• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Heroic Legend of Arslan (TV).

Goto page   Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:01 am Reply with quote

The Heroic Legend of Arslan (TV)

Genres: Action, Adventure, Drama, Fantasy, Historical, Supernatural
Themes: War, Prince, Strategy

Plot Summary: Arslan is the heir apparent of Pars, a strong nation that sits at the hear of the trade route connecting the East and the West. When the pagan nation of Lusitania begins an invasion of Pars, the timid Arslan is confronted with battle for the first time. His worst anxieties are realized the Parsian army falls for a Lusitanian stratagem and are routed. He barely escapes with his life, thanks to the loyal and indomitable warrior Daryun. Together they will stand against the invasion and the cruelties of fate that are about to blow down on Pars.
----------------------------------

There's a lot of CMS for this (one comes out every weekend) but the ones shown so far has promising features in regarding the characters. I believe this is based on Arakawa Hiromu's adaptation of the manga so it'll be interesting to see how it goes considering the series is still ongoing. Not a fan of the studio though but the animation looks solid so far.

It's been awhile since I've seen a good war themed anime so looking forward to this. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 6:04 am Reply with quote

Arslan's face looks very much like Edward Elric's from FMA.
That's pretty much the only reason I decided to check it out.
Lots of characters..
Prince Arslan is totally nothing like his father.
The other kid was more interesting then Arslan.
They do make a good duo though..
Will give this a few more episodes.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 6:22 am Reply with quote
Episode 1:

Great stuff so far. We get the introduction of Arslan and in general, the style of the show with its kingdom setting and artwork. I like how the action was handled too along with the narratives.

The soundtrack is also really good imo including the theme song. We'll see how the show fleshes out more on Arslan's character in the future but so far, this has all my attention.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:30 am Reply with quote
Meh. I can't say I'm grooving on this very much so far. There's something about Prince Goody Two Shoes that grates on me. On the other hand, the show hasn't discouraged me from wanting to see more. This is by no means a Sure Thing for me.
vanfanel

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:58 am Reply with quote
Interesting... This is basically an Episode 0, since none of the events shown here happen in the first novel. Even the war Andragoras is returning from is missing from the book's timeline.

What we've got instead are character intros and a quick tour of the capital of Pals, which it was probably a good idea to do. There's a lot of exposition in the book about the slavery issue, for example, but for TV it's better to establish what's going on before things really get started. For the most part, the characters and worldviews are presented well and accurately, though I did find it a little surprising to see Arslan whining about having to practice his swordfighting.

I wonder if the POW kid is going to turn out to be someone important from the books, or just an original character. In any case, this wasn't bad as an introduction, and it has the added benefit of delaying by one more week the arrival of that horrible Farangeese character design -- c'mon director! It's not too late to change your mind!
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:54 am Reply with quote
More like Heroic Legend of Arse Land, amirite?

I'd probably be more receptive towards this show if it didn't come right on the heels of Yona, whose premise I was already tired of before episode 1 even began. Yona turned out great, but it makes it hard to drum up more interest for another show pulling from the same (very old) storytelling well.
zztop

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:06 am Reply with quote
Mostly looking forward to epic music by Iwashiro Taro. I liked his work on Gargantia.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTs3qOEssjg

The stuff he does for live action is even better, like his work on John Woo's Red Cliff (2008) and The Crossing (2014-2015).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFos7j34L08
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yw4CwqPcyKc

I'm guessing most people here would've preferred Amano Yoshitaka to do the anime designs again?
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:52 pm Reply with quote
zztop wrote:
I'm guessing most people here would've preferred Amano Yoshitaka to do the anime designs again?

Abso-effing-lutely. His designs are unique and rare enough to elevate material like this even further. Arakawa's are plain and workmanlike. It's honestly one of the major reasons I might skip this show and come back to it instead of having it crowd my weekly schedule.
CoreSignal

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:59 am Reply with quote
zztop wrote:

Yep. Arakawa's designs just look so bland and kiddie-looking compared to the designs in the OVAs.

Edit: didn't Sachiko Kamimura do the OVA designs? I thought Amano only did the illustrations for the novels.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:34 am Reply with quote
Episode 1

I would say that I liked how the episode presented some morality issues. The prince is a good guy, his kingdom is not all bad, but he just does not understand very well things outside of his experience. First episode felt like Yona meets Magi, but no indication yet of how good this might be.

I really liked the designs of the birds, how it moved when it was on the ground.
CoreSignal

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:49 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
but no indication yet of how good this might be.

It's obviously too early to tell, but I'm pretty confident this show will turn out well. The source material is strong and the staff so far is coming through on the visual and musical side. I think the only danger is if we get less than 22-24 episodes, or just one season.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 4:49 am Reply with quote
It was ok, nothing that stood out as spectacular. The one glaring problem was the CG battle scenes. They were way too robotic and went on too long. That sort of thing would be fine for the backdrop to a hand drawn personal combat, but on its own it just seemed like ants moving around.
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:22 am Reply with quote
It only took three minutes for this anime to insult views' intelligence and basic knowledge of history by showing sword practice on stone tiles/slabs.

Whether you take middle Eastern castles or Western castles, such practices were never held on stones for obvious reasons: when you fall, it is much better to fall on grass, or thatch, or sand, rather than onto a stone -- and you fall a lot during such practices.

People were never as dumb as lazy authors suggest by not respecting neither accuracy of realistic parts of their projects, nor their viewers, to make things right.

I always have one main request to authors: just think what you are showing, how you are showing, whether it makes sense. In this case, they did not even have to consult with historians or visit castles-museums, just thinking would be already enough for them to not offer ignorant nonsense in their scenery.

But, no, often times they go with "Who carers? It is just a stupid anime/manga anyway, readers/viewers will eat it!" -- this is now how you respect audience and make really high-quality product.

There are other things that are wrong with that very first grey-haired Erlic scene and further, but this one as an example of lack of quality is enough for now. Yes, those are minor details, but they are exemplary.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:34 pm Reply with quote
If I were going to get upset about the sword fighting in an anime, it would be by how the trainer was using a wooden sword against Aslan's apparently live sword. Not that you can't do that if you are skilled enough, but if you do, you need to fight very differently than that character was, using the wooden sword to hit the flat of the opposing blade and knocking it away, not catching it blade to blade as he was. Even if Aslan was a complete novice, he'd still slice huge chips in and eventually break the wooden sword.
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:03 pm Reply with quote
As I wrote, the stone tiles bit is just one example about lack of care of authors about accuracy. There are more, including what you describe, and other things.

Few more bits of merciless uncompromising criticism:

The way how prince has become a hostage is stupid. There were (uniquely rare) cases when young princes would want to travel to quarters of commoners, but they were always perfectly guarded -- not going to random places with just single guardian like it is shown here.

Hostage situation would be more believable if the prince would be uncontrollable and mischievous, and would have suddenly ran away from the guards, and then got captured by the foreigner boy. It is not something intricate at all, but authors did not care to come up with even such solution -- they have turned the hostage story into the farce by doing it the way they did it.

Prince's kingdom is not some original fantasy world but most blatant rip-off from a middle Eastern country, and it is supposed that it was oh-so-barbaric slave-owning society while Western-looking boy from opposing country proclaims their civilization thinks that all men are equal -- is nothing else other than hidden racism against middle-Eastern countries and white-washing, in reality, slavery- and robbery-Crusades-driven Western cultures of the past. The issue is not that it is formally falls into "politically incorrect" category, but with the fact that such disposition is fundamentally false.

Unless authors go to make historic project or correct allegory, they have to come up with their own countries/kingdoms, instead to brainwashing audience with clear cues on good/bad sides that remind of countries/cultures that exist/existed in reality. As it is now, it insults decency and fairness (I am not Muslim and not from middle East, so it is not personal in this regard).

By the way, it is weird that prince and foreigner boy speak the same language (typical, but I do not like this dumbing down at all).

Last edited by MaxSouth on Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:48 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 13