Forum - View topic
Do you miss English songs?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Music
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hitokiri Kenshin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:36 pm Reply with quote
Was wondering lately, does anyone else miss English opening songs in anime? They used to be done a bit and know a lot of folks didn't like dub versions, but I miss them. Partially as it's easier for me to sing to something in English than in Japanese. (I'm not good at singing songs in other languages). So was wondering if anyone else missed them and singing to them?
omiya

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:24 pm Reply with quote
Hitokiri Kenshin wrote:
Was wondering lately, does anyone else miss English opening songs in anime?

I find it rare that one gets the same intensity from an English OP song, and actually find it interesting how much English appears in the lyrics of the Japanese OP/ED songs.

(To be fair, I enjoy being able to hear the OP/ED songs performed live at events like Animelo Summer Live and Animax Musix, mainly by their original singers or otherwise by really capable singers).
omiya

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:23 am Reply with quote
Occasionally one will get the same song sung in both English and Japanese by the same singer (e.g. Everlasting Song from Elementar Gerad by Aira Yuuki) or Uchū ni saku (宇宙に咲く) / Faith from Rental Magica by Lisa Komine - I like to be able to hear an English version of a Japanese song by the Japanese artist.

Christina Vee's English cover versions of Japanese anime songs are pretty good also.

This article mentions a similar thing having happened in France - originally anime OP/ED songs were replaced with French songs, but now the original songs are retained:

http://the-japan-news.com/news/article/0001860712
theflickx

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:41 am Reply with quote
I always have enjoyed the language that anime is in Smile loved them the way they are.
nobahn
SubscriberSubscriber

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 4:38 pm Reply with quote
As I understand it, Funimation used to dub the Op/Eds of series that they were trying to get broadcast on various channels and that this effort ended when they launched their own cable channel. I could be wrong about this, of course.
jay19

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 3:10 am Reply with quote
Yes I miss English songs in Anime. Sometimes, the english songs are better than japanese songs.
faridania

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:46 am Reply with quote
Hundred percent yes! I wish they could translate this anime song to english.
nobahn
SubscriberSubscriber

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 2:52 pm Reply with quote
^
But what anime song are you referring to?
Vee-Tee

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:43 am Reply with quote
I actually liked a lot of English dub anime songs growing up... I unashamedly prefer Dic's backing music for Sailor Moon. Shocked

I think fans nowadays prefer the fidelity of the original song, rather than a dubbing studio doing a new one that's often translated a little wonkily to fit the metre. I remember Funi did Ouran High School Host Club's opening in English... and fans hated it.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:47 am Reply with quote
Yes,
I am missing English songs, because I love English songs.
Gustavo Woltmann
Gatherum

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 12:56 am Reply with quote
I don't so much miss dubbed Japanese songs as I do songs that were in English to begin with.

My favourite OP songs are, by far, "Duvet" by Bôa and "Kiri" by Monoral, which were employed by Serial Experiments Lain and Ergo Proxy, respectively. But maybe it's because it's the rarity of it happening that anime will employ such material that makes it a truly beloved thing.

...Still, the latter is hitting its tenth anniversary this year, and the former is beyond its fifteenth. I feel like it's time for a good, new contender.
Ggultra2764
Collector ExtraordinaireCollector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 2:12 pm Reply with quote
It would vary depending on the quality of the dubbing and how well it syncs with the musical accompaniment. I recall the mentioned quality being rather hit or miss for older titles depending on the effort of the voice actors and whether or not they have any singing ability to go along with their acting.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Music All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1