• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Seraph of the End (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TRNielson

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:30 pm Reply with quote
Episode 4:

Seraph has the possibility to be a great action anime. Only problem: who the hell still goes to school when an epidemic/vampire apocalypse has happened? spoiler[The whole "characters are still teenagers, therefore, they have to be in school" schtick is really taking away from what a good show this could be. Granted, they tried to justify it last episode, but it still felt like a lame excuse. These people should be in legit military training and instead, we see them in standard classroom settings. It really irks me that we've spent the last three episodes in school.]

spoiler[On the flip side, the vampire action is actually interesting. We knew Mikaela didn't die (courtesy of the OP) but seeing his "forced" resurrection at the hands of Vampire Queen, we know how he survived. Only question at this point is why he's still there? Perhaps some kind of ulterior motive to keep close to the "enemy"? Or perhaps some part of the vampire process causes him to obey the will of the person who turned him? Either way, the vampire side of the story was the far more interesting one.]
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 8:16 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The whole "characters are still teenagers, therefore, they have to be in school" schtick is really taking away from what a good show this could be. Granted, they tried to justify it last episode, but it still felt like a lame excuse. These people should be in legit military training and instead, we see them in standard classroom settings. It really irks me that we've spent the last three episodes in school.

I think the idea of creating a class room setting after the apocalypse CAN work if it was done in the hands of a better writer, they would enforce the nature that the point of the class is to create a sense of normalcy in a world that has become effectively a hellscape for one reason or another.
Obviously, that isn't being done in this particular series.

At the very least they made up a decent excuse why everyone willing to fight isn't being tossed a magic weapon, because if they do that most of them would become possessed by a demon sword and become a threat just as dangerous as the ones they patrol the city for.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 10:21 am Reply with quote
Episode 5:

Ha, Hiiragi is never going to stop teasing Yu, is she? Laughing

I guess this was an okay episode even with lack of action. spoiler[Building up events though, let's hope Yu will finally be able to gain the power he needs although I think his attitude towards it seems a bit aggressive. Guren showed a bit of his power though which was quite impressive.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 12:42 pm Reply with quote
Guren sure has an interesting attitude.
Kinda reminds me of Yu, but a bit mature.
Birds of a feather flock together..
spoiler[Mika] has to deal with his past life being over.
And spoiler[Yu has to deal with school stuff.
His lack of education is showing..]

Still, he & his friends manged to get spoiler[a tryout for the Black Demon Series.]
Guess we'll see how it went next time..
TRNielson

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 8:30 pm Reply with quote
Episode 5:

So far, the major complaint I have had with this series is spoiler[Yu. He annoys the hell out of me. Hopefully, once he gets his weapon (because we know he will) he'll stop being such an annoying brat.]

spoiler[Mika is by far the most interesting character in the show. His humanity is obviously still inside him, which must be a major conflict for him as he has to drink blood to survive. If the series wanted to focus more on him than Yu, I'd be happy.]
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 2:00 pm Reply with quote
Yu is really the worst thing about this anime. His constant bickering with people and always complaining he isn't getting what he thinks he deserves is so annoying. And of course he gets away with it because he's the main character. Heaven forbid he actually learn his lesson and do what people ask him to do. Heck he only made a his new recent friend due to the convince of the plot (gee what the freaking odds mister red head's sister would be in trouble during the exam?).

It's like the writers think his attitude is supposed to be endearing or something (though I do admit to saying he was a few episodes ago). Why don't they attempt to at least make him funny? Like the moments where he declared he wouldn't make friends with anyone. Why not make him an over the top dickhead about? That would have been hilarious in my opinion. That's basically what they did with Shinoa and I absolutely love her character because of it. She's constantly trolling all the characters in the show (even Guren) and is hardly ever serious. That's what this anime needs. Sure you can have your heavy moments when they are warranted but this anime definitely needs to lighten up a bit with it's already pretty simplistic plot. The main characters all have practically the same motivation so needless to say I'm going to need some decent grow from them by the next episode to stay interested.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 3:26 pm Reply with quote
I think the audience disliking Yu might be intentional as he is built up as a morally grey character that even if there wasn't a vampire apocalypse he would still be a punk.
He only finds companions in Yoichi and Shiho because Yoichi has the patience of a saint and has seen first hand some of Yu's hidden power while Shiho is more closer to a traditional "jerk with a heart of gold" with Shiho being shown Yu's "lighter side" and being compelled by what amounts to a stranger to see his Sister "or else you would regret it" as tragedy had already struck Yu hard as much as anyone else in this world.

The appeal of Yu is that even though other characters are putting not so subtle hints that "if you just play the game for a while, you will get your way faster" he refuses to comply out of self pride.
His character is more than established that if he gets power, he will more than be able to kill his share of vampires BUT its going to cause collateral damage in his current state of mind, the "character weakness" is interesting even if it is brought about in a flawed manner.

For me he isn't "unbearable" but I find Yu intriguing for being a "punk character" for what he is as for now it works.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 12:24 am Reply with quote
After five episodes, I'm feeling a lot better about Seraph of the End/Owari no Seraph/Vampire Boyfriends than I remember feeling after watching the first five weeks of Attack on Titan - both shows had first episodes that really impressed me, followed by a few rough episodes that I endured because I really like Hiroyuki Sawano soundtracks.

The writing isn't going to win any awards, but it's not that bad. Of course they go to high school, it's an anime show.

I looked at the first few pages of the manga (it was "Free Comic Book Day" on Saturday, and somehow I found myself in the manga section of my local comic shop with some time to kill) and I ended up liking the art enough that I bought the first volume, so I guess I'm interested enough in Anne Rice's Bleach to spend money on it?

I don't think I'd watch this anime if it didn't have the action girls, though. If the show starts killing them off to make the boys feel sad, I'm going to bail.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 11:47 pm Reply with quote
Wow, only two episodes in and I freaking love this. Love the synopsis, love the characters, love the opening, and the artwork.

Quote:
Yuu is really the worst thing about this anime.

Yuu happens to be MY favorite thing about this anime, shut your face. Razz
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 9:58 am Reply with quote
Episode 6:

Oh poor spoiler[Yoichi. I hope he improves soon as he was the odd one out of the group that didn't do so well in the ceremony. And anyways, it's about time Yuu got his Cursed Gear at long last after going through that illusionary stuff.]

With all this buildup, I'm expecting him to actually put that sword to good use against the vampires.

Lol, spoiler[Asuramaru is such a trap.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 1:57 pm Reply with quote
The spoiler[demon taming].
Each of them experienced they spoiler[deepest, saddest memories.
Yu went straight for the head.
His strong will managed to get him a contract.
Yoichi was having trouble with his demon...
His will was just not strong enough.
Guren was pushing the other two a bit too hard with Yoichi situation.]

Really nice episode.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 2:54 pm Reply with quote
Looks like no more school setting.
TRNielson

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 7:41 pm Reply with quote
WhiteHairGirls wrote:
Looks like no more school setting.

Good. It was stupid to begin with.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 2:12 am Reply with quote
I thought that the animation of the demon in his head fluttering around like smoke looked pretty awesome.
batou37

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 8:07 pm Reply with quote
I have to say that I'm still quite frustrated with Yuu's character. I understand that he hasn't wanted to become close to anyone because he doesn't want to go through losing anyone again (at least I think that's the intent) but it just seems way overdone to the point of being annoying. Hopefully now this will lessen as they are more or less members of the group, and it seemed as if Yuu was accepting of the idea of a new family.
Now to possibly really upset people, was I the only one hoping they were actually going to have to as Guren said spoiler[ "take care of" Yoichi? Not that i particularly have anything against him ] but I just feel that it would have really taken the show to a deeper more realistic level (Inasmuch as a show about vampires and magic demon possessed weapons can be realistic.) spoiler[ It would have served as a wake up call to really instil in them that it was not just a game that they were involved in, they were not invincible, and that close comrades can and probably will die][/spoiler]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 15