• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Yamada-kun and the Seven Witches (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:10 pm Reply with quote
Episode 12

Was this really a single cour series? For some reason it feels like it has been longer, and perhaps saying that is when I see that it feels like a story that has been condensed a bit, that some payoff feels a bit off.

Well it has been an interesting ride, and I would say by far the best aspect has been the body switching. Some good work has been putting in to portraying when someone is in someone else's body. I might say that it has been the best at doing it, but Kokoro Connect is actually one of my favourite anime. I should have more to say I really can't think of much. I liked the style, its similarity and connection to Fairy Tail's was not lost on me.

I give a rating of Decent, I did not lose my time. Oh, that kisses were not the end of the world , did feel refreshing.
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 5:10 pm Reply with quote
What "cour"? Is this another weird jargon/misuse of French word?

As to the anime, I am still annoyed how characters always abuse each others' privacy, especially how lads grab lasses, their hands, and so on. Yes, it is Japanese society's conservative tradition that makes such depictions possible, but it is time to grow and not treat each other as property/inanimate objects to which you can do anything without asking. It kind of insulting, if you think about it.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 5:39 pm Reply with quote
MaxSouth wrote:
What "cour"? Is this another weird jargon/misuse of French word?

It's a commonly-used term to refer to the length of Japanese TV seasons. I'm kind of amazed that you haven't come across it before.

As to the series as a whole, while I still liked it a lot (Ryu and Urara is my favorite couple of the year so far), I have to agree with criticisms that the last third or so seemed rushed. Still, it was a fun and entertaining series that I'll almost certainly rewatch at some point.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
It's a commonly-used term to refer to the length of Japanese TV seasons. I'm kind of amazed that you haven't come across it before.

I have been reading it for a long time without knowing what it was. I divined the meaning from context, but it isn't as if it is defined anywhere. There are other terms like that. Maybe it is time for an ANN glossary?
The estimable MaxSouth wrote:
As to the anime, I am still annoyed how characters always abuse each others' privacy, especially how lads grab lasses, their hands, and so on. Yes, it is Japanese society's conservative tradition that makes such depictions possible, but it is time to grow and not treat each other as property/inanimate objects to which you can do anything without asking. It kind of insulting, if you think about it.

It is a rather remarkable aspect of this series and at least from an anime perspective very un-Japanese. At the very end there you have Yamada stumbling and turning away Shiraishi's offer/desire for a kiss! He assents only out of the "necessity" of checking the presence of her powers but then accusing her of just "wanting to." And this is the girl he fought for making his girlfriend? Dude. We need to talk.

But that part of it is very much more anime-romcom type after twelve episodes of lip-locks between just about every pair of characters you can imagine. Gender no barrier. Gender focus no barrier.

Your point is taken Maxsouth but I think much of the point of the story is about that. Perhaps Yamada and the others were striving to get rid of witch powers at the school precisely for the reasons you are complaining about.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:21 am Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
I have been reading it for a long time without knowing what it was. I divined the meaning from context, but it isn't as if it is defined anywhere. There are other terms like that. Maybe it is time for an ANN glossary?

That's what the Lexicon under the Encyclopedia tab is, and what all those green links on words (rather than names) link to.

But yes, it doesn't have that word in it and probably should. Hmmm; maybe it's not as commonly-used a term as I thought it was.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:42 pm Reply with quote
I also understood the meaning from context, but why not call it simply a "season"? It is also wrong since anime do not air based on calendar seasons, it is always shifted, but at least it is correct that one season is quarter of year, three months, twelve-thirteen weeks, twelve-thirteen episodes.

Use of word "cour" is random since it is not tied with calendar and time.
Darkmagick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:11 pm Reply with quote
MaxSouth wrote:
I also understood the meaning from context, but why not call it simply a "season"? It is also wrong since anime do not air based on calendar seasons, it is always shifted, but at least it is correct that one season is quarter of year, three months, twelve-thirteen weeks, twelve-thirteen episodes.

Use of word "cour" is random since it is not tied with calendar and time.

Actually, "cour" is a term picked up from Japanese broadcasting terminology. (They pulled it from French though, of course.)

There's no English wiki page for it, unfortunately, but here's a basic translation of the top part of the Japanese wiki page:

Quote:
A cour is a technical term used in the Japanese broadcasting industry, signifying a single fiscal quarter (3 months time).

The period of a year from January to December is split into 4 cours, which may be called the first, second, third, and fourth cour, the winter, spring, summer, and fall cour, or the January, April, July, and October cour.

Source: https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/クール

As to why not just use "season": it's used to give a bit more detail when discussing units of episodes, in an effort not to be confusing. From what I've seen, a "cour" specifically means a unit of 12-13 episodes (or sometimes even 11 or 14 if a show is noitaminA or wants to be special). A "season" typically refers to a single unit of episodes authorized and broadcast together, regardless of length.

For example, the entire, now complete Kuroko's Basketball anime is a total of 75 episodes long. But we don't say that it had 6 seasons. Because each unit of 25 episodes was aired in one go together, we say it had 3 2-cour seasons instead.

Though there's still some debate as to whether a split-cour show (i.e., a show that airs one cour, takes a season off, then airs the other cour) should be counted as one or two seasons - since normally split-cour shows are planned for both cours from the beginning. Though if the second cour gets "renamed" (like the second of Medaka Box's cours being called "Medaka Box Abnormal") then it's almost always counted as a second season.

Basically, using both "cour" and "season" is meant to cut confusion. Though it's still not perfect, because we also use "season" to refer to the entire collection of shows that start airing in January, April, July, or October.

Last edited by Darkmagick on Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:17 am; edited 2 times in total
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for your explanatory not so dark magic, Darkmagick.

Though it is unclear yet why Japanese have decided that this concept should be called "cour"; there has to be more story to this that maybe is not known widely yet.
MasterRamen

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:29 pm Reply with quote
I found that the kissing part wasn't as suspenseful as Kokoro Connect's version of switching.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5