• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Gunslinger Stratos (TV).

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:54 am Reply with quote

Gunslinger Stratos (TV)

Genres: Action, Sci-Fi
Themes:

Plot Summary: In 2115, the country known formerly as Japan has been split into two parallel worlds: the Frontier S (Stratos) Furontia S and the 17th Far East Imperial City Management District Frontier S is an outlaw universe in which freedom runs rampant, while the 17th Far East Imperial City Management District is a totalitarian universe completely bereft of freedom and is under constant surveillance. When the two universes is starting to fuse into one, the government of each worlds initiates the Operation Stratos, a world-scale protocol wherein a handpicked group of gunslingers, mercenaries, and special individuals, each from the two universes, will be sent in the year 2015 to alter the past by eliminating the other side until only one group survives, erasing a parallel universe in the process.
----------------------------------

Well I saw some game footage of this recently and it looks pretty fun with a thought provoking premise. It's apparently the director (Shinpei Ezaki) debut in this role so kinda curious to see how it will be done. I took a glance at the official anime site as well and imo looks pretty impressive judging by the context and visuals.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 12:31 pm Reply with quote
Episode 1:

Eh, I hope the series explains itself better soon in particular the ending. Tspoiler[here are 2 Tohru? Apparently, the main male protagonist has some sort of clone. And not only that but it looks like some other complicated affairs are in the city.]

OP song is decent but the setting and themes are generic. I don't like Tohru much either with his personality and..skills so far. spoiler[(Rank D)]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 3:45 pm Reply with quote
Crime scene first thing in the morning..
Such a "nice" way to start a day.
Kazasumi - a classic underdog.
The action part was fun to watch.
Mystery level was just right to get me interested.
Will give it a few more episodes before I decide.
Justaway

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 4:13 pm Reply with quote
OK, they got me. I was 100% certain the guy from the opening would be the protagonist's brother. Be it older or twin. Maybe that's what I get for not reading any synopses beforehand.

My scale hasn't really tipped either way after the 1st episode, though.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:39 pm Reply with quote
I'm not blown away, but I am somewhat intrigued. Certainly enough to stick around for a bit.
Yttrbio
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:57 pm Reply with quote
An interesting (in a bad way) approach to the awkward "as you already know" exposition. They have teacher lady explain something everyone clearly already knows, and then asks one of them to explain further, which then gets interrupted with main character's internal monologue doing the explanation. Why not just have the internal monologue and avoid the idiotic scene?
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:48 pm Reply with quote
Not as confusing as BlazBlue, but I hope this doesn't remain this obtuse about explaining what's going on, or this clumsy when it does.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:46 am Reply with quote
Episode 1

Not a bad first episode, but there seems to be so much dimension distortion, or something, in a world we just got a peek into that it is hard to get some bearings. I liked how it looked so I plan to watch more.
Yamstarch

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:48 am Reply with quote
I have no idea what's going on. Never played the game. I hope more is explained in Ep. 2 (I expect it to be). Seems intriguing though at least. Plus pink haired girls are awesome.
Wrangler

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:51 am Reply with quote
War to prevent two universes to collide? Well, this was originally a video game. Hopefully a good story will come out of this, weird concept.

Usually parallel worlds usually stay apart and co-exist despite having alternate futures.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 1:08 pm Reply with quote
Episode 2:

Still got mixed thoughts on this. spoiler[The world fiction has a lot of potential but I'm just not interested in the characters so far. Looks like Tohru picks up a gun at the end of this episode so I guess he's made his decision. The future still remains uncertain though.]
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 3:44 pm Reply with quote
A spoiler[fragment of Tohru's past] coming to light.
The present situation was no joke.
On top ofspoiler[ degradation, they have to fight their other selves..
They even have a freaking time machine]
?! Damn!
Time to join and fight!
Gonna give it another episode before final decision.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 12:33 pm Reply with quote
Episode 3:

So this show spoiler[wasn't kidding around when they did mention about killing off a character. I don't feel much for her though since the characterization in this series has been fairly weak so far.]
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:38 am Reply with quote
Episode 3

We were only getting hints earlier that the spoiler[little one had an abnormal backstory or something, but now we had her suddenly killed]. Was there the implication that her spoiler[alternate world version was a guy]?

I think that I came up with an anime to compare this to, I think of M3 where they are trying to be a bit dark, sneak in usual aspects, and kind of fails at making the characters really that likable to follow. Although it has so far been less brooding.
Yttrbio
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 5:58 pm Reply with quote
Episode 4:

It's weird that, 100 years in the future, spoiler[flash bangs still look exactly the same, but now have the explosive force to kill a man shielded with hand-wavy time magic.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2