• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Yamada-kun and the Seven Witches (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:30 am Reply with quote

Yamada-kun to 7-nin no Majo (TV)

Genres: comedy, magic, romance
Themes: body switch, delinquent, school, special abilities

Plot Summary: One day, high school boy Yamada bumps into the beautiful female honor student Shiraishi on the stairs (literally), and their lips touch as they fall. When they regain their wits, they realize that they have swapped bodies. As time progresses, the two realize that this is not the only mysterious happening in the school.
----------------------------------

Anyone seen the OVA version of this before? It came out a few months ago and was kinda funny although imo, it was more like a promotion with the way it was set up. I wasn't surprised when this got an anime adaptation because of how well the series was doing. There were some teases already so getting the official confirmation for a full TV adaptation was welcoming.

The studio is apparently LIDENFILMS and was confirmed to run only 1-cour (12 episodes) this season. While that's disappointing, I think the show could do itself some justice with its comedy context since there's a lot it can do with the premise. Definitely kinda curious to see how they will run this.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:07 pm Reply with quote
Episode 1:

That was amusing with all the spoiler[body swap tropes. As far as the episode is concerned, it did introduce the main characters, specifically the members of the Supernatural Club.]

Looks like Yamada and Shiraishi already have a bit of chemistry going on. Well...it's 1 cour so I expect a bit of rush with this. Just hope they capture the most important parts...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:51 pm Reply with quote
I always love body switching anime. Hopefully this can fill my Kokoro Connect void.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 4:13 pm Reply with quote
I went into this series blind, and was totally expecting that spoiler[Miyamura was going to turn out to be the series villain instead of one of the series' protagonists].
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:10 am Reply with quote
Episode 1

That was actually surprisingly good. I picked up that it was ecchi and expected the worst, but really this was decidedly fair. Apparently the original creator is a woman, and really I felt a bit of shoujo flare mixed in at places, and the body language was not bad.

Not the best body swap anime, but it would be quite unfair to compare this to Kokoro Connect, which I consider one of my favourites. The premise seems to say there is more to come, so I guess I am so far in.

Highlight of the episode was the spoiler[cool guy getting beaten up by the dorks], I laughed. Oh, and I did enjoy that spoiler[forced boy on boy kiss].
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:10 am Reply with quote
this is the same as Kokoro Connect, body swap is just a bait to get people to watch it.

spoiler[body swap is one of the Witches' ability.]
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:33 pm Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
this is the same as Kokoro Connect, body swap is just a bait to get people to watch it.

If they follow the manga (this is one of the few cases where I read the source material first) it gets much more involved and complicated than that.

What I like about the style of the story is its somewhat more "advanced" approach to the ramifications of the boy-girl swap. I really liked Kokomo Connect but in that area they really avoided the topic as much as they could.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:12 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
Spotlesseden wrote:

If they follow the manga (this is one of the few cases where I read the source material first) it gets much more involved and complicated than that.

What I like about the style of the story is its somewhat more "advanced" approach to the ramifications of the boy-girl swap. I really liked Kokomo Connect but in that area they really avoided the topic as much as they could.

i read the manga since i have CR. This really isn't about body swap. That's why i said it's just bait.
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 2:11 am Reply with quote
It's been a while since I've last read the manga (I got up to around the Chapters of 80 or so) but I didn't realize how much was changed until I just reread the first volume. Normally I would be discontent with changes but the changes so far hasn't been drastic enough to put me off. In fact, I welcome it since it fits in context with how the anime is going. However, it feels likes the show is progressing way too fast and that's the feeling I got prior to rereading Volume 1.

Leaving the comparisons aside, I've never been into the body swapping genre stuff but this first episode left me with a good impression. The characters are interesting and though I know ahead of time what will occur, I'm interest to see how the anime will handle the arc(s) to come. This'll probably be the only post from me in this thread to avoid spilling out spoilers, though.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 12:01 pm Reply with quote
Episode 2:

Lol, Ito. I honestly lost track the amount of spoiler[kisses in this episode. I mean, it probably already extended more than any other series this Spring Season will have at this point.]

And as for the comedy, it still retained a decent amount of that. I am worried at the pacing of this though.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 1:36 pm Reply with quote
^ This.

The only part that lost me was what Ito's beef really was. I mean really the fact that she saw those two kissing was somehow taken as a total affront to Ito's feelings enough to justify an all-out war? Like how?

It is hard not to like Shiraishi though. Not only kissable but unflappable except the slightest blush now and then.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 1:58 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
The only part that lost me was what Ito's beef really was. I mean really the fact that she saw those two kissing was somehow taken as a total affront to Ito's feelings enough to justify an all-out war? Like how?

Her love of the supernatural is genuine. She thought she found people who shared that love, but it looked like they were faking it just to use the room to make out.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Her love of the supernatural is genuine. She thought she found people who shared that love, but it looked like they were faking it just to use the room to make out.

So it would be totally unthinkable to be an honest member of the Supernatural Study Club and be involved as girlfriend/boyfriend at the same time. Right. What was I thinking.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:15 pm Reply with quote
You're expecting teenagers to be rational. Stop that.

But as she said, she noticed they weren't showing interest in it (because they weren't) so she put two and two together. It's not like she was wrong anyways.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:15 am Reply with quote
Episode 2

For a series that had the spoiler[kissing be a big deal we did get a lot of it here, and I think that it worked fairly well]. Yeah it was kind of confusing, but taking it this far feels worth while, like what I actually wanted to see could happen.

I know that this series has connections to Fairy Tail, that the creator of this was an assistant in FT, and the style seems especially close. Seeing Yamada angry reminds me in particular when you see someone in Fairy Tail do the same. Actually so far I am reminded of a fairly early episode of Fairy Tail which had body swapping.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5