• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
(The) Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-chan (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:42 pm Reply with quote
How precious. Kind of feels like all the earlier stuff happened just for this, the memories, and the affection. Do the two Yuki have to be different entities, catching her emotions was great. And yes, kind of emotional.
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Episode 14:

Well, the fun is returning again and reminds me more of the first half of this show. Haruhi's return also made this series more energetic and some of the dialogues reminds me of the original Haruhi series again.

Loved some of the cryptic dream-like scenes still though:

"John Smith".
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gatherum

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:07 pm Reply with quote
Does anyone else think that the opening theme should have changed come the beginning of the disappearance arc? It's not that it's a bad theme, but it's way too upbeat for the story at hand, and kind of breaks the mood when it starts playing.

Not that the aforementioned arc was anything less than stellar. <3
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 10:28 pm Reply with quote
Episode 14

Happy to see that this seems to be going for another cour. Also cool to see some returning lines, like that birthday one. And Asakura figured out where Haruhi was going with the tanabata wishes, making her unable to act as high and mighty.
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:32 pm Reply with quote
Yup, I think the show is definitely in the same mood as the first half now. We get beach fun with watermelons, games, and swimsuits. Haruhi looked nice in her outfit tbh.

And then there's Nagato and Kyon's moments. I'm not sure how they will do the finale but at this point, they are probably the two closest characters that have bonded over this season. That last scene was adorable.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 12:45 am Reply with quote
Episode 15

Kyon did not get distracted by Haruhi's ponytail, he is indeed super into Yuki.

Also Kyon's sister, a year older than she would have been during the previous year, but her clashing here with Kyon was kind of funny.
Shikiari

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 7:41 am Reply with quote
Episode 15

Beach time! It was great seeing the club in their swimsuits; as for Kyon not mentioning Haruhi's ponytail, he did take notice of her ravishing figure at least, though looked obviously embarrassed when asked to comment on Yuki.

So at last love seems to be blooming both ways and the last episode will cement those feelings in place. Though with it being the apparent last episode next, there is still a lot to cover in the source material including the highly anticipated Sasaki which makes her appearance in the next chapter. I do hope they include her in since it's pivotal to the YukixKyon plot.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 1:30 am Reply with quote
Episode 16 (finale):

Hmm, I'm not entirely sure what to rate this. When it comes to comedy, I felt that it was repetitive and the drama parts were a bit frustrating to watch. Now, Kyon and Nagato has great chemistry imo and I think the Disappearance Arc was a highlight point for that. In fact, I think the Disappearance Arc was very well done and those few episodes were really memorable.

For the finale, I kinda liked it? It was nice seeing Kyon/Nagato one more time including a confession but not much else than that. I'll rate this show as decent.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 6:14 am Reply with quote
Episode 16

Kyon-kun Denwa.
A play off of the infamous Endless 8. It really is a nice meallow plot when the tough terror inducing part is removed. Actually there might have been a couple thing in keeping with other Haruhi thing too like music, you know what Haruhi was humming.

(Finale)
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
This was supposed to be a two core anime, right? I got my hopes up and more Nagato Yuki! I don't feel closure, 16 episodes is such a random number. Nagato Yuki-chan has disappeared.

Well I have enjoyed it as it has run. I am a fan of the Haruhi franchise, Yuki is my favourite character, and the Dissapeareance is one of my favourite all out anime movies (or in general). I like Yuki, I liked this Yuki for all her quirks and trying to move forward. But even more I think we will admit that there is nothing like the other Yuki, and that was a simple fact that made the arc in this anime so good. And it really did feel like the last episode was tapping into the part that says this Yuki is not bad, but I would also totally fall in love with that other one who despite being very internal shows how she feels, that she has a tough time connecting.

I was happy throughout the show, regardless the plot type, or the Yuki. I might be fanboying and such, but I enjoyed this, like a dream of what could have been from an already important series to me. Very good rating from me, couldn't miss it.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 2:34 pm Reply with quote
My favourite thing about the show is that Ryouko gets to stick around. I hated how she turned out to be evil and got written out so quickly in the original.

Hope this gets a second season. That's the only way we'll ever get animated Sasaki Crying or Very sad
Shikiari

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:31 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Hope this gets a second season. That's the only way we'll ever get animated Sasaki Crying or Very sad

Episode 16/Finale

Argh, they bottled it! In all honestly it's quite understandable why they didn't include Sasaki in the last episode. It definitely would have been out of place with the setting.
I think the only way were going to see Sasaki and then eventually Watahashi animated is by having a third season of 'Melancholy' which could well depend on how well this sells.

I thought the finale was otherwise nicely done, with many references to 'Melancholy's Endless 8'. I was shouting "Just do the Homework!" at the tv during the end scene. I did noticed that Haruhi was also humming 'Bouken Desho Desho' during the café meet - a nice touch.

I'm going to hope that there's a second season, since there's still plenty of source material to cover, so I'll give it a rating of Very Good for the meantime.
Gatherum

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:52 am Reply with quote
I might write something more comprehensive about this later; for now, it's late, and I'm not sure I want to the commit right now. What I will say is that if this is not to be followed up by a second season, then that spoiler[cop-out of a love confession from Kyon] gets a vehement "boooo" from me. I don't know of anybody who would be satisfied with spoiler[just saying something that important out loud and being content with knowing that the listener didn't even hear it].

I'm not asking for a damn kiss and/or some raunchy sex or whatever, but what is it with anime and leaving these romantic (sub)plots half-finished? I don't know; maybe it's a cultural thing that I just don't get or whatever, but goddamn, if you're gonna spend sixteen episodes and all of this energy building up towards some kind of realisation, why in the name of Amaterasu would you not follow through? This just happens (or rather, doesn't happen) way too often in anime with any sort of romantic angle, and having spoiler[the more stoic Nagato take the initiative shortly before disappearing (I see what they did there) without giving Kyon the chance to offer an answer] doesn't change that. Of course, this show is by no means the worst offender--A Lull in the Sea had several love polygons and conflicts going on simultaneously that all basically went [expletive] nowhere by series' end--but I'm still disappointed it happened here regardless.

Oh well. At least we got a good spoiler[Endless Eight reference] at the end. It was amusingly ominous somehow, even if it was nothing more than that.
ayanami000

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:49 pm Reply with quote
I thought it was Haruhi's disappearance? If this is true I would love to watch this. Not to mention I'm a big fan of Nagato Yuki. I even made that my In game name in some online games. Haha
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:57 am Reply with quote
OVA

And we got more summer, a repeat from the last episode. Well minus any actual time repeats, Haruhi is just continuing her summer holiday ideas after Kyon came to the realisation at the end of the last episode.

This is literally the 10th version of this episode, the gang in summer, but I did find some enjoyment out of it. Perhaps from the change that Kyon is actually entirely aware that he needs to do his homework and is just trying to say it, making it entirely different to the usual plot. Especially funny with how melodramatic the "I haven't finished my homework" part was.

Half the episode also was dedicated to the study session, which just did not go to plan for Kyon. Well we did not have much focus on that part, especially with Asakura added in. Kyon was also a heap of fun in the episode too. Tsuruya got Mikuru to hold those melons.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5