• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NISA Anime Industry Panel

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:40 pm Reply with quote
Odd I thought all releases that have multiple courses get split into parts for DVD/BDs. Why should NISA not do what has been par for the course for years here?
NISA is a little more expensive than TRSI but NISA's licenses are for recent anime while TRSI picks up older series. I don't know for sure but I am willing to bet the license fees for older series are generally less than recent shows.
A $5-10 dollar difference when $50 is the average MSRP is in the ballpark of being affordable and that is not even taking into consideration that the MSRP is not the actual retail price.
Kid Ryan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:41 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Mitsu then explained that he understood that NIS's prices were high, but he felt justified in the amount of value they've added to the product, and that they needed to “be responsible” with their business model by not adding English dubs, which would need to be funded by their video game revenue.

This is an outrage Shocked, how dare they say that dubbing anime is a waste of their time and money Mad!
poopinnojutsu

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:47 am Reply with quote
The reason NISA has to charge so much for anime releases is that they have to license the shows from Japan. The Japanese companies could care less about the Western market, and they are extremely paranoid about reverse-importing.

Since anime prices are sky-high in Japan, and since selling at reasonable "market" prices in America would lead to japanese reverse-importing, NISA is forced by the companies they license from to sell at high prices. You are actually paying market prices for NISA anime, just the Japanese market, not American.

As for dubbing: dubbing is expensive, and it isn't remotely justified considering the low sales on the already-expensive anime releases. Dubbing only makes sense for anime that is going to be put on television in the US, or major titles that are expected to get tons of sales.

Anime really isn't very profitable in the US thanks to the Japanese paranoid about reverse-importing and the resulting unreasonable prices, which drive probably 99% of the market to torrents and fansubs. The best alternatives to downloads now are things like hulu, crunchyroll, and netflix, those kinds of services are probably the future of anime distribution in the US.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:38 am Reply with quote
poopinnojutsu wrote:
The reason NISA has to charge so much for anime releases is that they have to license the shows from Japan. The Japanese companies could care less about the Western market, and they are extremely paranoid about reverse-importing.

Since anime prices are sky-high in Japan, and since selling at reasonable "market" prices in America would lead to japanese reverse-importing, NISA is forced by the companies they license from to sell at high prices. You are actually paying market prices for NISA anime, just the Japanese market, not American.

First of all, NISA MSRPs are pretty comparable to Sentai and Funimation's, though I still hear a ton of people complaining about those as well. The Japanese don't "force" them to sell at higher prices. They do so because the anime market is extremely tiny and many of their releases will only sell a couple of thousand copies at most. Cutting the prices deeply isn't going to improve the sales volume enough to justify the low prices that some people want.

My only real issue with NISA releases is that they don't allow stores like Right Stuf to discount their product as much as Sentai, Funimation, Media Blasters, and others allow. So while I find the MSRP to be fine, I don't like the fact that I can routinely find Sentai and Funimation dubbed releases in the $35 range (new-releases), and Sentai's sub-only series can often be found for under $30. I have yet to see a NISA premium release go for under $50.

I guess it ultimately comes down to what you want. I like art boxes, but NISA's are hard to display with the rest of my series and they're aren't of the highest quality, though they are better made than the ones Funimation uses, which tend to peel over time. The art books are nice as well, but I've never looked through one of them more than once.

Also, I doubt Netflix will have much to do with the future of anime, as they seem genuinely uninterested in it. They've been cutting back their anime selection for the past year and the only recent title they've added has been Squid Girl. More than half of the Sentai and Funimation series that were once on it are gone, and nearly all of the Viz content has left.

Japan's reverse import paranoia isn't the reason why the anime market in the US isn't very large. I also think you are greatly exaggerating when you say that 99% of fans pirate their anime.

Finally, even though anime tends to sell at a higher price than domestic US series and movies, their prices don't even come close to Japanese prices. The new Full Metal Panic Bluray set will be nearly $500 when it's released there. Funi's set here is less than $50. You can't compare American and Japanese pricing in the least. However, fears of reverse importation have lead to things like locked subs on NISA, Viz, Funimation, and a couple Sentai BDs, as well as geolocking on some releases (particularly from Sentai), and most depressingly, forcing Persona 4 to be released dub-only on bluray.

Those "unreasonable prices" aren't the result of reverse import worries, if so, they would be much, much, much higher. They are simply the result of a very small market.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:56 pm Reply with quote
Please read our policy about necroposting.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3