• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Update Suggestions to The Rules

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CrowLia

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:20 pm Reply with quote
^This is like the fourth time you try to push this issue and question the mods' decision on that one conversation, and been asked to stop repeatedly, why are you still insisting on this? In reality this "language barrier" has never been an issue, and Teh Rules are not about which incidents you don't want repeated.

By your own suggestion, we should also put up a guide for non-native English speakers in the forum. I mean, if British people suffer from a language barrier in this 'Murican dominated forum, it should go without saying that French and Portuguese and Japanese and nameyourcountryans should experience an even LARGER problem. But once again, the reality is that this "barrier" is of little to no importance and almost irrelevant to most of the problems we've had in the forum.
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:29 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
^This is like the fourth time you try to push this issue and question the mods' decision on that one conversation, and been asked to stop repeatedly, why are you still insisting on this? In reality this "language barrier" has never been an issue, and Teh Rules are not about which incidents you don't want repeated.

Well as I said, it did happened one time. How do you know it won't happen again?

Quote:
By your own suggestion, we should also put up a guide for non-native English speakers in the forum. I mean, if British people suffer from a language barrier in this 'Murican dominated forum, it should go without saying that French and Portuguese and Japanese and nameyourcountryans should experience an even LARGER problem. But once again, the reality is that this "barrier" is of little to no importance and almost irrelevant to most of the problems we've had in the forum.

If you didn't read my previous post I'm talking about some word differences in the English language when it comes to British and American English, I'm not talking about non-native speakers (why would a person that doesn't speak English would come to ANN for since they don't know English).

Crowlia, let me ask you a question: Do you know what "flying squad" are? If you don't, then have a look. How many average Americans (that never been to the UK or watch any entertainment from the UK) do you know what or who the flying squads are? I doubt your average Americans may not know or heard of it.

How many average American know about calling their boss, "governor" in the UK?

As I said, even the word f*g doesn't mean homophobic slur in UK English, it means cigarettes in UK English. That can cause confusion amongst average American who may not know this.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CrowLia

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:59 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:

Well as I said, it did happened one time. How do you know it won't happen again?

Thanks for missing the point of "please stop trying to revive this particular controversy when TWO mods have already made a decision on it"

Quote:
Do you know what "flying squad" are?

Why should I know the slang term for a specialized crime division in UK? I'm not even American. That's my point. If you're going to make such a fuss about the language barrier between Britain and America, then you should make an equal fuss about language barriers with non-English-speaking countries. And even if Americans don't know what a flying squad is, what's the problem with it? Has this particular term ever caused a controversy? Have the words f*g or f*ggot ever been used in this forum by UK users in a way that caused a problem? This is my other point. It is an incredibly insignificant matter, and not worth making a fuss about.

It's not like that one controversy that you keep trying to defend was a complete misunderstanding like you know "Oh no, this user got punished for using this racist slur, but in truth he wanted to say he pinched his ankle, not talk about the Japanese!"

Say what you want about "language barriers", I'm not a native English speaker and I know the word "n*gg*" is not to be used in an English discussion, even if the horrible connotation associated to it is not part of MY culture. If I, a non-native English speaker can figure that out, other English speakers should be perfectly capable of doing it too.
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:20 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
mdo7 wrote:

Thanks for missing the point of "please stop trying to revive this particular controversy when TWO mods have already made a decision on it"

Which luckily didn't get out of control if the user in question didn't brought this up. If the mod didn't realize his English was based on UK English it might have led to the person being moderated when the user didn't know his "English" was deemed "offensive".

you also wrote:
I wrote:
Do you know what "flying squad" are?

Why should I know the slang term for a specialized crime division in UK? I'm not even American.

You weren't supposed to know it, I wanted to test you to see what the term "flying squad" meant to you before clicking on the link to see what it really meant. Just because you're not an American doesn't mean you should ignore language barrier within the English language just like there is differences between Latin American Spanish and Iberian Spanish, I'm sure there are language barriers within Spanish language too. George Bernard Shaw, and Oscar Wilde both author of from England have said that "both US and UK are divided by a common language".

Quote:
Say what you want about "language barriers", I'm not a native English speaker and I know the word "n*gg*" is not to be used in an English discussion, even if the horrible connotation associated to it is not part of MY culture. If I, a non-native English speaker can figure that out, other English speakers should be perfectly capable of doing it too.

Well it's good that you know that term, but that doesn't mean other non-English speakers may not know of it. I didn't know fa**ot was a British food (rather then a homophobic slur) until I found out about it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:42 pm Reply with quote
There is no "language barrier" between US and UK English. While there may be differences in some words, phrases, or slang they do not constitute a "language barrier." Tempest has already said he does not want the rules to be a diatribe that some lawyer thought of. This is an online anime forum, not a dictionary, thesaurus, or Rosetta Stone. We cannot go into detail over every single minute possible problem that could occur nor can we go into every single possible minute slang word difference within the English language via region/dialect/whatever else. It's just impossible without making the rules 5 miles long. If a user from a different region uses a particular slang or word/phrase that is frowned upon here without knowing that it is then we will simply educate them as to why it's frowned upon. Simple enough. You really need to let issues go that mods have told you to let go mdo. As well as these "tests" of other people.

TsunaReborn! wrote:
Is it worth popping a short addition to point 4 ("swearing is frowned upon") stating something like sexist, racist and homophobic comments are not tolorated.

Rule 1 Be Polite.

1A. Abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-charged, dangerous or illegal material will be removed from the forum by moderators. Depending on the severity of the incident, your IP address may be retained or reported to law enforcement, as necessary.

In my mind that covers it right there. I mean I honestly don't know how else it could be explained anymore clearly than that. I think if a user cannot grasp that sexist, homophobic, or racist comments (or any derogatory comments) are not allowed after reading that rule then they're probably not going to last long here anyways.
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 3:22 am Reply with quote
"Material" made me think images and links, but I'm just being pedantic now Laughing

CrowLia - I think there are very few brits that even know what the Flying Squad is - the next time you are at a pub quiz and it come up you have a definate point Wink
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 3:35 am Reply with quote
Quote:
if a user cannot grasp that sexist, homophobic, or racist comments (or any derogatory comments) are not allowed after reading that rule then they're probably not going to last long here anyways.

It strikes me that a user who would think that using such comments is somehow okay in any context does not belong in this forum (or in society in general).

@Tsuna: Isn't that great? I fly across the Atlantic to participate in pub quizes twice a week! This is a life-changer, man! Laughing
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 3:55 am Reply with quote
Laughing I'm glad to hear that you participate in British culture so often! I'll join you next week, if you fly into Bristol airport I can pick you up and drop you off; I will warn you that I struggle with questions 5 and onward but I also struggle with standing upright and walking in a straight line at that point Wink
mdo7

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:37 am Reply with quote
All right, fine. I'll leave the UK/US English differences at that and won't go over this. But still I hope no future accident will happen on a ANN thread over "a word difference".
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 1:54 pm Reply with quote
If there is I'm sure the mods will be able to step in and clear up any confusion; also there are an abundance of American, Bristish, Australian etc. speakers who can (hopefully) calmly explain, in an attempt to educate the user on the difference in meaning.

If someone uses a phrase or word without knowing it is offensive then there was no intent to offend thus shouldn't cause too much of an issue. If the user knew and there was malicious intent then, I'm sure, something will be done like any other offender. Very Happy
mdo7

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 4:38 pm Reply with quote
{Edit: Were you not just warned to drop the topic and move on? I do not know how much more plainly it can be said. You were told previously to drop the subject, and I just had to reiterate that to you above. Yet you continue with it. I'm sorry but this is the last warning on the subject you are getting. ~ Psycho 101}
Crisha

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:48 pm Reply with quote
Updated submission

Disclaimer: All posts made to these forums express the views and opinions of the author, not Anime News Network. Additionally, statements by Anime News Network staff on this forum are personal opinions and may not reflect the views of Anime News Network as a whole.

1. Above all else: Be Polite
    1. Harassing, slanderous, threatening, dangerous or illegal material will be removed from the forum by moderators. Depending on the severity of the incident, your IP address may be retained or reported to law enforcement, as necessary.
    2. Swearing is frowned upon. If you disagree with a poster, disagree respectfully, or do not disagree at all.
    3. Many people first come to our forum to ask questions on how or why. Please treat them with respect. Do not respond to questions from new visitors with sarcasm and/or hostility. Even if you think that that it's just plain common sense, please be polite in your responses. If you are unable to provide a polite answer, then don't say anything at all.

2. Stay on topic
    1. Discussion should be related to anime, anime news, Anime News Network, the forum topic, or in some way relevant to this website. Excessively off-topic ("OT") posts will be locked or deleted.

3. All conversations must be in English on the forums and all users are expected to have a working knowledge of proper English
    1. We are not an IM chatroom; we expect proper grammar, spelling, and punctuation.
    2. If English is your Second Language, please say so in your first post. If you have a disability that impacts your writing ability (e.g., dyslexia), then please say so in your first post.

4. Post relevant, thoughtful responses; avoid lists and one-liners
    1. Discussions should carry some measure of intelligence to them. Consider if what you are writing is relevant or important to others. If it does not contribute to the discussion, then do not post it.
    2. Please post detailed answers to questions; lists and one-liners do not contribute. A more in-depth discussion about listing and one-liners can be found here.

5. Do not excessively quote
    1. If you are responding to a single idea, quote only that relevant part. Elaboration on what constitutes as excessive quoting and how to avoid it can be found here.

6. Moderation
    1. Moderators have the right to lock, delete or modify any post at any time for any reason. If a thread is locked, that means the subject may not be brought up again. If you feel a thread should be locked, click on any post's red-exclamation mark icon.
    2. Moderators are volunteers; they lack the time to read every single post. If you come across a questionable/objectionable post, then please click on the red-exclamation-mark icon and fill out the accompanying form.
    3. No "Back Seat Moderating." If you know a thread is going to be locked, do not post in it, posting in threads that are clearly going to be locked will be dealt with as "trolling " type behavior. Do not berate posters for breaking the rules, that is the job of the ANN moderators and admins. Please report the post and, if you think it is necessary, contact a moderator or admin.

7. Commerce
    1. No Commerce is allowed outside of either the Retail or Subscriber Personal Sales Forum. ANN's forums are not to be used to sell, buy or transfer goods or services. Users may not post their own commercial endeavors or link to commercial websites unless specifically requested by another poster. Personal websites may be linked as necessary, provided that it is requested or relevant to the discussion. Users who have been hired to advertise for specific items will be banned.
    2. Subscribers may use the Subscriber Personal Sales Forum to sell their personal property (see rules here).
    3. Commerce in the Retail Forum is limited to commercial websites only. Individuals seeking to sell items in the regular Retail Forum are not permitted. Links to online auctions are not permitted in the regular retail forum. Websites that sell items in violation of Rule #8 will be removed and their URLs banned.

8. No bootlegs, fansubs, scanlations, etc.
    1. Users may not request or link to bootlegs, fansubs, scanlations, active fan-translating groups, peer-to-peer networks, timed scripts, MP3s, unauthorized movie clips, or websites that house these groups or products. Links to and discussions about websites that provide authorized, legal downloads are permitted.

9. Use the search engine and read the site
    1. This should be obvious, but people regularly ask questions that have recently been covered in other forum threads on in ANN's articles. So before asking a question, put the keywords into the ANN search engine and the forum search engine. Checking the Encyclopedia may be a good idea too! (depending on your question).
    2. Do not make threads or posts requesting when an anime is going to get another season, license, dub, etc. If there's any kind of official news in regards to additional anime seasons, licenses, dubs, etc. ANN will be sure to report it. Use the Encyclopedia and search engine to see if any official announcements or news were made on the subject. Further discussion on speculations can be found here.

10. No necroposting except where allowed
    1. Necroposting is the act of resurrecting very old threads. Threads in the Talkback Forums have 2 months of shelf life from the date of the latest forum post. All other threads have 12 months of shelf life from the date of the last post made.
    2. Exceptions to the necroposting rule are Official Review threads in the Talkback Forum, recommendation threads in the Anime Forum, and dedicated series threads in the Anime Forum. Those threads do not time out. Further discussion on necroposting can be found here.

11. When in doubt about spoilers, use spoiler tags
    1. Guidelines on when to use spoiler tags can be found go here

Last edited by Crisha on Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:25 am; edited 2 times in total
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:19 am Reply with quote
The last line of rule #7c incorrectly makes a reference to rule #9 when it should instead be making reference to rule #7a.

(or that's the way it seems to me, at least)
Crisha

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:26 am Reply with quote
Ah, actually, it's in violation of Rule #8 (no bootlegs). Thanks for pointing it out.
configspace

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:30 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-charged, dangerous or illegal material will be removed from the forum by moderators. Depending on the severity of the incident, your IP address may be retained or reported to law enforcement, as necessary.

You say you didn't want the rules to sound like legalese, yet this already sounds like legalese designed to cover all your bases. The "obscene, vulgar and hateful and sexually-charged" portions very subjective, relative, and either unenforceable as-is or hypocritically approached considering ANN's own content.

Some schools and city councils have panicked over DBZ and other tame comics considering them literally child-porn and too "sexually-charged" (to use your own terms) for even young adults (high schoolers). As for "vulgar", consider the recent crackdown by China right now and by other countries of similar disposition. As for "hateful", remember what motivated the Hebdo attacks and the Danish attacks

So why not just leave 1a at:
Quote:
Harassing, slanderous, threatening, dangerous or illegal material will be removed from the forum by moderators.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8