• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Star Trek Actor Leonard Nimoy Passes Away

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:02 pm Reply with quote
AnimeAddict2014 wrote:
honestly, i don't know who this guy is.
You must be very very young, or never had a TV in your home then.
Weazul-chan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:18 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
AnimeAddict2014 wrote:
honestly, i don't know who this guy is.
You must be very very young, or never had a TV in your home then.
or come from a family with very few geeks in it. my mom was a speculative fiction geek (and a member of the Star Trek fandom from the very beginning) and so is my older brother (altho my older brother was born about a year before the original series ended), which lead to me growing up feeling like he was almost everywhere.

Last edited by Weazul-chan on Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:19 pm Reply with quote
He was a distant cousin of Jeff Nimoy, one of the writers for some of the Digimon dubs.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:38 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
He was a distant cousin of Jeff Nimoy, one of the writers for some of the Digimon dubs.

And the voice of Wolfwood in the Trigun dub.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:02 pm Reply with quote
A few of you need to calm down. This is not a thread for petty arguments or squabbling. Please be respectful.

I personally cannot adequately put into words how sad I am over this news. I grew up watching Star Trek re-runs with my dad. That paved the way for Star Trek TNG and other science fiction shows and movies. Star trek was one of the main reasons I got into science fiction at a young age in all aspects. be it cinema, tv, books, comics etc. He did so many other great roles, both on film and voice acting, but his role as Spock is just iconic. It is something that has transcended decades and generations and helped bring other people, like myself, into the science fiction fandom. From all accounts he was also a truly genuine and kind person. I still have his Primortals comics in a box with other comics I have collected over the years. He certainly did leave his mark on the world and mad eit a brighter place.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:51 pm Reply with quote
This is pretty sad news, but he did live long and prosper. RIP Mr. Nimoy. Sad
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:22 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The cause of death was end-stage chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Nimoy announced that he had the disease last year, and attributed it to his smoking habit, though he quit three decades prior.

This why I can't take seriously the "journalism" produced in this site. Whoever wrote the article makes it sound like Nimoy made a subjective deduction about the reason of his illness. He did not, smoking is the main cause of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.

Many people say he had a long life, but I am greedy and I think that had he not been duped into the smoking habit (like millions of people still do), he would no doubt had another ten or twenty years in him with a better life quality than what he had in recent years.

He will be sorely missed, like someone said in another site "He is the reason we have good things".
Dessa

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:54 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
This why I can't take seriously the "journalism" produced in this site. Whoever wrote the article makes it sound like Nimoy made a subjective deduction about the reason of his illness. He did not, smoking is the main cause of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.

You might want to do some research before attacking people. The NYT article linked as the source uses those exact words.
Drac

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:06 pm Reply with quote
It's sad to see him go at 83 but making his health problems public on Twitter softened the blow for me. I'm not a Star Trek fan but growing up watching TV, especially The Simpsons, I knew who he was and how big the role of Spock was to pop culture. I really enjoyed him as the host of "In Search Of..." despite his own feelings towards that show.
SailorDJ

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:23 pm Reply with quote
I still can't believe it. Mr. Spock was my favorite character on Star Trek. He will be sorely missed. Crying or Very sad
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:37 pm Reply with quote
Galvatron has died but the spirit of a talented man live on.
Azure-Wind91

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:08 pm Reply with quote
Thank you for all you've done, sir. May your next frontier to just as fascinating.
SWAnimefan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:03 am Reply with quote
Mr. Nimoy was a great man, and now passed into Legend. He was wise and caring. He will be greatly missed.

RIP
Wandering Samurai

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:18 am Reply with quote
I found this out by text this morning. A true legend has left us. I remember as a child watching TOS and the Star Trek movies. Live Long and Prosper Mr. Spock.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shippoyasha

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:59 am Reply with quote
This one actually hurts a lot. I always looked up to him as how a person should act with dignity in all facets of life.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4