• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ace of Diamond TV Anime Gets 2nd Season in April

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
st_owly

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:12 am Reply with quote
Awww man. So glad this show is continuing. It's my weekly treat on a Sunday once I get back from work.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:43 am Reply with quote
Really...? This is a fine anime, but I am tired of being following it for a year and a half. I will rather see a six months break in between the first and second seasons.
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:10 pm Reply with quote
I was optimistic about a second season, given how well the show is selling on DVD and the sales boost the manga got, but I wasn't expecting it to start next month already, and in a better time slot to boot. Couldn't happen to a more deserving show.
kazunya

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:29 pm Reply with quote
Yes! I'm so happy! I was already getting a little desparate with the anime's impending end, to be honest... But now everything's okay ^^

bigivel wrote:
This is a long running anime, not a seasonal. One Piece is the same thing, the company still divides the series in seasons though it never has breaks.

Are you sure? I'm not an expert on long-runners, so I don't wanna say it's impossible, but considering that it seems to be officially titled "Second Season" and that it's also listed as a seperate new season on MAL, you've got me kinda confused here ^^
I also remember that when they extended season one, they clearly said it was an extension and not a new season.

But in general, second season or continuation, I'm just happy that the anime is going on. Especially with part one of the manga over now, I think it would be better to continue with the anime NOW instead of later. And considering that part two of the manga seems to begin after spoiler[a short timeskip], I think it would make for a cleaner cut and probably the best way to end the anime adaption (though I hope there will be one for part two in the future as well, when it has accumulated enough chapters).

No matter how or what, spring is already saved for me, because yay, no withdrawal symptoms!
bigivel

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:42 pm Reply with quote
kazunya wrote:

bigivel wrote:
This is a long running anime, not a seasonal. One Piece is the same thing, the company still divides the series in seasons though it never has breaks.

Are you sure? I'm not an expert on long-runners, so I don't wanna say it's impossible, but considering that it seems to be officially titled "Second Season" and that it's also listed as a seperate new season on MAL, you've got me kinda confused here ^^
I also remember that when they extended season one, they clearly said it was an extension and not a new season.

Is just a naming convention!
Is just like Naruto Shippuden and Dragon Ball Z. The production committee decided to separate the parts and give a different name to the next part. Though you're seeing everything in 1 watching without breaks.

The name that the studio gives in each group of episodes, is only their decision. They could call anything they would like at that group of episodes. Even as they did before, just calling it an extension.
This is basically how they want to product to be seen by the audience.

Series are normally considered Long Running when they have almost or more than 1 year content(more than 3-cours, more than 36 episodes) without breaks. Ace of Diamond 1st season is already a long running anime, with 1.5 years of content.

Series are normally considered Seasonal when they have breaks between seasons. Ace of Diamond doesn't has such a thing. So is not seasonal.
It seems strange because they call it "Ace of Diamond: Second Season", but note that is the same as calling the 2nd part of Naruto "Naruto Shippuden". We could very well interchange things and end up with "Ace of Diamond Shippuden" and "Naruto: Second Season". This doesn't turn Naruto into a Seasonal series! Though Ace of Diamond certainly will be perceived like that in the future. And probably that is the objective of the studios(Madhouse and Production I.G) by having naming it like that.
RestLessone

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:01 pm Reply with quote
^
Just to add on to that, MAL is giving it its own entry because it's being specifically marketed with the Second Season tag.

Seasons and cours are a bit funny. We think of seasons as corresponding to the weather patterns/yearly quarters, and that's often how they match up, but a season can be very arbitrary. It isn't set to a specific episode count. Usually there are pauses between two seasons, but not always. Instead, cours correspond to yearly quarters, so a 12 episode series is 1 cour, a 24 episode series is 2, etc.

Essentially, calling this Second Season means very little except for marketing purposes. (Especially because this one, unlike DBZ or Naruto, wont have a timeskip; it'll take place directly after the first ends.)
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:23 pm Reply with quote
bigivel wrote:
Series are normally considered Seasonal when they have breaks between seasons. Ace of Diamond doesn't has such a thing. So is not seasonal.
It seems strange because they call it "Ace of Diamond: Second Season", but note that is the same as calling the 2nd part of Naruto "Naruto Shippuden". We could very well interchange things and end up with "Ace of Diamond Shippuden" and "Naruto: Second Season". This doesn't turn Naruto into a Seasonal series! Though Ace of Diamond certainly will be perceived like that in the future. And probably that is the objective of the studios(Madhouse and Production I.G) by having naming it like that.

The thing is, the Shippūden in Naruto: Shippūden is a subtitle, but not a numbered entry. Calling it interchangeable with Second Season is a bit of stretch (look at the Resident Evil games series, and the names of the games between 3 and 4).

The One Piece anime has been running non-stop from its debut episode in 1999, covered the entirety of Part A and started covering Part B - no change in the name at all. And while they home-media releases are divided into "seasons", they pretty much go by the anime's arcs, not the definition of "airing season" proper. Should Toei decide to end One Piece next week and start the following week One Piece: 2nd Flag or what have you, then the entire 680+ episodes from 1999-2015 become 'the first season'.
Good examples of the arbitrariness of this practice would be the anime adaptations of Kimi ni Todoke and Kuroshitsuji:
For both, the first airing (or season) ran for 24 (Kuro) or 25 (Kimi) episodes, the 2nd airing (or season) ran for 12 (Kuro) or 13 (Kimi) episodes.

Furthermore, in a more technical term, even long-running shows (running more than 6 consecutive months), are broken up into seasons (or cours) by those who work in the industry. The definition of 'season' can be for a quarter of a year (like Angel Beats!), for half a year (like Kill la Kill) or for a year (like Blood+).
If you've watched Gintama, for example, you must've noticed how the characters frequently broke the 4th Wall and discussed on which season they are in (which was yearly for that show).

So if the new show of Daiya no Ace is officially called Daiya no Ace ~Second Season~, then the previous 70+ episodes are 'Season 1'.
aS_Umi

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:07 pm Reply with quote
It's been running a year and a half and they still consider that the first season!? Gotta love those long-running shonen shows!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2