• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are the Blade Children? Poss. Spoilers

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 8:36 pm Reply with quote
I just finished watching Spiral today and while I did enjoy it. The main question of "What are the Blade Children?" was not answered. At least not so that I could understand it.

I did enjoy the story of Ayumu Narumi and his issues of being the not-as-good shadow of his older brother Kiyotaka. And I enjoyed the cheerfulness of the incredibly nosy and noisy Hiyono Yuizaki. Then there are the Blade Children themselves: Eyes, a gifted pianist himself, Rio and Kousuke who are more than willing to risk their lives, Reiko who would rather be left alone, Sayoko who doesn't remember a thing about her past and why people want her dead and then there is Kanone who may or may not be the totally honest leader of the group. And then there is Ayumu's sister-in-law, Madoka, police detective and just a bit spoiled by Ayumu.

The animation and the story line are very good. I didn't like the opening song, it just seemed too darn cheerful for the series.

I just didn't get why the Blade Children were/are cursed and why they need to be hunted and killed. But that still didn't take away much of my enjoyment of the series. I liked watching how Ayumu and the Blade Children got out of various predicaments.

It is my understanding that there is a manga to this series but unfortunately, according to TSRI, it is not available here in the U.S. Unless it's using a different title?

Edit: Just checked the Encyclopedia. Tokyopop has the title but has never released it. Ah well.
Shonen Bat

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:31 pm Reply with quote
I haven't read the manga(Thanks a lot Tokyopop. Frickin' idiots) but I have read what they are on a few fan sites.

For those of you who haven't read the manga or don't want it spoiled, read no further.

spoiler[The Blade Children were actually the creation of Something(Can't remember this part of his name) Yaiba. Anyway, Yaiba was the devil of society as where Kiyotaka was the god. This part I don't believe is true but I think Kiyotaka killed Yaiba. Well since the god of society had a little brother, so did the devil of society whose first name I can't remember either. As far as I can remember, this Yaiba continued his brother's Blade Children project. Those who helped with the project split into three groups: The Hunters(As we know from the anime), the Watchers, those who just observed the Blade Children's activities, and the Savers, those who agreed with Yaiba's plans.

In short, the Blade Children are Yaiba's children. Just like the Blade Children, Yaiba is also missing a seventh rib. If you pay close attention, you can find a hidden message in this. Yaiba only has six ribs, the numbers the Devil uses are "666" and Yaiba is refered to as the devil of society. Get it?]

Hope that helped.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:45 pm Reply with quote
Thanks, that helped some.

While I wish that Tokyopop would release the manga, at least they aren't as bad as ADV. Of course the rest of THAT discussion/arguement belongs on the manga forum.
Shonen Bat

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 12:22 am Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:
Thanks, that helped some.

While I wish that Tokyopop would release the manga, at least they aren't as bad as ADV. Of course the rest of THAT discussion/arguement belongs on the manga forum.

You and me both. I was REALLY looking forward to the Spiral manga.. BACK IN 2005!! One year later, not a single shread of info on when it'll be released. We could've been halfway done with the manga at this point. I posted info on Tokyopop's new releases on Absolute Anime and now I sound like a big liar for saying it would come out in 2005. Thanks once again, Tokyopop*Gives the Tokyopop employees the finger*.

And I'm glad to hear my information helped you. You're welcome.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1