• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Seraph of the End (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 11:40 pm Reply with quote
Episode 2

I felt that this episode was an improvement by setting up more of a precedent of what future events should be like. We at least got to see how hero grow instead of become further broken, although he seems spoiler[conflicted in the idea that getting a friend means leaving his old ones behind].

Even more now he did not play well with others, spoiler[suspended for disobeying orders and frustrated for being forced into a normal school life system]. He did manage to start to spoiler[follow orders when the girl held further suspension over his actions]. I would say she was fairly entertaining. One of the best parts was that the guy spoiler[actually praised him for the lives he did save even if he needed help].

I look forward if we have more fights like this.
Justaway

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 6:21 am Reply with quote
Even in a post-apocalyptic vampire-hunting military setting they still managed to make the protagonist a high school student. Top notch.

But it was still a nice bit of growth for Yuichiro and the new kids are nice, too. Entertaining enough, especially the girl with her screwing around with Yu. Guren's a friggin' troll, I'm gonna like him. Hope he pops in often.

One thing I didn't like was the blatant info dump on our main character, concerning his motivations and thoughts. Right in front of his face. That was stupid and lazy. About as well crafted as him telling about his parents the previous episode.
Raftina

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:23 am Reply with quote
Well, now that the opening and ending showed us that spoiler[Mikaela is alive], any bets on whether he will go yandere and try to kill Yuu-chan's not-girlfriend mentor?

This episode was painful because of the characterization that Yuu had, but it's not entirely surprising, given what he was like in episode 1 and what happened there.

I took an immediate dislike to Guren because he reminds me very strongly of a CLAMP character--more so in his design than his behavior, I think--, except I'm not sure which character that might be. Perhaps someone with a better memory of their works could help me on that issue?
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:12 pm Reply with quote
Justaway wrote:
Even in a post-apocalyptic vampire-hunting military setting they still managed to make the protagonist a high school student. Top notch.

If it follows the manga, (minor early series spoiler) spoiler[that won't last very long]
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:18 am Reply with quote
I'm really liking this show. Yes, it's as subtle as swift kick to the 'nads, but oh well. I continue to love the background art and action scenes. And vampires. Love vampires. Especially the sexy ones.
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:50 am Reply with quote
Gotta admit Yuu isn't QUITE as bad as Eren. At least he's developing past his standoffish front faster. Heck I don't think Eren did that till the middle of the second season. Also (and I can't believe I'm saying this) he was kind of cute at the end of the episode with the blushing he did when he finally accepted his new pals as a team.

I suppose I find him to be the endearing kind of angsty main character. Similar to Hikari from Nagi (though I actually hated him at the start).

I still find the idea of schools in this post apocalyptic world to be pretty stupid and impractical but eh whatever.

At least the episode displayed the abilities of a semi strong vampire and showed that a spoiler[stab to the heart doesn't cut it if the attack isn't coated in "anti-vampire magic"] (which might be the most unimaginative name for a spell that I've heard in a a while).

I do hope that there will be a "nice" vampire sometime in the future. I'd hate to see them all just be pure evil for the sake of the plot. Preferably a girl vampire...........not that it's part of my weird fetishes or anything..........Confused
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 6:16 am Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
^MaxSouth has a tendency of declaring a show he does't like is stupid because it's not being 100% realistic by his own standards. Even if the show in question is about vampires and the apocalypse. He apparently has the last say on how the world post virus apocalypse and vampire invasion will be. I don't really get why people keep responding when he makes this sort of posts, when all discussions with him end up going in circles ad eternum.

So now we have the usual "I am unable to dispute opponent's actual arguments on the essence, so lets discuss opponent himself and talk how bad he is, and mischaracterize what does" thing?

Here is a bit of reality: I like most shows I mercilessly crush, and rate them accordingly (it can be easily checked). Somehow it evades many that people can have more nuanced approach to things than just binary, good or bad. I never spare a project of criticism, no matter how I like it or not. (By the way, I like this Seraph anime, despite its flaws.)

And there are not a lot of discussions that go in circles around my posts since they are usually quite though-out, concrete and detailed. It is not easy to argue against them on logical/consistency basis. What mostly happens is fans rejecting arguments on emotional level, just like your comment shows.

Majority of people, unlike me, just can not accept that thing they like being critiqued/not being perfect -- and it is understandable. My only point here is that this should not go into discussion of your opponent.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 6:32 am Reply with quote
Folk, please talk about the show, not each other. And, MaxSouth, the other people here aren't your "opponents", they're your fellow anime fans. More civility and less trolling, thank you.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:41 am Reply with quote
Episode 3:

Decent episode overall.

There's a good amount of comedy thanks to Hiiragi; her chemistry with Yuu is quite amusing. spoiler[And then, there's also Yuu's determination to get his own cursed gear. I think the show will reveal most of them soon. I think he is taking quite a lot of daring risks to just get them though...]

Oh and a certain someone is spoiler[alive this episode, not that I'm surprised].
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:05 am Reply with quote

spoiler[My, my how things changed since he saved the school.
Flashing some nice hardware this time ^^
Taking on a cursed gear even in a mock battle was too much for Hyakuya.
Still, he is one stubborn kid!
Determined to get what he wants no matter what!
Dealing with demons is never as easy as he thought it would be.
Nonetheless the kid is impressive, I give him that.
A twist to the story seems to be coming soon.]
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:48 am Reply with quote
I'm starting to get the feeling that this anime is just going through the "MC constantly ignores any and all rules/warnings/etc. so that the plot can move forward but he magically survives because of his extra thick plot armor" phase. That's actually......kind of annoying. I mean why aren't there any guards or watch outs for that "SUPER SECRET!" door? These people just say "eh fudge it"spoiler[ if someone has their soul consumed before help arrives?] Hell what if NOBODY is there at the time? (which was the case here) What kind of military force does that? o_O. Oops sorry guys I just accidentally shot this guy who wandered into our secret training grounds. Oh well these kids don't have parents anyways. Who's going to complain? Illogical world is illogical.

"Did you really think a peaceful school existed in such a messed-up world like this?"

I'm pretty sure this line is directed at the people saying "This high school setting in a post apocalyptic world makes no sense!". Sadly the explanation is still pretty dumb. To be honest they should have just left that plot point alone. The school was a dumb feature but I was willing to overlook it. But when they tried to explain it as if it has a valid and logical purpose in the setting that's just stretching my patience. But whatever. School is spoiler[actually a test for everyone to work with demons (aka knock off Valverape explanation).] Cool.

If it wasn't for Shinoa I don't know what I'd do with myself Crying or Very sad
Raftina

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 2:12 pm Reply with quote
If a student listens and stays away from the forbidden area, then he is a good sheep who can be part of the civilian support.

If a student wanders into the forbidden area and resists possession, then he is strong and worthy of being in the military.

If a student wanders into the forbidden area and fails to resist possession, then he is a liability and a waste of resources. Since the possessed apparently cannot exit the chamber, he will be dealt with the next time the army makes use of the room.

This is precisely the sort of callous and pointlessly cruel attitude I would expect from a setting that glorifies the Imperial Japanese Army. Frankly, I would be quite shocked if a group of soldier fanatics ruled by a junta acted in anything approaching a humane manner.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:17 am Reply with quote
Episode 4:

So that's how spoiler[Mika became a vampire. It was kinda obvious though that he became one based on the hints. And anyways, this episode establishes more of Yuu's personality. Action felt meh but I think it's more of a buildup to events to come soon.]

Livestocks, beware!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 12:45 pm Reply with quote

spoiler[Mika has transformed quite a lot.
I'm kinda glad he's alive though..
His side of the story was interesting.
Yu is in for a big surprise.
Time for Guren to start teaching.
Looks like Yu met his match in Kimizuki.
Cursed gear aptitude test should be very interesting.
Looks like the vampires are getting ready to make their move.]
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 1:17 pm Reply with quote
This is oddly amusing for me because so far the cast is filled with Yaoi bait and Shinoa so far is acting like a Fujoshi surrogate commenting that she was "sitting back and enjoying the show".

What is nice is that unlike a good chunk of other shows that feature a cast of yaoi vampires it isn't as loud about (implied) yaoi subtext.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 15