• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - The Anime Alphabet

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
omiya

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Just Passing Through wrote:

G for... Gosick. Someone not Australian license this already!
I for... IGPX Immortal Grand Prix, the last Saturday morning toon that I liked.

I've already raved about Gosick's EDs, having seen Lisa Komine live last year.

Resuscitated Hope (ED1):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8wghCdMncU

Unity (ED2):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lXMrkq-NEc

I haven't heard the Gosick OP "Destin Histoire" live but it's also great:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8q2aFHjZMlE

Back in 2011 I heard:
Go for It! / GRANRODEO (IGPX OP)
live.

Lantis recently put the official PV on their Youtube channel in high definition:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IH3RLvY8gRA

Enjoy...
Color2413

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:40 pm Reply with quote
OK, I confess! I'm that one guy who convinced Xebec to do all of that Fafner stuff Smile

Over on the "Mecha Talk" site, regarding "Exodus" they are saying things like, "I have no idea how they scrounged up this kind of budget for a TV series (in a 10-year-old, niche franchise) in this time frame of animation and economics. I feel like I'm watching something like the Rebuild of EVA movies on a weekly basis." On Anime Suki, I see, "Xebec must have scrimped and saved money earned from their other works and contract works to spend the money on this series. My enjoyment of this show so far is now compelling me to buy the BD discs to support them."

Amen, brother! I usually consume anime via streaming services, but I'm going to be first in line to buy the "Exodus" BD set when it's available in the US. Fortunately, "Exodus" BD sales in Japan are looking good. So maybe I'm not quite the only one!
Color2413

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:44 pm Reply with quote
M?

For me, "M" wil always stand for "Monster."
sirdano1

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 3:18 pm Reply with quote
I remember Eden of he East.
I also enjoyed it far more than Ergo Proxy, which I found incredibly boring.
Angel'sArcanum

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 3:18 pm Reply with quote
Mathias2001 wrote:
Zac wrote:
Mathias2001 wrote:
Nobody watching One Piece because its popular Rolling Eyes Find a better response please. One Piece is my favorite manga and even thought I know it isn't the best, I really like it and you can question my taste if you want but you can't say nobody watches something without actually knowing your facts but you clearly don't. Even if its exagerration of whatever.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joke

Wow, I didn't know since a joke is normally funny. There were a lot of funny jokes in this and I do say a lot but whether it was sarcasm or just to make people life, this one wasn't funny not because it was One Piece that was targetted but because it was dry(the joke).

Buzz Killington over here...

Mike's list had me thinking of my list of course, and so there are a lot of titles on here I still need to see but I imagine they will easily fill their spots, but I think it would be an interesting list. For me it goes:

A-Aria or Ashita no Joe (both tentative)
B-Bunny Drop: tender, raw, sweet, poignant...one of the best ever (although Kure-nai is a few shades better in my book)
C-Casshern Sins: the (presumably) first Tatsunoko revisionist entries that is beautifully melancholic and dystopian, coupling some thought provoking and tough ideas with insane action scenes to make a truly engrossing and complete package for a complex, dark and visceral series.
D-Dennou Coil (tentative)
E-Eureka Seven/Eva: Eureka Seven is an eclectic mecha fusion with a touching bildungsroman at the core of its sweeping story and Eva should go without saying but it might take the 'N' spot instead.
F-Fist of the North Star 1: a heavily misconstrued classic; rife with pathos and heavy political and philosophical ideas hidden behind acid flare machoness, it's one of the best shonen ever (for the first 108 episodes/15 volumes that is). (Runner up: FMA 2003).
G-Gankutsuou: a wonderfully enticing reimagining of a classic novel with brisk pacing, great production values, splendid intrigue, etc. Shame about the last two episodes though really.
H-(bunch of potential candidates) Hunter X Hunter 1999 (and GI onwards for 2011)/Hajime no Ippo/Hyouka (tentative)/Hyouge Mono (tentative): won't go into detail for this one, too many titles, too much stuff
I-Inferno Cop: need I say more?
J-Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: ...again, need I say more?
K-Kurenai: a sumptuous, heart-rending, visceral and tender blend of slice of life child-raising and familial politics that has one of the best endings imaginable, beautiful fight scenes, fascinating ideas and some of the most genuine relationships and interplay I've ever seen. (Runner-up: Kino's Journey).
L-Legend of the Galactic Heroes (tentative)
M-probably Mushishi, but there's a lot of tentative titles that look great: MS Gundam, Mirai Shonen Conan, Mononoke, Monster, Mawaru Penguindrum or Mysterious Cities of Gold
N-Noein/NG Evangelion/Nana (tentative): Noein was a really solid sci-fi series about youth, dimension-travelling, love, etc that is pretty fascinating; I'm not head over heels on it, but it's often overlooked.
O-Onii-sama e... (Dear Brother): not complete yet, but like what I imagine Marmalade Boy is like, Dear Brother is melodrama done right, I think it could be Dezaki's finest directorial work in that regard.
P-Ping Pong or tentative: Paranoia Agent/Planetes: Ping Pong is quite tame for both Yuasa and Matsumoto, but it is still pretty great with its character dynamics and story, it's a lot of fun.
Q-got nothin'
R-R.O.D the TV: my all-time favourite anime; an imaginative mix of a multitude of genres, a strangely intriguing and wild story, the most lovably touching familial bonds I've seen in anything bolstered by great characters and sharp bi-play in the script, a fine layer of existentialism, delightful music, an incredible dub and so much more, just incredible. (runner-up: RahXephon).
S-School Days: a scathing satire, a staggering Shakespearian tragedy and an uncompromising cautionary love story of the highest degree. A misappraised masterwork. (runner up: Samurai Champloo)
T-Tatami Galaxy: Yuasa's second best next to Kaiba - a darkly comic, flamboyant and zany Groundhog Day tale that is subtle, smart, witty and just a treat.
U-couldn't really conjure something without sort of cheating, it would be Usagi Drop/Uchuu Kaizoku Captain Harlock (tentative) or I guess Revolutionary Girl UTENA: I guess Utena would be the only real qualifier in this situation, but I'm not huge on it, although it's still quite funny, unique, powerful and charming in certain ways. It deserves its classic status for sure though.
V-Votoms (tentative)
W-Wolf's Rain: an eloquently produced post-apocalyptic spiritual odyssey and nuanced character study that you need to be really committed to to catch all the subtleties in all the lines of dialogue and events transpiring otherwise you might get bored of it. It took me 3 times to get through it start to finish after giving up twice at around 8 episodes, but then when I observed it closely all the way through, it emerged as one of my all time favs. I'm not big on the 4 episode finale as it was too drawn out, melodramatic and shaky in its ending, but Darcia's evolution complemented the themes well even if he was on the back burner through most of the series (would've been sufficient if they somehow got to Paradise through that city and what have you in the TV series finale, but ah well).
X-nothing really, maybe X TV if I'd seen it all?
Y-Yozakura Quartet: Hana no Uta/Yu Yu Hakusho or Yuri Kuma Arashi if it turns out: YQ and YYH are both really fun action series that have a lot of style and good action sequences, they are a joy to watch, and I like YYH all the way through really (although the final tournament was kind of lame in its innately anti-climactic setup and such).
Z-Zegapain (tentative)

And yeah, that's my rough A-Z really.

There's probably a bunch of stuff in my massive plan to watch list that has some gems in there, but I'm too lazy to look; even as I take a glance I noticed Xabungle which some of my pals really loved. Mike's titles that fit letters I missed are probably stuff I might like too.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 3:47 pm Reply with quote
Bravo, Mike, for mentioning Jungle wa itsumo Hare nochi Guu ("In the Jungle, it's mostly sunny with occasional Guu").

(And it's always the right time to bring up Nadesico, a series that improves with each revisit.)

I can't really manage a whole alphabet --- especially not after Angel'sArcanum's list, which reminds me of a lot of good series that I'd forgotten about.

But I can supplement:

A - Abenobashi Mahou Shotengai, which was one of those every-episode-in-a-different-style/different-world experiments. Maybe it would have worked better with a smaller episode count, but I thought it was a lot of fun (and even enjoyed the turn toward drama).

K - Kamichu!, a sweet, only-in-Japan series about a middle-school student who awakens one morning to find she's turned into a goddess. A little like another K-series: Koi, Inari, Kon-kon with its fluid transitions between the human and spirit worlds (and romantic frustrations!), but I think Kamichu! did it better. Someone license-rescue this series, please.

Another K series: Kyousogiga, loosely translated as "Capital Chaos Cartoon", about a trip to an alternate Kyoto. Colorful, noisy, with a big hammer. I was reminded of it by Rolling Girls recent arrival in their Kyoto. Someone license this series, please. (Fortunately, you can see it on Crunchyroll.)
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 3:53 pm Reply with quote
I think the A-V Club was right to put Eva under N, just as I think Votoms should have been your choice for A. Wink

My strongest agreement with the list is Zipang, which truly deserved to be completed. Kawaguchi somehow managed to restrain his usual jingoistic approach to his storytelling (or the anime writers toned him down?) and I always wanted to know what Takami was really up to. Guess I'll have to read the manga someday and find out.
Angel'sArcanum

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 3:53 pm Reply with quote
dm wrote:

I can't really manage a whole alphabet --- especially not after Angel'sArcanum's list, which reminds me of a lot of good series that I'd forgotten about.

But I can supplement:

A - Abenobashi Mahou Shotengai, which was one of those every-episode-in-a-different-style/different-world experiments. Maybe it would have worked better with a smaller episode count, but I thought it was a lot of fun (and even enjoyed the turn toward drama).

K - Kamichu!, a sweet, only-in-Japan series about a middle-school student who awakens one morning to find she's turned into a goddess. A little like another K-series: Koi, Inari, Kon-kon with its fluid transitions between the human and spirit worlds (and romantic frustrations!), but I think Kamichu! did it better. Someone license-rescue this series, please.

Another K series: Kyousogiga, loosely translated as "Capital Chaos Cartoon", about a trip to an alternate Kyoto. Colorful, noisy, with a big hammer. I was reminded of it by Rolling Girls recent arrival in their Kyoto. Someone license this series, please. (Fortunately, you can see it on Crunchyroll.)

Haha, glad you liked it. I definitely want to check out Abenobashi and Kamichu; the former I've seen clips of and it looks hilarious while the latter seems to be another well received gem from Hideyuki Kurata (R.O.D the TV, Now and Then, Here and There) that I've been trying to get around to. Kyosougiga I'm not huge on, but it was an interesting experience and I think it is still a classic too.

On another note, how could I forget Mad Bull 34!? That would probably be my M title for now; comic genius, Koike is brilliant. Episode 4 I disregard the existence of, but the rest is just perfect.

Last edited by Angel'sArcanum on Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 3:55 pm Reply with quote
Since the list uses both the transliterated Japanese titles, as well as the official English ones...
ANN's The Mike Toole Show's Mike Toole wrote:
For ‘Q,’ we'll go with Queen Millennia, because it starts with a Q and is better than Queen's Blade and Qwaser of Stigmata

(A.K.A. Seikon no Qwaser, or)
ANN's The Mike Toole Show's Mike Toole wrote:
SaiKano, also known as She: The Ultimate Weapon

...I'll take the liberty to sort them by their transliterated Japanese names.

The 'K' could be Kyōkaisen-jō no Horizon (Fukuyama Jun was really good at giving the MC's character life)

My 'Y' can be Yowamushi Pedal, Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Comedy wa Machigatteiru., or Yūki Yūna wa Yūsha de Aru

For my 'X' I would probably choose xxxHolic

As for 'Z', I enjoyed Zombie-Loan, both the plot (although the last 2 episodes felt somewhat rushed) and the music.

Last edited by Hameyadea on Sun Feb 22, 2015 3:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:18 pm Reply with quote
Mike Toole wrote:
He helps one of the good guys, a Terra Guardian, and loses his arm in the bargain. But that's okay, because the Guardian, Kuro, happens to have a spare for him.

Just a quick clarification. In the manga Keita loses an arm but in the anime spoiler[loses his heart] instead.

Mike, I am happy to read you have positive things to say about Kurokami. I get the impression that some people hate that show for reasons I am not completely sure. The show is not hated because of those expensive dub-only BD's from Bandai Entertainment, right?
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:24 pm Reply with quote
Interesting list, though the only two things I took away from this is that I'm glad to someone else want a NA release of Hyouka (and Kyousogiga) Laughing
Bluenoser

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:34 pm Reply with quote
I'm writing this before I actually go through the entire article because in the beginning something leaped out at me, and so far it seems no-one else in the comments has noted it. There was no show called Odd Job Jim, now, Odd Job JACK, that I was big fan of. Pity they didn't keep the Betty character longer, but the sister and especially the grandmother were hilarious. Not to mention on of the catchier opening tunes I've heard in some time.
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:38 pm Reply with quote
Mathias2001 wrote:
Zac wrote:
Mathias2001 wrote:
Nobody watching One Piece because its popular Rolling Eyes Find a better response please. One Piece is my favorite manga and even thought I know it isn't the best, I really like it and you can question my taste if you want but you can't say nobody watches something without actually knowing your facts but you clearly don't. Even if its exagerration of whatever.

Wow, I didn't know since a joke is normally funny. There were a lot of funny jokes in this and I do say a lot but whether it was sarcasm or just to make people life, this one wasn't funny not because it was One Piece that was targetted but because it was dry(the joke).

I think the consensus has been in that One Piece is both Good and Popular. But there are plenty of veterans and newbies alike that can't chip into a show -that size-. it is in the odd place that while it is popular with the demographic that got into it, is also pretty unpopular with other demographics. It is a victim of it's own success in a way that is rare so it becomes funny just musing on it.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:40 pm Reply with quote
Since all the cool kids are doing it:

A for Abenobashi Magical Shopping Arcade...maybe Attack on Titan if the following seasons don't prove a complete disappointment.
B for Baccano!, one of my favorite series of all time.
C for Cowboy Bebop, it's an obvious choice but the right one.
D for Denno Coil
E for Excel Saga
F for Future Boy Conan, with Fullmetal Panic? Fumoffu as my runner up.
G for Gankutsuou with Ghost in the Shell: SAC as a runner up.
H for Hale and Guu, just like you... but you've got to mention Hiabane Renmei.
I for Irresponsible Captain Tylor
J for Jellyfish Princess, with an extreme lack of competition as I've watched all of like two series that start with "J" in the English title.
K for Kaiba, hands down.
L for Legend of the Galactic Heroes
M for Macross Plus, unless it has to be a TV series, in which case Mushi-shi.
N for Nodame Cantabile, first season only. Yes, I like it more than Neongenesis Evangelion, though I love that one too.
O for Ouran High School Host Club, with runner up Outlaw Star.
P for Paranoia Agent, with runners up Penguindrum, Princess Tutu, and yes, Paradise Kiss.
Q... I have literally never watched an anime that begins with Q.
R for Revolutionary Girl Utena
S for Sailor Moon S. Definitely not Saikano, that gave me serious Darkness Induced Apathy.
T for Trigun, my first anime love (hence the nickname), but The Twelve Kingdoms and Tiger & Bunny are worth the mention.
U...I started Utawarerumono once, I didn't finish it, and I haven't watched anything else. Let's include Utena here because it's good enough to be mentioned twice.
V for Vision of Escaflowne
W for Wolf's Rain
X for X, though the second season of xxxHOLiC is actually pretty good.
Y for Yawara!
Z for Zegapain
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:52 pm Reply with quote
Mathias2001 wrote:
Zac wrote:
Mathias2001 wrote:

There's dry humor, and then there's meta-humor.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5