• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - The Anime Alphabet

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ralphmerridew

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:53 pm Reply with quote
It's a variant on the old joke "Nobody goes there anymore because it's too crowded."

I'm a bit disappointed he didn't choose "Heat Guy J", "The Big O", or "X / 1999"
Angel'sArcanum

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:12 pm Reply with quote
ralphmerridew wrote:
It's a variant on the old joke "Nobody goes there anymore because it's too crowded."

I'm a bit disappointed he didn't choose "Heat Guy J", "The Big O", or "X / 1999"

Depends what you mean by "X/1999" I presume you mean X TV, because we certainly wouldn't want Rintaro's film (not that it counts).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Covnam

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:30 am Reply with quote
This was a good article, I also liked the idea of these not being the best, but some top picks.
Sorry to hear you didn't like The Critic, but I remember it being a very funny show. Sure, it doesn't compare to Bebop, but it was great at the time. Though I'm guessing it wouldn't hold up for anyone who didn't get all the timely references.
Good list in the article and many posted before. Irresponsible Capt. Tylor would be my choice for best "I" as well.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:33 am Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
E for Excel Saga
Q... I have literally never watched an anime that begins with Q.

You should have used the "Quack Experimental Anime Excel Saga" title, and picked a different "E." Wink
EricJ2

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:02 am Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
Since all the cool kids are doing it:
Q... I have literally never watched an anime that begins with Q.

Looks like I'll have to raise with a pair of queens: Cool
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJS-llyojr8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9q0o8XhUu0Q
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:56 am Reply with quote
I suppose this will be ignored, but I agree with Mr. Toole's implication that after looking over "the best animated TV shows ever A-Z!" list, not only were most of these not "the best" they weren't even good. Actually, I have seen most if not all of them and that is my opinion. Without compiling a list and keeping to the "anime only" theme, I second other's lists with the likes of Cowboy Bebop, E7, R.O.D., xxxHolic and add Akira only because I first saw it on TV (so it counts). I also will assert that Roujin Z counts for an entry in "Z" just to be ornery and beacuse it was also on TV per the previous reasoning.
Hellfish

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:14 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

I'm not about to watch Candy Candy unless some better quality gets released (Akage no Anne BD anyone?) so I instead started on a show that seems ridiculously similar and was probably directly inspired from it: Lady Georgie. It's alright, and the detailing is obviously better being from 1983, but she needs to grow up faster. I think it's also more accessible at less than half the length.

Lady Georgie was ilustrated by Yumiko Igarashi, who also drawn Candy Candy... Razz
EricJ2

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:21 am Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
I suppose this will be ignored, but I agree with Mr. Toole's implication that after looking over "the best animated TV shows ever A-Z!" list, not only were most of these not "the best" they weren't even good.

And most of them were from the cult-cable Nick/CN "MTV nostalgia" era:
Adventure Time instead of ALFTales? (Or Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes?)
Daria instead of Danger Mouse?
Gravity Falls instead of Garfield?
Rocky & Bullwinkle runner-up to Ren & Stimpy?? Someone's in for a beatin'. Mad

Last edited by EricJ2 on Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Joe Carpenter

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:22 am Reply with quote
I am the resident "Kawaii as F*ck" on The AV Club and yeah, I agree that list was pretty garbage.

But I feel the need to set the record straight a bit about The AV Club, number 1 is it used to be a really, really great website, but there was an exodus of all it's best writers in 2013 and unfortunately the site has been on a downward spiral pretty much ever since.

However the community in the comments on the site tend to be great, completely great and I'm proud to be a part of it.
FlamingFirewire

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:27 am Reply with quote
So I guess this is what happened with the Isshoni shorts Anime hyper

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2015-02-23/issho-ni-training-training-with-hinako-recruits-game-staff/.85297

What timing!
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:34 am Reply with quote
Hellfish wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

I'm not about to watch Candy Candy unless some better quality gets released (Akage no Anne BD anyone?) so I instead started on a show that seems ridiculously similar and was probably directly inspired from it: Lady Georgie. It's alright, and the detailing is obviously better being from 1983, but she needs to grow up faster. I think it's also more accessible at less than half the length.

Lady Georgie was ilustrated by Yumiko Igarashi, who also drawn Candy Candy... Razz

Lady Georgie is much shorter, naughtier and more dramatic (if even possible) than Candy Candy.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:42 am Reply with quote
Please keep in mind that listing posts are not allowed; if you see a post of yours missing, it's probably because it was a list with little or no commentary.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:49 am Reply with quote
I remember Witch Hunter Robin's collapse in popularity, when it aired it was hailed as the next big anime hit, and Scifi was supposed to make a live action series based on it. Then people began to talk about how it takes 16 episodes (out of a 26 episode series) for it to get going and by the time hit Adult Swim it was forgotten.
zawa113

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:23 am Reply with quote
Oooh, I love alphabet favorite games! But I'm not doing the whole alphabet (I don't feel like it, and VOTOMs and Nadesico would've been picks for me anyway)

Argentosoma is an underrated 'A' for me. I'll admit, it does take its sweet time, could probably have been done in 13 eps, but I do like the atmosphere a lot. If it looks like you might like it, I'd give it a shot.

Fantastic Children should be so much more loved than it is. It looks kiddy, but it treats its audience with respect and intelligence. It's a shame its out of print, I'd love Discotek to rescue it (but dear lord, not the dub, that can stay in the rubbish heap)
Or it could go to FLAG, which sold criminally poorly too. I can't think of another first person view show, but it really works here.

Gungrave should've been more popular. Tony Oliver wished it was when asked at a panel, and that encouraged me to check it out and man, he was spot on there. Though the first half is much stronger than the second half, where the "based on a video game" thing is really apparent while the first half is just really good (though the finale makes up for 8 mediocre eps imo). And the dub is really damn good.

Kaiba is something that I really wish would get released over here (though you lucky Aussies get it)

Oban Star-Racers is a strange Japanese-France mix, but it's a really good all ages series too. It's part of why France is my second choice for animation many times, they make good stuff (Wakfu, anyone?)

Princess Tutu is quite popular on these forums (I'd like to think I keep bugging people to watch it and maybe that had a part in it), but not so much outside of it. But it's so damn good, I just don't know what else to say.

RahXephon gets pushed aside as "just another Eva clone", but other than teens piloting mechs and being serious, it's not at all like it tonally or story wise. And Ayato isn't whiny and annoying. I liked it even more the second time I saw it, I wish that were true of more anime in general.

'S' is impossible to pick! There's crazy comedy Sexy Commando, if you're a fan of Cro High, that's all you need to know. There's Scrapped Princess, which I believe was not saved from Bandai's scrap-heap during people taking their old stuff left and right. There's Shingu: Secret of the Stellar Wars, a softer scifi with great characters and character interactions where the adults are just as important and interesting as the kids. But I have to give it to Simoun because you try convincing someone that a series where lesbian kisses power flying machines is anything other than annoying fan service schlock garbage. But there it is, and it's one of the best series out there and can be bought for under $20 at that.

Toward the Terra needs more love. The anime series, movie, and manga all came out here, all to not enough love.

Anyhow, I believe I shall make a short list of manga, because I read lots of that:
13th Boy, Antique Bakery, Banana Fish (and Basara and Baby & Me, B is a good letter), Cipher, Dr. Slump, Eensy-Weensy Monster, Flower of Life (and Firefighter Daigo), Genkaku Picasso, Hikaru no Go, Kiichi and the Magic Books (and Kazan and Kekkaishi, and Kodocha), Lychee Light Club, Maison Ikkoku, NG Life, Ode to Kirihito, Peepo Choo, Sanctuary, Twin Spica, Uzumaki, Vinland Saga, What's Michael?
Yeah, missing some letters there, either I haven't read anything in that letter, or nothing good enough.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:42 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Please keep in mind that listing posts are not allowed; if you see a post of yours missing, it's probably because it was a list with little or no commentary.

Then, how does this thread not compromise the "no list" rule?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5