• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Aniplex USA Adds Madoka Magica, Blue Exorcist on Home Video

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 3:04 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
MAAAAAAAAAAAAAAADOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOKAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

YESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYES

FRICK YES!

Dub, sub-only, DVD, BD - Just put it up for preorder Aniplex, and you got a purchase.

(although a dubbed BD would be much preferred)

Took the gleeful words right outta my mouth, mate.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:13 pm Reply with quote
@ShanaFan852
Got the first three volumes of the Japanese Blu-Ray’s of Madoka Magica. With shipping and handling, it comes about 90 USD for each two episode volume. These are my first Japanese Blu-Rays, and they are fantastic looking. Even trying to keep the disposable paper spine cover.
Yes, it is expensive. But for this series it is worth it. Which is really the point. As with the Garden of Sinners, those who love Madoka Magica will pay the price.

@Takeyo
Hopefully, since the Japanese BD release is almost at the half way point, and the amazing sales they are getting for the BD releases, fears of reverse importation will probably not be that bad since any American release will probably happen after the completion of the Japanese BD release.
SaharaFrost

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:26 pm Reply with quote
You know...I'm not one for fangirl squeals...but since you have been so kind as to bring us Madoka...please feel free to hear this with the most annoying, highest pitched scream you can imagine:

ARIGATOU GOZAIMASUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:24 pm Reply with quote
If Madoka will be made available on BD with Japanese audio and English subtles, I guarentee you will have at least 1 more customer.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 12:14 am Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:

@Takeyo
Hopefully, since the Japanese BD release is almost at the half way point, and the amazing sales they are getting for the BD releases, fears of reverse importation will probably not be that bad since any American release will probably happen after the completion of the Japanese BD release.

Plus, 90% of Madoka Magica's BD sales happen in the first week, so those who would buy it would've already bought it then. They're not the type who could wait. So in just a few weeks, reverse importation is not an issue for it.
Takeyo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:27 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
TarsTarkas wrote:
@Takeyo

Plus, 90% of Madoka Magica's BD sales happen in the first week, so those who would buy it would've already bought it then. They're not the type who could wait. So in just a few weeks, reverse importation is not an issue for it.

I don't mean to imply that the fears of reverse importation are well-founded, just that I think they're still an issue for Japanese license holders. Many of our recent releases have been gimped in one way or another, including being denied a local BD release. Those Durarara!! DVD sets on my shelf (the first of which, admittedly, was released a month before the final Japanese BD) suggest that Aniplex might not be interested in putting relatively cheaper BDs into the market right away. If I'm wrong, great! I know I'd be more likely to buy Madoka if I can get it in HD. But, given recent history, I just don't think anyone should get their hopes up too much.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:42 am Reply with quote
Here's my question about this reverse importation thing: If Aniplex is using exclusively Rightstuf and Bandai, can't they just go, "Hey, guys, don't ship to Japanese addresses"? I could understand not being able to do this with someone like Amazon or DeepDiscount that are huge retailers, but TRSI and the Bandai Store are specialized anime/manga/merchandise sites that clearly have a tight bond with Aniplex, so wouldn't it be possible to block Japanese addresses? Heck, does Bandai even ship out of North America?

Japanese fans will still find someway to get a few copies, but
1) Those guys aren't buying the Japanese version anyways like Enurtsol said, and

2) The number would be minuscule and irrelevant as far as "hurting Japanese sales".
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shiney

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:06 am Reply with quote
Takeyo wrote:
Those Durarara!! DVD sets on my shelf (the first of which, admittedly, was released a month before the final Japanese BD) suggest that Aniplex might not be interested in putting relatively cheaper BDs into the market right away. If I'm wrong, great!

There was never a Durarara!! Blu-ray release in Japan to begin with ...so yes you are wrong.
Takeyo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:33 am Reply with quote
Shiney wrote:
Takeyo wrote:
Those Durarara!! DVD sets on my shelf (the first of which, admittedly, was released a month before the final Japanese BD) suggest that Aniplex might not be interested in putting relatively cheaper BDs into the market right away. If I'm wrong, great!

There was never a Durarara!! Blu-ray release in Japan to begin with ...so yes you are wrong.

Well, gee, if you want to look at it like that, then that only strengthens my position: In that case North American BDs wouldn't even be competing with higher cost Japanese releases. Which, by your apparently binary world view and misinterpretation of my previous statement, would make me, um, absolutely, unequivocally right? Rolling Eyes

Again, at this point, we're all just speculating.

@KoH:
I know some companies in other industries have tried to clamp down on who distributes what and fix international prices through legitimate distributors. I'm not sure how effective it's been for them. Wasn't there just some issue here in the U.S. with CostCo and Omega watches?
marshmallowpie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:30 pm Reply with quote
I've been buying the R2 DVDs of Madoka... I don't really want to double dip (and I bet it would be hard to find someone who'd take the first three volumes off my hands), but if there's an English dub...
LauraOrganaSolo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:55 am Reply with quote
I can't believe some people are saying they won't buy a DVD of an outstanding and universally lauded series if it doesn't have a dub.

What is wrong with you people? It's JUST an ALTERNATE language track for pete's sake. It's like saying "I refuse to buy this manga until it is released left-to-right and all rice balls are airbrushed out and replaced with donuts."

What the hell did you do back when you could only choose one before DVDs and VHS boxed sets cost $200?
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:08 am Reply with quote
LauraOrganaSolo wrote:
I can't believe some people are saying they won't buy a DVD of an outstanding and universally lauded series if it doesn't have a dub.

What is wrong with you people? It's JUST an ALTERNATE language track for pete's sake. It's like saying "I refuse to buy this manga until it is released left-to-right and all rice balls are airbrushed out and replaced with donuts."

What the hell did you do back when you could only choose one before DVDs and VHS boxed sets cost $200?

Don't start an argument with THEM. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with their experience.

Just be happpy is was licensed... it could NOT have been cheap.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:22 am Reply with quote
LauraOrganaSolo wrote:

Whaddaymean choose one? We bought both! Laughing
Sanosuke_Inara

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:48 am Reply with quote
Even though I'm definitely a dub guy, since I've never seen Madoka Magica, I really don't give much of a damn if it has a dub or not--either way, I'm gonna get it. I'm actually really interested in it, even though I'm not usually into magical girl shows.

From what I've heard, though, it turns that genre on its ear.
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:53 am Reply with quote
LauraOrganaSolo wrote:

Some of us want to understand what we're seeing without having to read. And it's a nice way to lend it out to friends without them having to feel awkward about having to read subtitles all the time just to watch something.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9