• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Food Wars! Shokugeki no Soma (TV) (all seasons).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 6:00 am Reply with quote
ookamigirl wrote:
Erina can be such a biatch..

Exactly my thought.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 8:52 am Reply with quote
CrowLia.

The approach you describe is the same as the one in America, but that's a different philosophy than portrayed here. A high failure rate is a tool for indicating quality of the students who do make it out. It's a filtering mechanism (in America, this filtering mechanism takes place at admissions, not through the education process) that tells future employers more about a smaller number of students.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 1:50 pm Reply with quote
I guess it makes a little more sense from that perspective, but still to me it seems that, if you're one of the few who graduated from your school, that speaks good of you as a student and potential employee, but it would give me impression that the school you went to wasn't any good.

I guess it's a cultural thing. In my city, the schools with lowest graduation rates are the government schools on elementary and junior high level because those schools often have little funding, mostly unprepared teachers, bad equipment and so on. In high school, the schools with low graduation rate are overall considered the worst ones and have a big drop-out rat. Of the few that do graduate from these schools, only a handful pass the entry exams for the good universities. Basically, I associate low graduation rate with "This school isn't really, the students are not coming out prepared to continue their education/ professional lives". I'd never think "Oh, look, this school has a super low graduation rate, it must be the bestest school in the world."
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 2:42 pm Reply with quote
Because those school philosophies are geared towards getting everyone to graduate, of course you think those with low graduation rates are poor. Graduation is supposed to be the default in those schools.

If you know ahead of time that a school is designed to weed out those who can't excel (and the school in this show would advertise this), then you wouldn't draw the same conclusion. Think of it more as a challenging test, or certification that not everybody can pass the exam for.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 2:57 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
Is this a translation mistake, did they actually mean it has a 10% admittance rate? That would sound more like a high quality elite institution.

Yttrbio wrote:
(in America, this filtering mechanism takes place at admissions, not through the education process)

It looks to me like you guys are arguing the same side. Confused
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 2:59 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:

Is this a translation mistake, did they actually mean it has a 10% admittance rate? That would sound more like a high quality elite institution. Or is it my perception of what education should be that’s strange? Any opinions on this?

No, even with my limited Japanese, the translation is correct. 10% graduation rate. IF you watch the episodes, you should know this that exam is not an admission test. It's a transfer test.

Quote:
In my opinion, if a school is failing a vast majority of its own students means that either the teachers or the school system is NOT preparing the students properly.

This is a shonue battle manga(food battle), please don't compare it with real life. Not sure why people want to compare anime to real live.

Te school will probably kick you out if you lose a battle or something. If they have a 1v1 battle at the end of the first year, that's 50% student gone.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 5:22 pm Reply with quote
I just found out the manga actually has a cooking consultant, Yuki Morisaki.
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 3:01 pm Reply with quote
Episode 3:

Another fabulous episode of spoiler[food and reactions. I just find it so amusing at how Erina wants to get rid of Soma. Besides that, the episode introduced a good amount of potential rivals.]

Not sure how I feel about spoiler[Megumi though as she seems to lack confidence for now. Good to know she passed though as I want to see more of her potential in the future.]

And lol, that spoiler[metaphor of the honey, squid, etc was priceless] this episode. Delicious rather!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:14 pm Reply with quote
looks like 1% characters, 99% background characters. lol I know why they have 1% graduation rate.

is Erina Soma's Fiance? It looks like the grandfather like Soma, and we know Soma's father is not a nobody.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 3:02 am Reply with quote
I liked Megumi, makes the show more than just overpowered protagonist or something.
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 6:26 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
MaxSouth wrote:
The food (bacon with potatos) the lad has cooked is very unhealthy (too much calories, salt and cancerogenous frying)...

...easily warrants watching at least another episode.

I don't know... the second episode features eggs in a Shocked positive way... >.>

You probably do not mean it this way, but I have to say that there is nothing funny in people dying early because their bad eating habits, instilled by culture traits and traditions and via media exposure like this anime.

So yes, featuring chicken eggs without explaining that its use instead of healthy quail eggs can form eating habit that will harm you decades later, is bad.

People are ignorant, and they have to be educated that they should use other types of eggs in general because most of them will not be able to stop themselves from eating chicken eggs by the age when it will be harmful for them to continue. Eating chicken eggs until that age is healthy, but the issue is that people are so used to chicken eggs that they just keep doing it even when they should not any more.

So eating quail eggs from very beginning is much smarter choice and should be a rule for every thoughtful and responding parent (just like never going to MacDonaldses and KFCs with children).
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 6:56 am Reply with quote
Another promising new chef, Megumi, comes to the cooking school.
That school is just full of terrifying people.
Their rules & requirements are also absurdly high.
Soma did his thing again... too confident.
Megumi is Soma's total opposite.
The classes started & already things got complicated.
This anime is getting better! They reduced the fan service.
Now I'm glad that I didn't drop it.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:20 am Reply with quote
Quote:

So yes, featuring chicken eggs without explaining that its use instead of healthy quail eggs can form eating habit that will harm you decades later, is bad.

Lol, quail eggs. Are you in the pocket of Big Quail or something?
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 4:24 pm Reply with quote
I am "in the pocket" of science, and I am against spreading ignorance.

So I hate every harmful thing that is translatable to real life, shown in anime. Glorified smoking is especially horrible, but lesser things like smoked bacon (versus boiled bacon, which is much healthier) or chicken eggs are also annoying.

No matter what anime authors' intentions are, their work does influence children. So you can giggle however much you want, but those like me who have lost relatives to smoking and low density cholesterol are not laughing with you at all.

Last edited by MaxSouth on Sat Apr 18, 2015 4:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Galap

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 4:51 pm Reply with quote
MaxSouth, I get your point about smoking and unhealthy foods, but your claims about chicken eggs being unhealthy to eat after a certain age while quail eggs are somehow different is factually untrue.

Also, if you really want to change people's attitudes about food, it's probably best to be more construtive than saying that everyone is an ignorant fool.

Lately in the forums you've been very condescending and inflammatory, and I'm giving you a warning that such behavior can't continue if you want to keep your posting privileges.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 13