• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
(The) Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-chan (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
12skippy21

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 3:34 pm Reply with quote
Listening to Crispins voice made me enjoy the experience much more than the sub, probably due to nostalgia. I can buy into the cute thing but what stands out the most (especially as a novel fan) is the lack of the Kyon snark in this version, this is what stops me digging the show despite my love for Yuki.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 12:19 am Reply with quote
12skippy21 wrote:
I can buy into the cute thing but what stands out the most (especially as a novel fan) is the lack of the Kyon snark in this version, this is what stops me digging the show despite my love for Yuki.

But isn't most of Kyon's snark only said in his head? One of the reasoning for the Haruhi/Kyon relationship would be that Haruhi seemed to almost mind readingly know he was not thinking something pleasant. The entire dialogue of Kyon from episode 0 of the original series is from inside his head

I think we actually do actually see the evidence of his similar thoughts in places like the current episode where he says out loud that it was like giving birth when Asakura had to be pulled. It is really fairly common to only be privy to the snark nature when you are hearing their thoughts. it seems to be the trope of: First Person Smartass, which has also included the likes of Watashi and Araragi.

Since we have been seeing through the eyes of an innocent and shy Yuki who is actually willing to go along with some of Haruhi's crazy ideas and finds small events with others as being important, instead of a deconstruction that is Melancholy, it is only natural for there not to be that much snark.
12skippy21

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 1:21 am Reply with quote
True, still miss it though. The funniest bits to me have been when he makes sarcastic comments such as the one you mentioned. Will be interesting to see how the characters change in response to the crash.
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 6:55 pm Reply with quote
Episode 10:

Somehow, I feel like the title for this season is starting to make sense now especially with the development of this week's episode. It's probably the most serious yet (not much comedic moments at all from start to finish).

Nagato reacts most of the conversations with indifference while Asakura and Kyon tries to support her after almost getting directly hit by a car. Glad to know she survived though.

Also, I found the camera angles used to be quite clever this episode with the longer timings especially on the facial expressions on the characters' faces as well as various shots of the home/school/rainy weather/etc.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shikiari

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:22 pm Reply with quote
Episode 10

I sense viewing figures rising for this and the next two episodes. It does beg the question though on where they are planning to end the anime at... From the current pace i'd say right after spoiler[Sasaki] appears for the first time.

I thought the episode was wonderfully constructed and had a real drab atmosphere which brought the once comedic element down to a Melancholic tone. The "Who are you?" ending was rather chilling also.

So yeah, best enjoy seeing this side of Nagato... spoiler[whilst it lasts...]
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 2:25 am Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
Nagato reacts most of the conversations with indifference while Asakura and Kyon tries to support her after almost getting directly hit by a car. Glad to know she survived though.

Actually I would dispute the thing about indifference, because it is kind of missing the point with the original Yuki. She has become a lot like her Melancholy self, she has not lost emotions and become uninterested in things around her, to me it looks more like she is back to being unable to express those emotions, and connecting with other people.

Several times in the episode she makes note in thanking people, expressing that she is okay as to not worry them, and the like. While usually a person only answering in the shortest possible way and after fairly big breaks after a question would be sign that someone is quite indifferent, it really is not the case with her. She simply does not know how to act. She is actually a little better than her Melancholy version in that we see several times that she is able to make somewhat facial expressions, something that took Kyon some while to figure out. Actually Kyon seemed a little on board in picking it up as not to be freaked out.

I find it sad, because we knew that it was that Yuki's wish that she could even just a little more be able to express herself. And there is a change in her pastime, what does her reading books over playing games mean? As someone who plays games I can say that a game can let you be someone else, requiring a bit of understanding and creativity. And it is my opinion that being someone else, exploring their life, is exactly why Yuki reads books in the first place, only now certain parts have switched that the machinations of things like internal dialogue and other parts of books is what she fits into.

Example would be the part of her in PJs while Asakura is making dinner. Do you really think there was no emotion there? No, I can say that it says a hell lot about how she is feeling. And I say that as someone of knowledge of people who suffer the ability to properly express themselves, or enter into what people consider common small talk.

The thing that has interested me about her character is the very notion that she says something that a person who looks like a robot and barely talks, does not necessarily have nothing to say. That being in that position of not being able to talk to others, being that lone person doing their thing, and only able to answer in a direct manor instead of what people do to start a conversation, or even what to do in a conversation, is actually incredibly isolating. That isolation can be incredibly depressing and instead it is much better to vicariously live another life through fiction.

Don't think that expressionless person who is alone and unable to reach out to others, is some robot who is indifferent to everyone else, because that is not true.
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Episode 11:

Another moody episode.

I think I'm starting to get used to this Nagato Yuki now compared to the one with a lot of emotions from the first half of this season. I mean, this is pretty much like the original one. It was also kinda interesting to see some of her narrative and inner thoughts from a personal perspective too.

I think she should feel lucky that Asakura and Kyon are by her side to support.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:42 pm Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
Another moody episode.

At least they refrained from having it rain the whole time.

Although I didn't need the re-hashing of the last episode, I did kind of like how they muffled the dialog when it was a flash-back. I don't recall another anime that used that technique although flash-backs are common.

It seems pretty clear that we are expected to think that this is the original Yuki from MoHS rebooting itself and will eventually take over in this universe.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 7:25 am Reply with quote
Episode 11

This was so precious, that she was worried about her friends abandoning "her", that she was comforted by Asakura helping her, and she clearly really wants to go to the library with Kyon.

To have some commentary of what this side of Yuki is good to the audience, it kind of felt like a lot of ways Melancholy's Yuki feels like an outsider, was trying to do her best often in playing a part, and being grateful in someone asking for her help. As a standout moment I liked how we saw the deformed version of this Yuki being a lot like the one from Haruhi-chan, which of course I had to go watch an episode right now of Yuki and Asakura, included Yuki's stomach grumbles.

I can't really think of an anime that had some sort of dysmnesia like this, and I am pretty enjoying it. Great that they could support this Yuki also and talk about things.
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 6:26 pm Reply with quote
Episode 12:

Interesting episode. It shows more of Nagato's life with Kyon and this one had more of a lighthearted mood although still feels different from the first half of the season.

I think she got her glasses back near the end though based on the narration.
Shikiari

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:53 pm Reply with quote
Episode 12

It's been a nice few episodes but I'd really like them to get a move on with this arc and by the looks of the tease at the end, that should be it next week.

I do wonder how they'll end the series, especially with that weird number of episodes. There's too much content left to wrap it up in three episodes and unless there's a second cour, I can't see them introducing spoiler[Sasaki] now.

So we may have an alternate ending on the cards, but I best not get too excited over nothing yet.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:22 pm Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
Interesting episode.

Sure got existential as all hell there.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 1:45 am Reply with quote
Honestly, it feels like it is drawing on my favourite aspects of the franchise, very disappearance like and my favourite character. When we saw Yuki floating through the air as she found her way into the library, it felt like it captured an actually very meaningful part of Melancholy, you can probably find the scene under "The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya - Library Scene" on Youtube. Actually a fairly small part, but we see Yuki actually kind of look like she is floating as she is clearly very interested, it was actually pretty much a one second moment, from a Kyon perspective I guess, and well extended here.

Yuki afraid of disappearing, being replaced by her past self or something, actually that also has a lot of connections to the original Yuki. It was clearly quite ominous, although I personally really like that style of static, maybe its use in Endless Eight used a bit in reference to Yuki then also. Makes me want to run in and try and convince Yuki that it would be her two halves becoming one, because I don't like seeing this character so afraid of her own existence.
Shikiari

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Episode 13

And so ends the Dissapearance arc. Whilst a part of me is happy that the plot has moved on, I knew that this episode was going to be emotional and I'm saddened to have lost that Yuki.

I'm a sucker for romantic scenes and the interaction between Kyon and Yuki just ticked all the boxes. I'm just glad that she was able to tell him how she felt, leave with peace of mind and without any regrets.

So normal service should be resumed next week which will definitely infuriate a lot of 'original' Yuki fans once more.
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:32 pm Reply with quote
Episode 13:

Interesting episode. I find some of the inner dialogues coming from Yuki to be the most memorable so far. The connections she is forging in the present storyline with both Asakura and Kyon is also invaluable. I've been always eager to see what she will do each week ever since the tone of the series changed a bit.

Cute picnic though. But yeah, these last few episodes has been an emotional ride.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5