• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Heroic Legend of Arslan (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vanfanel

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:08 am Reply with quote
MaxSouth wrote:
authors had a falcon landing on main lad's unprotected (!) upper (!) arm.

I was too distracted by the falcon's poorly-composited CG-ness to notice how it landed. In the books, I think Arslan eventually gets a falcon, but it doesn't appear in the first volume. OTOH, I did like Arslan noting from its damp feathers that bad weather might be in store.
Darkmagick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:12 am Reply with quote
MaxSouth wrote:

...I'm pretty sure Arslan was wearing armor at the time.
CoreSignal

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:54 pm Reply with quote
MaxSouth wrote:
CoreSignal wrote:
If you think the writers of the show are "fundamentally ignorant" or prejudiced because of their upbringing, then you probably shouldn't be watching the show. I appreciate the fact that you're warning us about this "despicable" cultural propaganda, but I think we'll be okay.

So you are suggesting that people who should watch something only if they do not see faults in it?

I'm implying that if think the show is prejudiced, then why are you watching it? is it to warn everyone else about it?

MaxSouth wrote:
I am not going around and telling people to "tone up" their critiques of anime, so I expect the same about "tone down" requests.

Sure, why not? Please say stuff like "complete BS", "ignorant and lazy authors", "insults decency", "brainwashing audience", etc. as much you want. And I'm serious when I say that. I'm not a mod, so you're free to say whatever you want.

MaxSouth wrote:
Lets focus on concrete arguments.

You haven't presented many arguments here. You claim that the creators are insulting the viewer's intelligence with inaccurate sword fighting. I said this is a fictional show that is not intended to be historically accurate. Then you said "Just because because the authors do non-historical/fantasy project, it does not give them a pass to BS everything about it". That fact you already acknowledged that the show is non-historical/fantasy and then still say it needs to realistic/accurate tells me you're not listening to what anyone else says. I don't even want to get into your "historical whitewashing" argument either.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:43 am Reply with quote
I certainly enjoyed episode 2 more than the first. That Daryun is so manly!

*swoons*

This just might turn out to be a pretty decent fantasy series after all.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 4:03 pm Reply with quote
I'm usually not into sausage fest shows, but I think it'll be worth sticking around just to see Daryun be a total badass.
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 6:50 am Reply with quote
Darkmagick wrote:
MaxSouth wrote:

Not on *upper* arm.

CoreSignal wrote:
I'm implying that if think the show is prejudiced, then why are you watching it? is it to warn everyone else about it?

So you are exactly saying that people should not watch anything that is not perfect. I, and most other people, do not agree: everybody should watch he/she wants to watch, and critique flaws that he/she notices.

CoreSignal wrote:
You haven't presented many arguments here.

I outlined very concrete arguments on this. Trying to brush it off by writing about how many or not those arguments were in quantity is transparent tactics against honest debate on the essence of arguments, which is about how strong or weak they are, not about their quantity.

CoreSignal wrote:
You claim that the creators are insulting the viewer's intelligence with inaccurate sword fighting. I said this is a fictional show that is not intended to be historically accurate. Then you said "Just because because the authors do non-historical/fantasy project, it does not give them a pass to BS everything about it". That fact you already acknowledged that the show is non-historical/fantasy and then still say it needs to realistic/accurate tells me you're not listening to what anyone else says.

The fact that you are writing that I am not listening to what others say by ignoring the fact I outlined concrete difference between axiomatic rules of a setting in an anime that can be BS (like magic or fictional states), and everything else, that can not be BS (like sword practice, falcon landing on wrong part of the arm and without protection), tells me you are not listening to what anyone else says.

[Edit]: removed the worst snark. Errinundra.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 7:06 am Reply with quote
As I've said in another thread a short while ago, please talk about the show, not each other's character deficiencies or debating skills.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Darkmagick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:04 am Reply with quote
MaxSouth wrote:
Darkmagick wrote:
MaxSouth wrote:

Not on *upper* arm.

That's highly unlikely. It may have been covered by cloth, but he almost certainly had protection there as well. That's kind of important to protect in battle.

I mean, it's perfectly realistic that some people in the battle would've had incomplete armor on. That stuff's expensive. But Arslan is the prince. Being able to afford proper battle protection is most certainly not an issue for him.
Aylinn

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 12:43 pm Reply with quote
After watching two episodes, I still don’t care about the characters or the story. I am not a fan of battles, so maybe that is way. As for the battle itself, the trap struck me as highly improbable. With the technology they have, digging something like that would take a lot of time and I don’t think the work would be worth the effort.

Also, I don’t like the king, he behaves as if he had PMS and is an idiot, but I suppose that he inherited the throne rather than got it because of his talents, so I have no problem with it. Arslan is ok, but nothing special.

I will wait for the more interesting characters to appear.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 3:48 pm Reply with quote
MaxSouth wrote:
...authors had a falcon landing on main lad's unprotected (!) upper (!) arm.

In both landing sequences, Arslan's flesh was protected by cloth at the least, and in the scene you're complaining about we don't know what's under his cape or how thick the material is. And this should show you that you don't even need that. I know you'll say that's fake or special effects, but I know for a fact that the peregrine did land on his unprotected hand just as filmed (it did draw some pinpricks of blood though). It's a younger bird than the ones in Arslan, but it still has talons. Smile
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Darkmagick wrote:
That's highly unlikely. It may have been covered by cloth, but he almost certainly had protection there as well. That's kind of important to protect in battle.

I mean, it's perfectly realistic that some people in the battle would've had incomplete armor on. That stuff's expensive. But Arslan is the prince. Being able to afford proper battle protection is most certainly not an issue for him.

Historic armour sets check (whether middle Eastern or Western) will show that the armour is not under the sleeve, but above it. And, the more so, not half way -- above the sleeve like on the forearm in this anime, and other half, upper arm, under the sleeve, as you suggest.

In certain cases a very fine hauberk could be used, but not on naked body, of course. So it should be above the sleeve. But even if it was covered above with another layer of sleeve, hauberk would not work against claws of a falcon due to its very nature.

Gina Szanboti wrote:
MaxSouth wrote:
...authors had a falcon landing on main lad's unprotected (!) upper (!) arm.

In both landing sequences, Arslan's flesh was protected by cloth at the least, and in the scene you're complaining about we don't know what's under his cape or how thick the material is. And this should show you that you don't even need that. I know you'll say that's fake or special effects, but I know for a fact that the peregrine did land on his unprotected hand just as filmed (it did draw some pinpricks of blood though). It's a younger bird than the ones in Arslan, but it still has talons. Smile

Why I would call it "fake" or "special effects"?

This is a scene of a falcon landing on a small and relatively convenient part of a hand that allows the bird to not harm the owner (most of the time).

However, you will never find a scene of falcon landing on unprotected upper arm because there is no way for a bird to fix its position on it without instinctively using the claws -- which can not go around an object as thick as upper arm without harming the owner.

Forearm is a mix case, but falcons were trained to land on a gauntlet since ancient times because forearm is already significantly bigger object than palm and fingers (of a relaxed fist) as in the video. Falcons are not consistently able to land there without harming the owner. Because of this, even special gauntlets were invented for falcon owners -- can be seen in many museums.

[Edit]: as aleady requested, please keep your comments focussed on the show. Errinundra.
CoreSignal

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:42 pm Reply with quote
@MaxSouth, I'm a little disappointed about your language. I wasn't expecting something that impolite. Anyway, this will be my last comment on this subject. We've already derailed this thread and this discussion is clearly going nowhere.

MaxSouth wrote:
The fact that you are writing that I am not listening to what others say by ignoring the fact I outlined concrete difference between axiomatic rules of a setting in an anime that can be BS (like magic or fictional states), and everything else, that can not be BS (like sword practice, falcon landing on wrong part of the arm and without protection), tells me you are not listening to what anyone else says.

Two points: (1) How can something be both axiomatic and BS? That's a contradictory statement. You already mentioned magic. There is nothing axiomatic about magic. Magic can be whatever the creator wants it to be. spoiler alert for Arslan spoiler[a wizard shows up later]. I think you're going to dislike this show even more.

(2) Internal, logical consistency is not the same as historical accuracy. Your arguments have been conflating the former and the latter. Arslan and Daryun do not transform into mechs or fly through the air.That is consistent with the setting of the show and Arslan has been internally consistent so far. The moisture from the extreme fog should cause the soil to become soft, making it difficult for cavalry horses to gallop at full speed. That is historical/real-world accuracy. Once again, complaints about 100% historical/real-world accuracy do not apply in a non-historical show.

edit: added some clarification.

Last edited by CoreSignal on Sun Apr 19, 2015 1:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 3:32 am Reply with quote
Episode 3:

That was great. I'm surprised spoiler[they introduced multiple main characters including Silvermask as well. I am impressed by his introduction though (voiced by Kaji Yuuki) and his abilities. He really made quite an impression in terms of his brutality.]

Can't wait for next week to see how the story will move forward with this development.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Yttrbio
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 3:55 pm Reply with quote
Wow, exposition through awkward dialogue is bad enough. Was it really necessary to include awkward dialogue to highlight the lack thereof? "Hold on! I'm going to explain what's going on!" "Absolutely not! We need to draw this out over many more episodes! Prepare to die!"
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:18 pm Reply with quote
I knew this was inevitable, but I'm already being overwhelmed by the cast of thousands. :/
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 13