• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Food Wars! Shokugeki no Soma (TV) (all seasons).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GrayArchon

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 2:03 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
Banken wrote:
I don't see how someone who does all spices, all the time (all-spice, all the thyme?) could possibly be a well-rounded enough chef to past the Training Camp from Hell.

Good point, but this guy Akira Hayama is hardly the only one that you wonder how he survives/survived that environment. Literally hundreds of characters in the background have the same status. And not just the background characters either that includes the ensemble characters from the Polar Star dorm. Like that guy (forget the name) whom they are always crashing in on.

That characters specialize in something doesn't mean they're completely unable to do anything else. And Hayama's a particularly bad target to bash for this as you can make good use of spices for practically any dish.

Quote:
Totsuki Academy hardly seems like a school at all to begin with, at least at the high school level. No teaching happens at all -- instead what they do is merely culling. The "students" arrive with what they need to survive or they don't. In fact the only teaching that goes on is one student advising another the way Hayama did for Soma and Megumi this episode and Soma helping Megumi in the past.

Totsuki doesn't seem like a school because the series typically skips all the normal high school parts. Any regular classes are skipped, grades are mentioned only in passing, and the only cooking class that was shown was that first assignment where Soma met Megumi. The rest of the time the series skips over the classes and such because those are the boring parts of the setting.

Showing them sitting around endlessly in classes, or stressing over homework isn't very attractive to the reader or viewer. Cooking duels are attractive to the readers/viewers. A cooking survival gauntlet is attractive to the readers/viewers. A cooking tournament where the only thing on the line is reputation so anyone can lose is attractive to the readers/viewers. Math class is not attractive to the readers/viewers. Cooking class where the assignment is "make this recipe" and the students make the recipe without incident is not attractive to the readers/viewers.

Plus you're forgetting that Soma's considered a transfer student. All the other students have been attending Totsuki since middle school, where they learned all the stuff they're expected to know during high school.
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:05 pm Reply with quote
Episode 20:

Overall, consistent episode and I'm glad to see this arc underway in full. First half was buildup and prep and second part was the candidates becoming to work. I still find it amusing there's that one girl who is obsessed with Erina though.

Also, nice to see our judges speak their minds already like her:

Pretty excited to see how the rest of the arc will be adapted. Oh and Alice's assistant is a badass.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:32 pm Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
Oh and Alice's assistant is a badass.

Those mood swings, though. He and that red eyeball psycho girl really ought to get together.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 1:58 am Reply with quote
Not going to lie, I liked the witch thing, in general I like her character.
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:59 pm Reply with quote
Episode 21:

Nice episode. Megumi stunned the audience with her monkfish cutting skills. I'm even impressed by what she shown. Meanwhile, it's nice to see that Hisako destroyed her opponent Nao in a food battle. Although after that...I think she developed a new obsession on Hisako?? LOL.

The foodgasm reactions were awesome as usual imo with the metaphoric scenes.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Banken

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:53 pm Reply with quote
I am curious what the hell Alice is going to use that blast freezer for. You can see she has some foam makers in her cooking area too... but I suspect that might just be set dressing, since those are standard tools for molecular gastronomy (her specialty).
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:24 am Reply with quote
Episode 21

Still like the witch character.
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 3:01 pm Reply with quote
Episode 23

Great episode!

We got a lot of foodgasmic reactions because of how tasty the food were. And imo, all of them had their own style that was portrayed metaphorically with a good amount of details. My favorite would still be Ikumi's dish though as I am more of a fan of meat Razz

Seems like Akira's dish could be quite a powerhouse but we'll see next time. Hoping they adapt this with powerful details to cap off this season.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:17 pm Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
My favorite would still be Ikumi's dish

Fan service notwithstanding I think she has developed into an excellent character. She gets points in my book for her acknowledgement of Soma in her development. I hope Erina comes to regret casting her off.
GrayArchon

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 2:40 am Reply with quote
Whoever was in charge of the jiggling this episode went way overboard. I think they were trying to be comical about it, but it ended up being more laughably bad.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 12:38 am Reply with quote
Episode 23

Odd, it took hearing the words cinnamon and cardamom in one sentence, and then a song starts playing in my head. A song of someone who brings clothes coming undone, the curry fairy. Hosaka would fit perfectly in this show.

The show really makes me feel like I am missing out by not trying out brave new flavours. Also, the jiggling was to a ridiculous degree in this episode. What is wrong with Nikumi's chest?
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 3:44 pm Reply with quote
It looks like the finale (episode 24) is going to be delayed for a week...
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 10:37 pm Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
finale (episode 24) is going to be delayed for a week...

I guess that's ok. It gives us a chance to digest.
Gatherum

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 1:13 am Reply with quote
I see what you did there. Razz
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 1:33 am Reply with quote
Gatherum wrote:
I see what you did there. Razz

I did have to chew it over a bit first.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 8 of 13