• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Tales Of The Industry - The Disastrous Premiere of Tokyo Godfathers

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:09 pm Reply with quote
bob_loblaw wrote:
And that '02 AXNY/BAAF 'marriage' was, uh, incredibly odd. I'd love to hear the stories behind that one. But I will always remember that it gave me and my friends a chance to chat up Akitaro Daichi; who was super chill and amiable. Plus, the Cowboy Bebop creative team of Yoko Kanno, Shinichiro Watanabe and Toshihiro Kawamoto were also a treat.

That's the one I attended, my first attending at an anime convention. I saw the Cowboy Bebop movie English dub premiere and got a movie poster signed by Watanabe, Kawamoto, and Kanno, which hangs on my wall to this day. One of the best experiences in my anime fandom.

I regret not getting Yoshiyuki Tomino's autograph, though, since he was there for the US release of Char's Counterattack. And I believe Mayumi Tanaka was at the AX thing. But I was still new to cons back then and had little patience for waiting for things.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
EricJ2

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:
Kon didn't like this trip for sure, but reading of the nonstop disasters of the showing and how Dreamworks handled the promotional materials and cover, I don't blame him.

Although Dreamworks literally didn't know what they had or how to sell it--
Dreamworks snapped up the latest critically-acclaimed Kon film very, very, very QUICKLY after Disney got their Oscar for Spirited Away, and tried to create a new arthouse sub-label for it and other future import-animation acquisitions, until they came up against the two-ten elephant in the room:
How do you actually SELL a Kon film to a public expecting coherent audience-friendly genre anime films, as it's a little harder than Disney selling a Miyazaki?

Needless to say, it wasn't a question that kept them up nights, as the whole point was getting one in the first place to compete, and when it didn't do its job, they moved on to something that did. One would be wise not to expect subtlety or insight.
Animerican14

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:29 pm Reply with quote
That was really informative! I already knew about Satoshi kin's disdain for Millennium Actress's DVD/poster art, but I didn't consider at all how it may have affected his mood even at the Big Apple Anime Fest. (Was it from this point on that word spread that Kon hated that art in the first place?)

It actually encouraged me to dig up my December 2003 Newtype USA issue (which thankfully took no time at all), and sure enough, there was an article in there on Tokyo Godfathers' NYC Premiere, just as I remembered. It even had an interview that Newtype (Japan) conducted with Kon, which included some talk on the premiere itself.

Newtype USA Vol 2 No 12 wrote:

Newtype Japan (NT): The premiere of Tokyo Godfathers was a big success, wasn't it?
Satoshi Kon (SK): I got a very strong sense from the wonderful audience reaction behind me as I was watching it. It made me so proud to be the director. There were a few mishaps during the screening, like the film suddenly cutting out and stuff, but the fans just put that aside. I could really feel their excitement for the show, which was very moving.

Didn't sound like too big of a deal in the interview, by the sounds of it! Laughing Wonder how long it took for Kon to get over it, if he hadn't tried to forgive and forget already by that point. If he had forgiven it, maybe it wouldn't have done too much harm to bring that back up. (Then again, maybe he was shooting daggers with his eyes at the NT interviewer while calmly and smilingly saying what he did, who knows?)

And thinking of Big Apple Anime Fest…. woah, 2003's was the last one? (And only the third one!?) Haha, I remember actually wanting to go there while in Middle School and marking it in my calendar, maybe even for the one that apparently didn't exist in 2004. Think it was thanks to the CPM DVDs that I owned that I was even aware of it in the first place!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
mdo7

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:54 pm Reply with quote
Wow, this is a very interesting story I've heard. I'm sorry about what happen back then. Sad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Doodleboy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:40 pm Reply with quote
... Well now I know why you hate film as a project format. (not being serious).
belvadeer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:10 pm Reply with quote
Justin, you poor soul, I'm so sorry you went through that. That must have been a horrid experience. D:
chito895

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:26 pm Reply with quote
I know it isn't at the same level, but this reminds of all the group projects that I've had. I can't remember a single time that it was perfect or at least with few problems.

I'm really looking forward to reading this column next time, it will be very interesting as this!
SaiyamanMS

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:56 pm Reply with quote
Certainly not a disaster on this level, but this story reminds me of the Sydney screening of the first two Madoka Magica movies I went to in... I believe December 2012? They were apparently playing the films from a Blu-Ray disc which apparently had some issues with it leading to the films cutting out several times. (I believe they even ended up switching to a different Blu-Ray player.) It was quite the unique experience though and the crowd kept itself entertained in the dark by creating shadow puppets with Kyubey plushes and various jokes and comments.
roxybudgy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:43 pm Reply with quote
Reminds me of the time I went to watch Avatar at the cinema. There was a blackout halfway through the movie, which lasted 10-15 minutes before they were able to resume the movie.

Back on the topic of anime and conventions, I'm usually assigned to supervise screenings when I volunteer for the local con. One year, we had an issue were the distributors had not yet provided the DVDs required for the scheduled screenings. So for the first screening of the day, instead of the scheduled series, I was told to show the first 2 episodes of Higurashi No Naku Koro Ni Kai. After my first shift, I had some free time to wander around.

My next shift a few hours later was when Higurashi was meant to be screened according to the schedule, so again I sat through the first two episodes of Higurashi.

My third and last shift for the day, we still had DVDs missing for scheduled screenings, so I was told we had to show something else, and one of my fellow volunteers who was unaware of what had happened throughout the day said, "Hey, why don't we show Higurashi?", and I'm like... oh gawd, just how many times do I have to watch this today?

The next year, to avoid the missing DVD debacle, they decided to have all screenings ready to go on a hard drive. Prior to the start of the first screening, I tested to make sure that everything was working. But I soon found that the files on the hard drive were dubbed, with no subtitle option (screenings were supposed to be Japanese audio with subs), and some of the files were Japanese audio with no subs. We ended up sceening the dubbed files until someone was able to run around to the traders area and grab DVDs from the anime distributors.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:54 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad to see a column like this on ANN; This is perhaps one of a couple columns on this site that doesn't completely feel like an ad. One suggestion though - It would also be nice if this column or something similar could also include stories that ANN members have had with industry guests as well. I'm sure there are many members who have had interesting experiences with guests who might like to anonymously talk about it.
ShaolinWolf

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:30 pm Reply with quote
Until reading this article, I'd always wondered why Otakon and Anime Expo don't have more film premieres, especially since it's the only way left of drumming up interest in video rooms. But considering all the potential mishaps during the projection stage - not to mention the inherent risk with shipping film prints across the globe - and it's simply less distressing to show whatever DVDs/Blu-rays the NA Distributors offer up instead.
jdnation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:13 am Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:

Was that the cover Kon didn't like? Someone else drew it?

So was this the original Japanese cover? I guess it's all in the expression and much more lively and artistic...

This reminds me that I have to buy Tokyo Godfathers. Was hoping for a blu-ray release, but I guess that's never happening...
taster of pork

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:00 am Reply with quote
Laughing Great story. I would love to see Miyazaki react to a situation like this.
kevinx59

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:09 am Reply with quote
That was a really interesting story, a shame about the projector stuff though. And for the autographs, what else could the attendees have brought since he refused to sign Millennium Actress? Perfect Blue or the Japanese release of Actress? Weren't those the only things of his available at the time? If so, your choices were super limited. Was Memories on dvd yet?
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:40 am Reply with quote
bob_loblaw wrote:

And that '02 AXNY/BAAF 'marriage' was, uh, incredibly odd.

IIRC, AX was considering expanding East, so they teamed up with BAAF to see what it's like in NY. I think it was in one of those con special promo DVDs that they used to give away.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5