• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Aniplex USA Adds Madoka Magica, Blue Exorcist on Home Video

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:10 pm Reply with quote
mglittlerobin wrote:
LauraOrganaSolo wrote:
I can't believe some people are saying they won't buy a DVD of an outstanding and universally lauded series if it doesn't have a dub.

What is wrong with you people? It's JUST an ALTERNATE language track for pete's sake. It's like saying "I refuse to buy this manga until it is released left-to-right and all rice balls are airbrushed out and replaced with donuts."

What the hell did you do back when you could only choose one before DVDs and VHS boxed sets cost $200?

Some of us want to understand what we're seeing without having to read. And it's a nice way to lend it out to friends without them having to feel awkward about having to read subtitles all the time just to watch something.

Hmmm, I have lent out my copies of City of God and Gintama 1 to friends and none of them have complained about feeling awkward reading subs. If your friends just want to watch something they could just turn on the TV but if they want to watch a specific foreign show they are not entitled to a dub 100% of the time.
Veers

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:15 pm Reply with quote
It's interesting to see so many people who didn't watch the fansubs expressing excitement at the license news. Very Happy I think you guys (and girls) in for a treat, dub or no.

While a dub would be nice, if for no other reason than to make it accessible to people who avoid watching foreign language audio, and I would give the dub a shot if it had one, personally I really like the Japanese voice work, have the (translation of the) dialog darn near memorized from working on subtitling it, and am content to rewatch the show in Japanese, so I will buy an NA BD release regardless of a dub.
Vapors

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:31 pm Reply with quote
I'm curious to see how they release Madoka here in the states. Would they go to a singles release (like Bandai is doing with K-on) or would they do a complete series release? Considering that they are making a concerted effort to target the collector demographic, I'm tempted to say I forsee them making a complete collection BD release with a very limited run (like the Baccano BD release). Its tough to say, considering that they are still new to the anime field here and there isn't a whole lot to go off them as far how they do things.

Regardless, I was extremely happy when this was announced (yes, even though it was forecast weeks ago thanks to them setting up the website). I plan on buying this regardless of how its released (even if it is a Garden of Sinners type style, though I doubt that will happen).
LagannImpact

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:25 am Reply with quote
grooveygirl wrote:
FireChick wrote:
One question: what's this about Blue Exorcist not having a dub? Where does it say "sub only" anywhere? I don't see anything like that!

Here's the link where it is stated that Blue Exorcist is a sub only release: http://www.fandompost.com/2011/07/01/aniplex-usa-sets-blue-exorcist-and-puella-magi-madoka-magica-licenses/

The only evidence I can see that Blue Exorcist won't get a dub is the fact that they used a subtitled trailer. But if there is a hybrid release, wouldn't that also come as part of the package? Now October is really soon for a dub, but also suspiciously slow for a subtitled-only release, considering the source material has been out since April and May. And if there really WILL in fact be a dub, isn't it also reasonable, given that the first volume would only contain 6 or 7 episodes, that they would be ready by October, yet there just aren't enough samples for a dubbed trailer at this time? We really don't know the depth of the genius at Aniplex of America. Maybe they're just waiting to see if Durarara!! on [as] is a big hit...

Last edited by LagannImpact on Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:47 am Reply with quote
LagannImpact wrote:
grooveygirl wrote:
FireChick wrote:
One question: what's this about Blue Exorcist not having a dub? Where does it say "sub only" anywhere? I don't see anything like that!

Here's the link where it is stated that Blue Exorcist is a sub only release: http://www.fandompost.com/2011/07/01/aniplex-usa-sets-blue-exorcist-and-puella-magi-madoka-magica-licenses/

Yeah, cause that's totally a reputable site and everything. Even more so than here. [/sarcasm]

Well, the sight hasn't really existed long enough to have much of a reputation, good or bad, but I think it's main founder is fairly reputable. Then again, something says you were a lot more concerned about being insulting than you were concerned about pesky things like fact.
LagannImpact

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:53 am Reply with quote
Mad_Scientist wrote:
LagannImpact wrote:
grooveygirl wrote:
FireChick wrote:

Yeah, cause that's totally a reputable site and everything. Even more so than here. [/sarcasm]

Well, the sight hasn't really existed long enough to have much of a reputation, good or bad, but I think it's main founder is fairly reputable. Then again, something says you were a lot more concerned about being insulting than you were concerned about pesky things like fact.

Well ok, perhaps I stand corrected, but I assure you if they had said, straight up at AX "Blue Exorcist's release will be subtitled-only", then ANN would have reported on it as such. They reported what they did, which just leads me to believe that site is jumping to conclusions. As far as I could see, there is no update on any ANN article that the release will definitely be sub-only.

But then again, I could be wrong. Also, I expanded on my original post, making it less of just an insult and more of an attempt at analytical deductive reasoning.
The Coffee God

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:56 am Reply with quote
LagannImpact wrote:

Yeah, cause that's totally a reputable site and everything. Even more so than here. Rolling Eyes
[/sarcasm]

The only evidence I can see that Blue Exorcist won't get a dub is the fact that they used a subtitled trailer. But if there is a hybrid release, wouldn't that also come as part of the package? Now October is really soon for a dub, but also suspiciously slow for a subtitled-only release, considering the source material has been out since April and May. And if there really WILL in fact be a dub, isn't it also reasonable, given that the first volume would only contain 6 or 7 episodes, that they would be ready by October, yet there just aren't enough samples for a dubbed trailer at this time? We really don't know the depth of the genius at Aniplex of America. Maybe they're just waiting to see if Durarara!! on [as] is a big hit...

I'll leave the top part alone since you obviously have no clue who started up that site.

As for Blue Exorcist, it was stated at the panel during the Q&A

15:10:59 <bay> Q: Exorcist and Madoka dubbed?
15:11:06 <bay> A: Blue Exorcist will be subtitled only...
15:11:15 <bay> Madoka hasn't' been decided yet.
LagannImpact

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:58 am Reply with quote
Very well. I do stand corrected. But it does beg the question as to why ANN woudn't also add such vital information to their own articles. Still, forgive me for being skeptical.

Quite frankly, Aniplex's decision to release on DVD only what they were giving away for free on ANN seems asinine. It worked with the Gurren Lagann movies because there wasn't any legal streaming for them. But this series had such potential to be something more and quite frankly I'm dumbfounded at this decision. Maybe if this was 2005 this definitely would have gotten a dub.

Last edited by LagannImpact on Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:58 am Reply with quote
LagannImpact wrote:

Well ok, perhaps I stand corrected, but I assure you if they had said, straight up at AX "Blue Exorcist's release will be subtitled-only", then ANN would have reported on it as such. They reported what they did, which just leads me to believe that site is jumping to conclusions. As far as I could see, there is no update on any ANN article that the release will definitely be sub-only.

But then again, I could be wrong. Also, I expanded on my original post, making it less of just an insult and more of an attempt at analytical deductive reasoning.

Perhaps I was a bit too hostile myself, but I was fairly certain that I had read about Blue Exocist being sub-only at ANN itself (I had never seen the Fandom Post article till just now) and thought you were trying to insult ANN as well maybe, based on the tone of your original post.

Trying to figure out where I had first read it was sub-only now...
LagannImpact

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:07 am Reply with quote
Insult ANN?? Never! But I removed the insulting part completely from my post because that other site really does seem to be somewhat reputable.

Although my hopes are pretty much crushed at the words of the Coffee God, I remain cautiously optimistic that things will change by the next big major con. Or maybe the hybrid release will be coming later than this October, although why they would even bother with a sub-only release at all if there was eventually going to be a hybrid release (a la Gurren Lagann) is beyond me.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:59 am Reply with quote
To all the "shut up dub lovers!" posting: What is so wrong with wanting a dub?

Seriously. What is so wrong with wanting an English dub. Don't talk about the economics or the "some shows/companies can't afford it" crap. Just tell me what is inherently wrong about wanting a dub because some of you people are REALLY hardcore about how WRONG it is for people who prefer and like English dubs to want them.

I'll make all of you sub-lovers a deal though. PM me. I'll give you my mailing address. You can buy a copy of any sub-only release you think is awesome and send it to me. After that, I will never complain about that show lacking a dub.

As long as I'm the one who has to buy it, I think I'll continue to want the release to include the features that are, for me, important.

I mean, how many of you are buying this or any other series subless? Subs are important to you right? Well, an English dub is important to me and as long as I'm paying for things, then I see no reason to buy a release that doesn't include the features that are important to me.

I speak for myself and not all English dub fans but I doubt many of them would disagree with my perspective.

If any of you sub fans do decide to buy a copy of a sub-only series for me or any other dub prefering fan, you get the satisfaction of supporting the show you like twice and shutting up a fellow fan, which seems to be your main purpose given the insulting and condescening posts you guys love to make every time anyone so much as wishes there were an English dub.

Until someone mails me a copy of Madoka or Blue Exorcist or any other sub-only series though, I for one will continue to hope for and ask for an English dub. (Hey, MB decided to listen and they got my money!)
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:32 am Reply with quote
Quote:
To all the "shut up dub lovers!" posting: What is so wrong with wanting a dub?

Seriously. What is so wrong with wanting an English dub

I think it has to do with the fact that when they encode the Japanese audio then only use 2.0 true hd for bluray and when they use dub/english voice overs they use 5.1 true hd which is a higher quailty.. other than that I don't really know. I don't have a problem a with dubs as long as the va's actually act or put their hear into it. They don't need to sound like cardboard cut outs with "oh look at that" monotone voice... for the characters.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:12 pm Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:

I think it has to do with the fact that when they encode the Japanese audio then only use 2.0 true hd for bluray and when they use dub/english voice overs they use 5.1 true hd which is a higher quailty.

5.1 is neither higher nor lower quality than 2.0 audio. Just about all TV anime is still done with stereo audio. Most of the time there is no 5.1 JP audio. You want 5.1, have your receiver fake it, because it's no better than you'd get if a licensor fakes it for you.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:38 pm Reply with quote
hissatsu01 wrote:
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:

I think it has to do with the fact that when they encode the Japanese audio then only use 2.0 true hd for bluray and when they use dub/english voice overs they use 5.1 true hd which is a higher quailty.

5.1 is neither higher nor lower quality than 2.0 audio. Just about all TV anime is still done with stereo audio. Most of the time there is no 5.1 JP audio. You want 5.1, have your receiver fake it, because it's no better than you'd get if a licensor fakes it for you.

I am just pointing out complaints that I hear all the time, to be honest I really can't tell that much of an audio difference from them either but .flac encoding is something completely different and way off subject.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9