• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Yoshiyuki Tomino Shares His Appreciation for The Wind Rises

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
the-antihero

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:09 pm Reply with quote
Jayhosh wrote:
Ugh, I can't stand it when people tell others that they're "reading too much into movies." Not only movies, but just art in general. I would never tell anyone what they personally interpreted from a work was wrong. We're all different people, with different lives and experiences. Not one person views anything the same as the other. That's why art is so intriguing in the first place! How can you possibly claim that what someone got out of a work wasn't genuine? We all have our own unique interpretations of a work, including the director. It's ridiculous to say that only the director of a film has any say in what a movie was about, or symbolized. Sure, their view of it might hold more ground than others, but they're still just one person. This is why psychological works are so popular with viewers, they directly challenge people to face their own mental ideas.

Keep thinking that. I only care about what is, not living in a dream.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:38 pm Reply with quote
It is a movie about love...a man's love for aeronautical engineering. He has a second love, for another human being, but he always puts his first love ahead of his second. She seems to accept this, but it doesn't make the story any less sad, down to when she vanishes from his ideal dream-world only just after he noticed she was even there.

As far as love between people goes, this movie is downright anti-romantic. It shows love taking a painful second place to work.

AiddonValentine wrote:
KidOblivion wrote:

He only created the most successful franchise in anime/otaku culture history. No big deal.

Though it becoming successful had little to do with him; the original Gundam was canceled.

Looking at the kinds of endings Tomino gas turned in over his career, Gundam getting cancelled may have been the best thing ever to happen to it.

Still, Gundam 0080 (directed by Fumihiko Takayama) said a lot more about war in six episodes than all of Tomino's Gundam TV series did in several hundred.
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:21 pm Reply with quote
Fronzel wrote:
It is a movie about love...a man's love for aeronautical engineering. He has a second love, for another human being, but he always puts his first love ahead of his second. She seems to accept this, but it doesn't make the story any less sad, down to when she vanishes from his ideal dream-world only just after he noticed she was even there.

As far as love between people goes, this movie is downright anti-romantic. It shows love taking a painful second place to work.

AiddonValentine wrote:
KidOblivion wrote:

He only created the most successful franchise in anime/otaku culture history. No big deal.

Though it becoming successful had little to do with him; the original Gundam was canceled.

Looking at the kinds of endings Tomino gas turned in over his career, Gundam getting cancelled may have been the best thing ever to happen to it.

Still, Gundam 0080 (directed by Fumihiko Takayama) said a lot more about war in six episodes than all of Tomino's Gundam TV series did in several hundred.

I find they just said different things. Tomino's Gundam tended to focus more on the political and species wide scale and aspects of wars like WWII such as power grabs, cults of personality around military leaders, destructive rather than constructive solutions to affecting change and dealing with conflicts. 0080 kind of focused on the human/personal aspect of war and how it affected civilians on the sidelines.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:59 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:

The original Gundam failed initially because people weren't ready for military application giant robots while things like Go Nagai's super robots were still hot. Once they saw it as its own thing it took off like a shot and hasn't stopped since the '70s. It didn't give birth to a long running TV show, it spawned an entire franchise.

Emerje

Which, again, isn't a sign of anything HE did. Heck, the biggest reason the series continued was because of Bandai and the obvious: toys. Gunpla is the reason Gundam is around, not because of Tomino's writing (which, despite clearly being interested in political intrigue in war, has no clue about how to make it interesting).
WeskerGriff

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:07 am Reply with quote
A nice article about Big T praising Hayao Miyazaki and his film the Wind Rises and yet people still bang the war drum to bash Big T. Annoying.

It reminds me of Star Wars "fans" who constantly complain about Lucas.
Banken

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:07 am Reply with quote
Is there some historical evidence to suggest that Jiro Horikoshi was anything but a Japanese nationalist/patriot doing his duty to create weapons of war for the Great Japanese Empire?

Serious question.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:05 am Reply with quote
WeskerGriff wrote:
A nice article about Big T praising Hayao Miyazaki and his film the Wind Rises and yet people still bang the war drum to bash Big T. Annoying.

It reminds me of Star Wars "fans" who constantly complain about Lucas.

And for the same reasons, too.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:49 pm Reply with quote
Fronzel wrote:

Yeah, Tomino has NEVER been good at just getting to the point. It's like a Bob Kane dilemma; Kane made the original concept for Batman, but it was writers who came after him that really made the character what he is today. Same thing with Tomino; he made have created Gundam, but other writers and directors are the ones who gave the series an identity and have been able to articulate its point better.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:11 pm Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:
Yeah, Tomino has NEVER been good at just getting to the point. It's like a Bob Kane dilemma; Kane made the original concept for Batman, but it was writers who came after him that really made the character what he is today. Same thing with Tomino; he made have created Gundam, but other writers and directors are the ones who gave the series an identity and have been able to articulate its point better.

I don't think that is true, and I think that the fact that First and Z are the most popular are a testament to that. I also think that Tomino kinda lost the ability to do that at some point as Turn-A (while good) was not good at getting to the point and G-Reco is quite awful at it.

Not to say that none of the non Tomino gundams didn't do just as good of a job, but I don't know that I could point to one flat out better at it than Z. 0080 was mentioned, and as far as portraying how there are those that don't want to fight but are unable to escape the war, 0080 may have exceeded every other. However, First and Z touched on a greater number of things than 0080 did.

Jayhosh wrote:
Ugh, I can't stand it when people tell others that they're "reading too much into movies." Not only movies, but just art in general. I would never tell anyone what they personally interpreted from a work was wrong.

I think a person will see what they want to see, and there is nothing wrong with that. However, what often happens is that the people who 'read too much into things' will preach what they saw in the work as an absolute fact to others.
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:11 pm Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:
Fronzel wrote:

On the contrary I think he makes his points pretty starkly in a lot of his works, people just often choose not to see them. He seems to have garnered this reputation that IMO really doesn't fit the reality. There also just seems to be this bizarre growing sentiment that he never had any talent as a director and is just a complete failure at being able to tell or convey a story which I just don't agree with.

Also you could say the same for a lot of popular creators in the anime industry. No man can do everything all by themselves and require a steady team of talented people to make the most of a project. Also yes many other creators and directors have added their voices and contributions to the Gundam franchise since it's creation giving it something of an omnibus vibe, but again you can say the same for things like Star Trek and Star Wars. Much as I hate some of Gene Rodenberry and George Lucas' creative decisions it doesn't make their contributions and importance to their respective sci-fi creations any less significant. Granted Tomino does a hell lot more than most anime series creators being involved in everything from directing to scriptwriting to storyboarding to writing theme song lyrics for works he's created. He's even tried his hands at some live action stuff.

SilverTalon01 wrote:

I don't think that is true, and I think that the fact that First and Z are the most popular are a testament to that. I also think that Tomino kinda lost the ability to do that at some point as Turn-A (while good) was not good at getting to the point and G-Reco is quite awful at it.

Errr...Turn A Gundam and G-Reco are both kind of very different series from First and Zeta Gundam. I think the shows demonstrate their points quite well too. In Turn A Gundam it's something like life and the beauty of nature is something to be cherished and shared, not fought over with destructive weapons by serpent tongued glory seekers like Guin Lineford and Gym Ghinghnam. With G-Reco I feel like I've said this over and over but all you have to do is look at the current state of Japanese Politics and the kinds of things that Tomino, Miyazaki and Takahata are constantly talking about to see what it's getting at. Subtle hint, it's about bad energy policy and political leaders deciding that it's totally okay to start rearming and going from capital self defense to capital "army" mode and expecting everybody involved to be able to keep a handle on things when many of the leaders involved including the direct military leaders have never in their lives been involved in an actual conflict and fully understand the kind of responsibility they are taking on and the Pandora's box of horrors they might be opening.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:01 pm Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:

The comparison to Kane is insultingly erroneous. Kane didn't craft any of the early stories of Batman, he took credit for Bill Finger's work. But Tomino had much more contribution to the Gundam mythos than just the basic concept, and he never took credit for other people's work like Kane.

0079, Zeta, CCA, these are the core identity of the Gundam franchise. You can argue other people did more with the concepts than he did, but to say that he wasn't instrumental in the identity of it is not only wrong, but deeply misguided. Tomino was a WRITER on many of his shows, not just the director, and thus was VITAL to the the make up of the metaseries.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
CoreSignal

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:24 pm Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:
Same thing with Tomino; he made have created Gundam, but other writers and directors are the ones who gave the series an identity and have been able to articulate its point better.

I somewhat agree. I've honestly enjoyed the non-Tomino Gundam shows more than the ones he's actually involved with. That said, I do think Tomino is great at coming up with concepts and ideas for stories.
WatchforMoons7

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:51 pm Reply with quote
Maybe this is why The Wind Rises (kaze tachi nu) was trending in Japan a while back on Twitter? Tomino's comments, or was it something else?

Well I'm glad he appreciated it. It's biased for me to enjoy since I too love airplanes. Frankly, I think it's connection to war is a little tugged under the blanket since we mainly focus so much on Jiro's romance and his engineering business ("I want to make beautiful planes"), and not "what we're doing for the necessities of war".

Tomino seems so wise (or maybe it's "sane"?), and yet I'm baffled by G no Reconguista. #orz Which btw, I hope that's not what he means by "new work'.
BassKuroi

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:48 pm Reply with quote
KidOblivion wrote:
BassKuroi wrote:
"At first I thought of Hayao Miyazaki as a rival to conquer"

HAHAHAHA!! Good luck with that!

From that point of view, your whole life is a failure, Tomino-san.

If your standard is franchising you are totally right, but that's not mine. I prefer artistic achievement over money. Something so long can't be a good product, anyway.

From that point of view (merchandising), Miyazaki would be the loser. But it happens that Miyazaki did (will still be doing) movies so awesome that his weakest ones are better than most of any other director (any anime, animation or cinema director); it also happens that Gundam (first series) is both awful and a failure and I hate sequels and sagas.

Good Lord, I'm more convinced that Tomino-san life is a failure now than the original post's time, some day ago.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:49 am Reply with quote
BassKuroi wrote:

If your standard is franchising you are totally right, but that's not mine. I prefer artistic achievement over money. Something so long can't be a good product, anyway.

From that point of view (merchandising), Miyazaki would be the loser. But it happens that Miyazaki did (will still be doing) movies so awesome that his weakest ones are better than most of any other director (any anime, animation or cinema director); it also happens that Gundam (first series) is both awful and a failure and I hate sequels and sagas.

Good Lord, I'm more convinced that Tomino-san life is a failure now than the original post's time, some day ago.

Uh, Tomino and his works are heralded about as highly for their artistic merit in Japan as Miyazaki, so... yeah, it's a shame you don't agree, but to say Tomino is just some lucky model salesman ignores the evidence of all the accolades he's received, not just for his financial success.

Gundam was only a "failure" at first, much like Yamato, but once it gained ground, it never lost any.

{I suggest moving forward you leave out the insults towards others users. There's no need for the snarky jab after you made your point. ~ Psycho 101}
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3