• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Case Closed: The Movie

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
minakichan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 3:28 am Reply with quote
Not my favorite of the Conan movies, but I enjoyed this one, despite its, er, unbelievable premise. Nice to see it Stateside; that's not to say I'm going to buy the English release though.
slickwataris

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:57 am Reply with quote
Just saw this yesterday. There was some glaring incosistencies in the dub. I also found that whole flashback case with the chairman's son to be completely pointless/irrelevant. Still a rather fun watch even though they just ignored the whole thing at the end with Jimmy missing their date.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
soupcan58

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:59 pm Reply with quote
I Enjoyed this one too, but I was MUCH happier with the second film "The Fourteenth Target". That will renew your faith in the Conan films when it comes out in the US.
Mr.Shonen

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 4:20 pm Reply with quote
It was an okay movie. I just want to see how Funi will dub spoiler[screw] the second movie.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
CloverKuroba

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 5:13 pm Reply with quote
^ I find Funi to have VERY good dubbing Confused

But anyway, it was okay...some of the other Conan movies are better and more exciting.
halochief_90

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 7:10 pm Reply with quote
The Review wrote:
Everyone's favorite pre-shrunk teenage detective
Well, seeing as Case Closed tanked on North American TV stations, he doesn't seem to be everyone's favorite.

My favorite part of the TV series is also the mystery... but I was wishing it could have more action scenes too, so I'm sure I'd enjoy this movie, like the TV series, quite well.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:58 pm Reply with quote
halochief_90 wrote:
Well, seeing as Case Closed tanked on North American TV stations, he doesn't seem to be everyone's favorite.
That's not entirely fair. Consider the nature of the series. It's clearly aimed at a younger audience despite it's violence and crime, right? When it was aired here, it was put on [adult swim], the dub (which I actually like) had some pretty severe changes to it from the original material, and the series is pretty dated in it's animation style.

Add to this the fact that, at the time, Funimation was still not entirely over some early missteps that made fans dislike them intensely. Plus, despite airing on a [adult swim], the series still had some editing done and that can not possibly have helped anything.

Basically, Case Closed had everything working against it in terms of the way it was broadcast. It didn't fit the [adult swim] demographic, it was already going to take a hit from hardcore fans for dub changes and editing, and it wasn't even a recent series. The fan base for it is obviously big enough to justify continuing to put out episodes, but it's not the same fan base as [adult swim].
W-General

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 4:16 am Reply with quote
I've watched all 10 Conan movies...and I will just make it very blunt. I watch them all for the elevated tension and action scenes than for the mysteries.

Those looking for some 'hard mysteries' might be disappointed in future Conan movies as they are in movie 1...

Like I said, I watch Conan movies for the action:
Exploding buildings, exploding water parks, exploding castles, exploding skyscrapers, exploding airplanes, exploding cruisers. And I always come out the movie theater very satisfied.

But yes, Fourteenth Target is far superior compared to Timed Skyscraper. However, my favorites are Captured in Her Eyes (Movie 4 - spoiler[ Ran losing her memories made this movie good - provided for excellent character interactions]) and Countdown to Heaven (Movie 5) ^^
halochief_90

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 10:14 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
halochief_90 wrote:
That's not entirely fair. Consider the nature of the series. It's clearly aimed at a younger audience despite it's violence and crime, right? When it was aired here, it was put on [adult swim], the dub (which I actually like) had some pretty severe changes to it from the original material, and the series is pretty dated in it's animation style.

Add to this the fact that, at the time, Funimation was still not entirely over some early missteps that made fans dislike them intensely. Plus, despite airing on a [adult swim], the series still had some editing done and that can not possibly have helped anything.

Basically, Case Closed had everything working against it in terms of the way it was broadcast. It didn't fit the [adult swim] demographic, it was already going to take a hit from hardcore fans for dub changes and editing, and it wasn't even a recent series. The fan base for it is obviously big enough to justify continuing to put out episodes, but it's not the same fan base as [adult swim].
I was also refering to its airing on YTV (Canada). It was originally put on the reasonable timeslot of 10pm, but likely after low ratings, was pushed to 12pm. Like a normal fan, I would probably complain about how inconsiderate the station was for the move but lets face it, Case Closed just isn't for the casual, american audience.

It's a fairly smart show, but on the surface, it looks like some kids show by the people who made Pokemon. I know, as a teen, if I wasn't an anime fan, I would be instanly turned off by this show. After the first episode I watched, I knew I would like the show, but the show as a whole struggles with exactly who it's intended for. With pretty dated animation and music (the first episodes were made over ten years ago), numerous Japanese symbols (Funimation could have done much worse with the editing), and it's hard to put the show anywhere but where the okatu would be for a even a chance at good ratings.
matthewlow

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 2:28 pm Reply with quote
I must be a certified dud since I didn't figure out the villain until the closer to the end of the movie...

I guess because of that, I was intrigued by all the connections that Conan put together to come to the conclusions of where the bombs were and how they were set. And who the villain was after all. I did find the chariman's son case to be a little random, but I liked how it came together and connected to the case as a whole.

Funny I thought the movie was extremely well thought out and one of the best I've seen to date. The climax at the end was great too, and the explanation really was awesome too.
chrisb
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 2:06 pm Reply with quote
I'll admit I didn't like the first movie but I did find mself entertained at times. Just wait until the second movie which is MUCH better. Also The latest movie (Requiem) and movies 4, 5, and whichever is the Mystery on Baker street are incredible. Hopefully they release the movies alot faster so we can get to the good ones.
Katsu Koneko

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 3:15 am Reply with quote
When I watched the first movie last summer, I thought it was ok. ^^;; I might get the DVD later if I hadn't spent my money on anime yesterday.

I agree that the next movies are awesome. ^^

I especially loved the 4th. 5th and 6th movie. [Mostly 6th]

Grr I still need to watch Movie 10, the trailer was awesome! -falls over-
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1