• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Seraph of the End (TV).

Goto page   Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:53 am Reply with quote

Seraph of the End (TV)

Genres: action, drama, supernatural
Themes: demons, post-apocalyptic, vampires

Plot Summary: After an unknown virus wiped out all adults on earth, vampires appeared and ruled over the surviving children, treating them like livestock. Yuichiro Hyakuya survived along with other orphans by giving their blood to vampires, until Yuichiro escaped four years ago. Now he is a member of the Moon Demon Company, a unit in the Japanese army dedicated to hunting down the vampires he blames for the death of his family.

Preview (english subbed): https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=NtzDAmRhD9s
----------------------------------

I saw a new key visual and some other info announced recently for this. The PV came out awhile ago and the soundtrack (OST) from it sounds great. The premise reminds me of Attack on Titan in a way but the way it set up follows some different set of principles.

Animation looks top notch with Wit Studio as the studio. Looks fairly promising imo!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Raftina

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:11 am Reply with quote
The main character's design, facial expression, and backstory all remind me unpleasantly of Shinn Asuka. The backstory and associated facial expression are fairly common, but there's something about how he is drawn, even though Hisashi Hirai is not the character designer.

Judging by the manga art used in the encyclopedia, the fact that this manga is about vampire, and the fact that spoiler[the first vampire character is blushing], are we right to expect copious amounts of yaoi?
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:23 am Reply with quote
As a reader of the manga, I can assure you, no Yaoi subtext.

I like Seraph as a comic, I probably won't watch the show. Fans of Shin Megami Tensei will probably dig it a lot.

Really hope my favorite moment (early series non-spoiler) makes the anime though...
Raftina

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:58 pm Reply with quote
I am disappointed to hear those.

Especially the similarity to SMT. I am very much a P3/4 > SMT person.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:48 pm Reply with quote
Raftina wrote:

There are at least two waifus!
Darkmagick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:48 pm Reply with quote
Mr Adventure wrote:
As a reader of the manga, I can assure you, no Yaoi subtext.

I'd have to disagree with that. While there most definitely isn't any straight-up yaoi in it, I'd say my primary enjoyment of the manga was making yaoi jokes - especially about Mika (the one who's going to be voiced by Ono Kensho).

But then, I do read actual yaoi. Maybe I'm reading too much into things. But the subtext is definitely there if you're looking for it, in my opinion.
meiam

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:10 pm Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:

Plot Summary: After an unknown virus wiped out all adults on earth, vampires appeared and ruled over the surviving children, treating them like livestock. Yuichiro Hyakuya survived along with other orphans by giving their blood to vampires, until Yuichiro escaped four years ago. Now he is a member of the Moon Demon Company, a unit in the Japanese army dedicated to hunting down the vampires he blames for the death of his family.

That description! I swear some anime/manga must be made by writing on little piece of paper every cliche and popular stuff at the moment, putting them in an hat, rolling a dice and picking an equal number of paper out of the hat and making a story out of that. Laughing
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:30 am Reply with quote
Raftina wrote:

To be fair, there is actually something of a Persona aspect. Where each main character has a personalized demon that they can invoke.

So its got the post apocalypse of SMT mixed with the personas of Persona.
Hawkmonger

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:10 pm Reply with quote
I....enjoy Seraph moderarly in the Viz Jump. It's beither the best nor the most original strip around....it's a potato series. I enjoy it despite not loving it.

Have I got that right?
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:29 am Reply with quote
Episode 1:

Good episode overall. spoiler[It introduced the tragic past of Yuu including the death of his family (according to what he said anyways). And also not to mention, we get a good amount of focus on his friend Mikaela. Anyways, good start as it was bloody and tragic.]

There was no spoiler[OP/ED theme song (well with animated sequences) but I expect that to be on next time. OST is fabulous.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 11:01 am Reply with quote
Episode 1

In the words of Ron Burgandy: "Boy, that escalated quickly."

Here I am watching a spoiler[cute couple with smiles, and then bam, apocalypse]. Kind of reminded me of a show last season. Except it got even worse. And you know what, when I saw how spoiler[happy they were presenting the family I could feel al the death flags]. The last bit when it spoiler[looked like they were all going to be okay] was practically torture because spoiler[I could feel that all those happy kids were going to be slaughtered].

Pretty much felt like a blockbuster first episode, but from experience I know that such a show can end up being quite mediocre. But I will hold faith and watch this because it got its hooks into me.
Raftina

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 12:04 pm Reply with quote
So far the main character reminds me unpleasantly of two protagonists I hated: Shinn Asuka of Gundam Seed Destiny and Eren Jaeger of Attack On Titan. There are some hopeful differences between Yu and those two: spoiler[He at least can form bonds with those close to him and express his affections without masking everything in hate.] The fact that the episode ends with spoiler[him embracing the other guy and shedding tears] makes me have hope that he will develop more along the likes of Sara Werec of Strain rather than Shinn or Eren.

DuskyPredator wrote:
Episode 1Pretty much felt like a blockbuster first episode, but from experience I know that such a show can end up being quite mediocre. But I will hold faith and watch this because it got its hooks into me.

From the episode preview, it looks like spoiler[even the apocalypse can't stop the Japanese middle school system.] That came across as odd and a jarring contrast to this episode.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 12:57 pm Reply with quote
Disturbing beginning.
Not a very fun way of living.. walking blood bags.
That Yuichiro sure has a hard personality..
He will be our brooding hero!
Damn, pretty dark first episode..
Will be watching this!
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 2:15 pm Reply with quote
I got the sense that Mikaela was letting Count Pedo suck more than just his blood, if you catch my drift. Gorgeous background art in Bummer City. Was very much hoping that my prediction for the orphans wouldn't come true. Anime must have more dead kids per square inch than any other entertainment format in the world. *sigh*

Anyway, I'm sort of liking this, so let's see what we see.
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I got the sense that Mikaela was letting Count Pedo suck more than just his blood,

EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW Confused

I was thinking the same thing though.

I don't know what to think about this. On one hand the premise is somewhat interesting and I do want to find out more about this world. But MC just seems so...........typical. He's just another Eren. And his development so far has been literally the same. Person spoiler[who is close to him gets killed in the first episode causing them to vow vengeance against the monsters.] Lame. Heck they even went through TWO time skips in one episode. Pacing be damned. I like the art but the characters really don't mesh well with it.

I can see this as being nothing more than a typical shounen. Also the subtle but noticeable yaoi vibes aren't helping either. A decent love interest might be good enough to make it a little more entertaining.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 15