• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Reasons Gentlemen Prefer Elves

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wonderwomanhero

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 1:06 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
What about the characters in Those Who Hunt Elves?

YES! Although I was told it was pointless for me to nostalgically remember the series because it was "stupid"
Seriously though Celcia Marie Claire.
Also I still wish there was some sort of Legend of Zelda anime or OVA because I don't doubt Princess Zelda would make it on the list. Although she's more so a game staple so it wouldn't count regardless.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:49 am Reply with quote
There was one show yesterday that ticked my mind with a prominent elven lead, named Elisiss, that I couldn't quite remember the name of until now; Eden's Bowy, released back in 2005 by the now defunct ADV.

Unfortunately we never got the original manga to that one...
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:56 am Reply with quote
{I am removing your post because your rude and belligerent behavior is not welcome here. This constant rude trolling you do in "The List" threads is tiresome. Blatantly insulting anyone here, staff member or otherwise, is not tolerated. Consistently trolling the threads for this column are not tolerated either. You've been warned before about this sort of behavior before. If you insult Lynzee, another forum member, or make another rude/belligerent post like this you will be put on moderation at the very least. ~ Psycho 101}
Touma

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:31 am Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
and "ears" are not the only thing that makes an elf. The Abh are the quintessential elf, stoic, fair, beautiful, intelligent, possessing abilities beyond those of humans,

So, Vulcans are elves?

Really, an elf is a fictional creature. Not just in anime but everywhere.
If the writer calls it an elf it is an elf.
If the writer does not call it an elf it is not an elf.

Lafiel definitely does look like an elf. Looking at her I would definitely think that she is an elf. And, as you said, she has many other characteristics that are commonly attributed to elves.
But unless Hiroyuki Morioka (the author of the novels) said that she is an elf then she is not an elf. I do not remember any mention of the Adh being elves, but it has been a long time since I read the novels or the manga, or watched the anime.

My personal favorite elf is Deedlit, right now.
If Lafiel was an elf she would be high on my list of favorites.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
corinthian

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:56 am Reply with quote
I got my D&D start in middle school. It was with some of my friend's uncle's old AD&D books, but it was also around the time 3rd edition was coming out. We ended up playing a weird hybrid system that was mostly us just screwing around and having fun. Which is kind of the point, right?
Touma

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:14 am Reply with quote
Mune wrote:
I'm surprised that Tiffania Westwood didn't make the list.

I did not know who she was until I did a Google search just now.
I did watch the first season of Familiar of Zero but do not remember her. Was she in the first season?

GiriOni wrote:
Ali07 wrote:

Lastly, sad that Scrapped Princess didn't make the cut.

Me as well. It needs rescued. It needs a release that would do it justice.

I actually like Scrapped Princess better than most of the shows on the list, including the one that I voted for.
But I am happy with the Bandai singles that I own so I have no personal need for a rescue. If somebody did rescue it and release it on Blu-ray I would definitely consider buying it again.

I voted for Tokyo Mew Mew because it never had a home video release and I love the manga.

EDIT:
I just looked at the list again and Scrapped Princess is actually my second favorite show on the list.
The only one that I like better is Kamichu!. I did not vote for it because I also own it on DVD, and I would also consider buying it again on Blu-ray if it was licensed here.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Melicans

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:37 am Reply with quote
Touma wrote:
Mune wrote:
I'm surprised that Tiffania Westwood didn't make the list.

I did not know who she was until I did a Google search just now.
I did watch the first season of Familiar of Zero but do not remember her. Was she in the first season?

She had a very brief appearance in the last episode of season 2, and was a main character in the final two seasons.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:03 pm Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:

Honestly, these lists are usually rather poor because the compiler has either never seen well known shows [some clown hadn't seen Naruto], or just picks out poorly thought out topics, but to judge a group solely on a single physical trait is in rather poor taste, fictional character or not.

Then please, pray tell, why you keep coming back since I'm a "clown" that hasn't watched Naruto? The fake fan crap stemming from that is so ridiculous.
Holo Wolfgod

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:50 pm Reply with quote
the elf from Zero no Tsukaima is missing...
also hurry up and rescue licenses of
*Monster
*Higurashi
*Paranoia Agent

GDMaid Man

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 1:44 pm Reply with quote
Deedlit would probably be tops for me too, but Pirotess was the sexy.

But in these kind of things the "bad girls" usually are.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:59 pm Reply with quote
GDMaid Man wrote:
Deedlit would probably be tops for me too, but Pirotess was the sexy.

But in these kind of things the "bad girls" usually are.

Bad...good...whoever wears the leather and lace wins in my book lol. Pirotess was an early anime crush for me though I won't lie.
partially

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:19 pm Reply with quote
GiriOni wrote:
Ali07 wrote:

Lastly, sad that Scrapped Princess didn't make the cut.

Me as well. It needs rescued. It needs a release that would do it justice.

A rescue at the moment in fact even makes sense.

Release it alongside the remaider of Chaika - The Coffin Princess, and advertise off each other.
dizzon

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:14 pm Reply with quote
Love that Pirotess and Deedlit are one and two. When I think female elf (or elf, period) I think of those two.

Speaking of the Lodoss War franchise I'll throw a shout out to Leaf, though she's only half elf.
FlamingFirewire

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:22 pm Reply with quote
Was actually really surprised to see Kamichu! on this list at all! That being said, there are definitely a ton of shows that need re-releases that are also quality titles. Hope we can see some more rescues come back on well-mastered BDs (like Hayate no Gotoku perhaps?).
Ali07

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:19 am Reply with quote
I'm happy to see others would like to see Scrapped Princess get a rescue.

Awhile back I decided to have a look around to see what prices the old Bandai releases were at. Think the cheapest I saw was around $90 a volume. I would love to own the series, but I wouldn't be paying that high a price on a used DVD.

And, while I'm a fan of the Familiar of Zero series, I forgot all about Tiffania and the other elves in that show! Oh, and I'm so happy that the whole anime series has finally been licenced. Now I'm waiting to see if Hanabee, who has licenced some of the anime, will announce that they have picked up the rest of the series...but, it's good knowing Sentai has done so.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5