• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? (TV) (all seasons).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yamstarch

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:22 pm Reply with quote
Oh look! Someone had a different opinion than mine on the internet! Let's explain this theory.

With that being said I enjoyed the first episode and I look forward to whats to come.

Last edited by Yamstarch on Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Shikiari

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:44 pm Reply with quote
Haha, brilliant!
I thought this would be right up his alley with Hestia also known as the Loli Boob Goddess after all.

While I personally don't think it's the best anime I've seen so far this season, it definitely has promise to be right up there if it can maintain the quality from a great first episode.
CoreSignal

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:55 am Reply with quote
Let me get this straight. So Bell lives with a loli goddess who has big boobs, twintails, and wears a skimpy outfit. She cooks for him, manages his stats, and keeps him "warm" at night. Yet, Bell is going after some girl he met in a cave. Is there something else going on here or is Bell another dense harem protag?

Sunny milk wrote:
If having an effeminate protag who develops a puppy crush on strongindependentwomanknight and then receives a super convenient asspull skill to get her numbers higher on the scouter powerlevel scale all in RPG serving, while we get in-the-face ecchi in our face as a side dish shouts "best anime" for you, then I'm doubting your objectivity and sanity on the subject...

hilarious Laughing
Ohoni

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:35 am Reply with quote
I don't think he's dense, he fairly clearly understands that she's attracted to him (or perhaps aggressively faking it for reasons we don't understand), but for whatever reason he's just clearly not into it, which is anyone's prerogative. It's a positive trait that he's not willing to take advantage of her feelings when he's not prepared to accept the responsibility for it.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:52 am Reply with quote
But isn't Hestia an unchanging goddess that it might be rude for a mortal who does not understand her to assume that romance is on the table. By the sounds of it he pretty much helped her by becoming a part of her family, she said something about her kind not really being able to grow and change like mortals. If he sees that her actions are that of goddess that has been alone for some time and is simply teasing someone who has become family to her, it really is not a stretch he would not consider that she feels that way.

I have also read or heard of a number of studies which gives basis to the hero saving the damsel scenario. Apparently things connected to fear can cause some pretty confusing changes in the brain where it can make the party that was afraid get feelings of love. Examples I have heard is that it is why for a first date the movie to watch is a horror. It is kind of why the main character was told what was great about the dungeon life, but he himself might be what you consider a victim of it. He really may not be at blame for suddenly choosing some girl he just met, he is suffering from what all damsels in distress suffer from on a biological level.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:24 am Reply with quote
Quote:
If he sees that her actions are that of goddess that has been alone for some time and is simply teasing someone who has become family to her, it really is not a stretch he would not consider that she feels that way.

Possible, but I really doubt it, based on the way he reacts. I believe that whether she really is interested in him or not, he's on the same page we are, but he's just not interested.
Sunny milk

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:54 am Reply with quote
CoreSignal wrote:
So Bell lives with a loli goddess who has big boobs

That's just a joke on her short height, but she isn't actually loli, or close to being one by any means.
CoreSignal

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:39 pm Reply with quote
@Ohoni, fair enough, maybe Bell just isn't interested in Hestia. I'm not familar with the LNs at all, so I'm curious if we'll get more of an explanation later on in the show.

DuskyPredator wrote:
Apparently things connected to fear can cause some pretty confusing changes in the brain where it can make the party that was afraid get feelings of love. Examples I have heard is that it is why for a first date the movie to watch is a horror. It is kind of why the main character was told what was great about the dungeon life, but he himself might be what you consider a victim of it. He really may not be at blame for suddenly choosing some girl he just met, he is suffering from what all damsels in distress suffer from on a biological level.

Interesting explanation. So there's actually some basis for it.

Sunny milk wrote:
That's just a joke on her short height, but she isn't actually loli, or close to being one by any means.

Nevermind then, so she isn't really a loli. What can I say? at least for me, it's hard to tell nowadays Smile
Key

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:22 pm Reply with quote
The novels are partly written in first person, so you get to see Bell's thought processes more cleanly. IIRC, he holds Hestia in too much esteem (the whole "separation between goddess and mortal" thing) to really see her as a viable love interest.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CoreSignal

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:04 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
IIRC, he holds Hestia in too much esteem (the whole "separation between goddess and mortal" thing) to really see her as a viable love interest.

Ah, that's a pretty reasonable explanation.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:07 pm Reply with quote
Well even if Bell isn't into Hestia, apparently everyone else is. She's got a ton of stuff on Pixiv already. Looks like she's the next big thing.

Personally that blue ribbon annoys me.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:55 pm Reply with quote
CoreSignal wrote:
Key wrote:
IIRC, he holds Hestia in too much esteem (the whole "separation between goddess and mortal" thing) to really see her as a viable love interest.

Ah, that's a pretty reasonable explanation.

Having personally experienced adolescence (albeit quite a long time ago) I don't find that explanation reasonable at all. If he could develop a crush on the Loki girl so obviously above him and never even spoken to he could also think about acting on his obvious attraction to the oversexed kami-sama that spends so much effort flirting with him.

Perhaps some magic is at work. From her side, though, it seems that she isn't seriously considering it. She just likes to tease even though she gets jealous.
CoreSignal

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:35 am Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
Having personally experienced adolescence (albeit quite a long time ago) I don't find that explanation reasonable at all. If he could develop a crush on the Loki girl so obviously above him and never even spoken to he could also think about acting on his obvious attraction to the oversexed kami-sama that spends so much effort flirting with him.

To be fair, I don't know if the author/show writers are having Bell act like how a real-life person would act in this kind of situation. But you bring up a really good point.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 5:10 am Reply with quote
I think you're underestimating people's power to miss what's right under their noses.
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:29 pm Reply with quote
Episode 2:

It was okay I guess. I think the spoiler[ED song is cute with the way it was done while Hestia goes on a little date with Bell this week as well. Speaking of which, there are some build-ups already and Freya seems to be a character of interest in this story now that she is introduced.]

Not much spoiler[Aiz though this week which is somewhat disappointing. Anyways, looking forward to next week.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 2 of 10