• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
(The) Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-chan (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shikiari

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:10 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
In fact I think that is the whole point. The title of this anime is The Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-chan and indeed she has disappeared -- replaced by this moe-blob that has a few superficial similarities but not much else. But if it weren't for the possibility (promise?) of Nagato returning (since she has disappeared) there wouldn't be much point to watching this other than as a sentimental reprise.

spoiler[There may not be "much point to watching this other than a sentimental reprise then."] spoiler[Moe-blob Nagato isn't going anywhere anytime soon.]

Something does happen briefly, which I won't say more on but 'The Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-chan' is about the spoiler[Nagato of the disappearance arc falling in love with Kyon]. All the other characters are used on the side to basically try and make this happen through the crazy antics that Haruhi is known for.

If you're looking for wibley wobley timey wimey time travel malarkey plus god like powers and strange occurrences then you better start praying for Season 3 of Melancholy. Razz
Oroboro

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:28 pm Reply with quote
I do love how hard Asakura is trying to get Nagato laid.

Like, way to be a bro. Laughing
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 5:53 am Reply with quote
Episode 2

I appreciate the flashbacks for how we got to the current situation of Yuki having Kyon and Ryoko in the club. Episode also seems to be saying that spoiler[Mikuru and Tsuruya are joining]. Good thing they do indeed keep that Kyon spoiler[lusts for Mikuru, even it not really going beyond that].

As also a fan of the other spin-off, Haruhi-chan, I did get a laugh out of Yuki spoiler[playing games through the night]. Indeed felt reminiscent of some jokes of spoiler[Achakura against Yuki's bad habits].

I unfortunately could not help but compare some scenes to the awesome movie. Particularly the spoiler[snow scene which had Kyon saying "Yuki" and visibily taking her by surprise]. Although I guess that was more spoiler[bitter sweet]. Or really all the emotions Kyoto Animation worked into the scene of spoiler[Yuki giving Kyon the handout]. I do interpret some things as being the difference between the horror of the movie against the mellow of this series.
Shikiari

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:10 am Reply with quote
Episode 2

Well that was wonderfully warm and fuzzy episode. I do find it funny how the madness ramps up to a 100 once spoiler[Haruhi] enters the scene. She does have that quality about her, even in the spin-off.

The Christmas party was a success but that was never in doubt with Asakura in charge. Though she does tend to spoiler[get in the way of YukixKyon] by complete accident, even though she tries real hard to make it happen.

Really looking forward to next week now for spoiler[Haruhi's/ Koizumi] proper introduction to the Literature Club. Asakura, watch out!
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:17 pm Reply with quote
So Episode 2 I find my interest increased for obvious reasons. It wasn't clear the way the flashbacks worked but it seems that spoiler[Haruhi] actually inspired Nagato.

Was I the only one that got a real "Lucky Star" vibe when Kyon handed the two girls the presents?

That was a nice little romantic scene in the courtyard there but couldn't they have found something more interesting to look at than the vending machines and trash cans?

At last my ANN handle doesn't seem so dated anymore.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:52 pm Reply with quote
I have mixed thoughts on Haruhi's role in this season. I mean, it's fun to watch but it's not just the same as before. This series is more like a comedy slice of life so I had expected it I guess.

Some of the conversation dialogues were quite amusing though and the girls looked cute in their spoiler[santa outfits.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cellar Door

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 1:14 pm Reply with quote
I'm getting the vibe of a "distant memory" or a "dream" theme. Satelight seems to be sticking close to style of the TDoHS film. The music is the most similar.

Episode 2, the manga, a couple of allusions to the original series, and some speculation:
spoiler[I could have sworn that the cake was seen close up in the manga, but I can't seem to find it. The only thing I can find is Yuki's sketch of it, which shows 4 figures on top, which I was thinking would allude to her 'memory' of the other 'Universe's' club members that she 'unconsciously' drew. I mean, who would be the 4th person if she drew herself, Asakura, and Kyon?

Instead, in this anime rendition, we have only 3 figures (snowmen) on top of the cake (with 2 smiling snowmen on the first tier of the cake and 2 hidden in the back) that represent Kyon (though, this one doesn't really look like Kyon, instead, it kind of looks like Tsuruya or even Haruhi with their proud/confident 'looks'), Yuki, and Asakura respectively. It's kind of like people noticing that Kyon doesn't look like "Kyon", which is obviously done for a design reason. Going a little further, it might actually be both Kyon and Haruhi as one character, conveying the theory that they're both gods, with Kyon being the 'main' god who lent his powers, which is why they both inevitably want the same zanny things to happen. It seems intentionally ambiguous.

The Yuki snowman has no mouth. Unemotional.
The Asakura snowman has no mouth as well, but looks slightly angry with slanted eyebrows and lashes. Cold, judgmental, vengeful...bloodthirsty.
The smiling snowmen, at least one of them could be Asahina and I suppose the other one could be Tsuruya or even Kyon, depending on who you believe is represented as the first snowman, which I'm leaning more towards being Tsuruya, but one of them could also be Itsuki since he's smiling all the time.

The other allusion and divergence that I saw was that Yuki actually sprayed fake snow on to the window writing "Merry Xmas!", which she doesn't do in the manga, and she writes it backwards so that people outside can read it easily, which is the opposite of the way Haruhi wrote the same message in the film with it pointing inward into the room, which Kyon brings up in narration questioning her choice. One could represent Yuki's need to 'help the world/Kyon', whereas Haruhi is more interested in 'helping the brigade/Kyon', despite the overall 'goal' being bringing excitement to 'everyone', at least in the original series.

Cool stuff. It would work within my theory that the two universes will coalesce eventually.
]
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:00 pm Reply with quote
Episode 3:

My favorite episode this week for this season. spoiler[I think Haruhi retains the same personality as the original series and that brings a lot of energy to the club. (new members enter in fact!). And also, this episode does a good job of imo....of portraying the humor with the alien/santa talk.]

Ah, classic stuff.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:09 pm Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
My favorite episode this week for this season. ... Ah, classic stuff.

This has gotten far more interesting than I ever thought it would be.

Haruhi's personality is oddly different and also the same as the original. What brings it out more is that we are approaching her as a stranger rather than the way Kyon first met her. She seems to be talking a whole lot more about herself than she ever did before.

And something else to think about is how she was unexpectedly sympathetic to Kyon when Yuki went overboard in denying being a couple.

I would expect to see a lot more activity on this thread than I am seeing. This new installment has all he marks of being a big hit.
Shikiari

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 7:08 am Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
I would expect to see a lot more activity on this thread than I am seeing. This new installment has all he marks of being a big hit.

The one common criticism I read about Nagato Yuki-Chan is always the same. "I don't like moe Nagato so i'm going to avoid it." This manga has the feel of the original with the comedy factor of 'Suzumiya Haruhi-chan', but you've just got to accept that there is an underlining romance plot involved also.

Episode 3

Best episode of the series and week, so far. The first two episodes we're a little slow by trying to introduce the characters in ways which we are unfamiliar with, but now that spoiler[Haruhi and Koizumi has joined the Literature club] things aren't going to slow down for a second.

Honestly, I prefer short hair Haruhi, but i'm pretty much in agreement with Kyon that her spoiler[ponytail] style is the bomb.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 7:58 am Reply with quote
Episode 3

"spoiler[Why was I brought here]?!" I am sure many of us were expecting this soon, only thing missing was: "spoiler[Why are you locking the door]?" One of the most iconic scenes across the worlds of spoiler[Haruhi's procurement of Mikuru]. I got the same smile on my face when it happened in the movie too. Like a walk back into familiar ground. Aya Hirano's Haruhi is a powerful thing in just warping scenes around her.
Emerje

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:18 am Reply with quote
Question: Was Haruhi's "declaration" changed in Japanese for this series or did FUNi's translator just feel like making it more complicated sounding? I've only seen it translated in English as "aliens, time travelers, espers, and sliders" but the subtitles for this time were something like "aliens, people from the future, people from another dimension, and people with supernatural powers". Why so wordy?

I noticed Nagato's writing on the window, but I think it was just a matter of her knowing how to write on a window and worth a chuckle out of people who noticed and nothing more.

Emerje
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 8:19 am Reply with quote
Episode 4

The end was kind of spoiler[obvious in seeing coming, that Yuki would walk in on Haruhi giving Kyon Chocolate]. My response is telling spoiler[Haruhi to go away because this is Yuki's show]. She must have known spoiler[what Yuki was doing].

This episode felt like it had an extra helping of things similar to in the Haruhi-chan ONA. Like when spoiler[Haruhi and Tsuruya are about to fight they are shown as a dog and crane], which was just like the appearance in the first episode of Haruhi-chan. Haruhi-chan also had both a spoiler[cooking episode, and a valentines day episodes], notable were parts then of Yuki spoiler[failing by turning melted chocolate back into the bar or eating what they made].

I do enjoy adorable offs.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:03 am Reply with quote
Episode 4:
That ending though....wow.

Wasn't surprising to me in a way considering all the buildup with both Nagato and Kyon in their separate point of views.
Shikiari

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 7:29 pm Reply with quote
Episode 5

If this show was to crash and burn into a thousand firery pieces (which it won't), then it could still do no wrong to me. Those final 20 seconds before the ED has put the biggest smile in my face I can remember in some time, anime viewing-wise of course... Especially when it's just not expected.

It does make me wonder though if they are going to tie it in with the spoiler["Dissapearance" arc], since the scene wasn't in the manga at all.

The episode was all about Asakura for me, that girl goes through more expressions than an emoji. I'm actually enjoying the spoiler[invisible romance between Kyon and Yuki] since it's still pretty cute even if it's been done by a thousand shows, a thousand times before.

But yeah, the scene stealer was definitely spoiler[young Haruhi and the infamous "John Smith"] call out. Looking forward to next week!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5