• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Aniplex USA Adds Madoka Magica, Blue Exorcist on Home Video

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Veers

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:40 pm Reply with quote
Awesome, great to hear Madoka's been licensed!

My body is ready.

Animerican14 wrote:
tuxedocat wrote:
I'm a little disappointed, given that I am not really a fan of "magical girl" shows (I think Princess Tutu and Utena are the only ones in my collection. That is, if those two shows can truly be called "magical girl" shows).

Huh, it's interesting that you say that, because if you've seen the series beond the first 2 or 3 episodes, then you probably wouldn't consider Madoka Magica a "magical girl show" either Smile. User Veers isn't into magical girls shows himself, with only Princes Tutu and Madoka Magica strongly[/i] appealing to him. I think he used an analogy that showed that if he were escaping from a sinking ship whose passengers were the personification of every magical girl show ever made, and had room for only two more in his lifeboat, he would take Princess Tutu and Madoka Magica.

[Having gotten into Princess Tutu via Hulu and just finished episode 6, I think I can agree with him as well.)
I did indeed say that. Tutu and Madoka aren't the same thing, so I can't really say "if you liked one, you'll like the other" but if you liked Tutu for its dark, dramatic, tragic, courageous, mildly-meta story, that does an excellent job of taking advantage of its medium, chances are good you'll enjoy Madoka.
Finny-chan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:49 pm Reply with quote
DangerMouse wrote:
mglittlerobin wrote:
tenebrusmke79 wrote:
The King of Harts wrote:
Anime Remix wrote:
ikillchicken wrote:
Uh oh guys, this Blue Exorcist show seems like it might have some mainstream appeal. We better nip that in the bud by releasing it across four individual DVDs!
I wonder how many episodes will be on the DVDs... Confused

I'd guess 7/6/6/6. That seems like a tight fit and a little odd for a Japanese company to cram so many episodes on a DVD and risk poor video quality.

I liked Blue Excorcist, but I'll just keep with the Premium video being offered here on ANN. A dub could change that, though.
Unfortunately, a dub won't happen for Blue Exorcist. Aniplex said that they're releasing the series subtitle-only.

I'm not going to be buying Blue Exorcist if it's a sub only. I like having the option of a dub, I'm watching it subbed already and I don't mind the commercials, since there's no dub, I don't really want to buy it without that option. I'm perfectly fine with legal streaming.

Agreed, also shows like Blue Exorcist are just really fun to re-watch with a dub, just like both Fullmetals, Bleach, etc.. I really hope it ends up getting a Blu-ray and a dub if they get enough outcry from a huge show of that level not getting a dub (and a bd) to reach a wider audience (like all of those types of shows have in the US) otherwise I would have much rather Funimation get it as we'd be assured both for a title of this level, this is not some small market or niche show.

If the report is accurate and they really specified only subtitle DVD and no blu-ray or dub release that's just ridiculously disappointing for a huge show like Blue Exorcist to me (I can't even believe we're not getting a Blu-ray for a show that looks this good visually Sad)...I'll wait for a second confirmation but that's just Bandai Visual level bad, Aniplex is just getting worse and worse after starting out pretty promising and after getting my hopes up with their big casting spree for the Durarara dub...I really thought they were going to "get" the US market (even if they had to sub-only certain niche shows)...

Maybe they will go back and dub it if we bug them enough? I don't know why the hell they just didn't wait until after the series was over and then dub it instead of rushing it onto dvd subbed. No buy for me.
grooveygirl

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:10 pm Reply with quote
Was excited about Blue Exorcist getting licensed til I saw the sub-only. I'm already watching it subbed through Cruchyroll. Why pay for it when I can watch it for free there?
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:12 pm Reply with quote
Finny-chan wrote:
DangerMouse wrote:
mglittlerobin wrote:
tenebrusmke79 wrote:
The King of Harts wrote:
Anime Remix wrote:
ikillchicken wrote:
Uh oh guys, this Blue Exorcist show seems like it might have some mainstream appeal. We better nip that in the bud by releasing it across four individual DVDs!
I wonder how many episodes will be on the DVDs... Confused

I'd guess 7/6/6/6. That seems like a tight fit and a little odd for a Japanese company to cram so many episodes on a DVD and risk poor video quality.

I liked Blue Excorcist, but I'll just keep with the Premium video being offered here on ANN. A dub could change that, though.
Unfortunately, a dub won't happen for Blue Exorcist. Aniplex said that they're releasing the series subtitle-only.

I'm not going to be buying Blue Exorcist if it's a sub only. I like having the option of a dub, I'm watching it subbed already and I don't mind the commercials, since there's no dub, I don't really want to buy it without that option. I'm perfectly fine with legal streaming.

Agreed, also shows like Blue Exorcist are just really fun to re-watch with a dub, just like both Fullmetals, Bleach, etc.. I really hope it ends up getting a Blu-ray and a dub if they get enough outcry from a huge show of that level not getting a dub (and a bd) to reach a wider audience (like all of those types of shows have in the US) otherwise I would have much rather Funimation get it as we'd be assured both for a title of this level, this is not some small market or niche show.

If the report is accurate and they really specified only subtitle DVD and no blu-ray or dub release that's just ridiculously disappointing for a huge show like Blue Exorcist to me (I can't even believe we're not getting a Blu-ray for a show that looks this good visually Sad)...I'll wait for a second confirmation but that's just Bandai Visual level bad, Aniplex is just getting worse and worse after starting out pretty promising and after getting my hopes up with their big casting spree for the Durarara dub...I really thought they were going to "get" the US market (even if they had to sub-only certain niche shows)...

Maybe they will go back and dub it if we bug them enough? I don't know why the hell they just didn't wait until after the series was over and then dub it instead of rushing it onto dvd subbed. No buy for me.

I hope so, I get that some niche shows can't get them for expense reasons but this has got to be one of the first times that I'm just completely baffled that such a huge show (it's not important but hasn't it's manga even been #1 in sales in the US already I think) isn't getting one, it'd be like something like Fullmetal never having had the chance to hit the non-sub audience and break out into an even bigger hit IMO.

Man did I expect better from them... Sad

Last edited by DangerMouse on Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:19 pm Reply with quote
grooveygirl wrote:
Was excited about Blue Exorcist getting licensed til I saw the sub-only. I'm already watching it subbed through Cruchyroll. Why pay for it when I can watch it for free there?

To collect physical copies of what you enjoyed for free in order to say thanks in a monetary way. Collecting and buying releases are all optional but those are general reasons why people buy releases even after having seen them free elsewhere.
Cryssoberyl

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:24 pm Reply with quote
Definitely want Madoka Blu-rays.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:28 pm Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
grooveygirl wrote:

To collect physical copies of what you enjoyed for free in order to say thanks in a monetary way. Collecting and buying releases are all optional but those are general reasons why people buy releases even after having seen them free elsewhere.

I'd agree but how about they do what even dub-conservative R1's like Sentai would do with a new show this "big" and at least provide a dub and preferably a blu-ray for something on the level of Blue Exorcist, like they have with equally big/hotly sought after new titles like HOTD and Xam'd (and are even doing with lesser shows like Night Raid) and only sub-only shows when they are niche or they predict there's no choice (Garden of Sinners maybe), which there's no way someone would predict for something like Blue Exorcist.
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:37 pm Reply with quote
Well this isn't all that surprising. It was hinted they already had it.

I wonder how the people who imported a few of those 2 episode singles feel since those were ridiculously overpriced.

Anyway, definitely looking forward to seeing this next year (That's probably when it'll be released.). I have yet to watch it (I refuse to watch fansubs these days.). I'll finally see what the massive hype is about.

Now then, when will they get Bakemonogatari (Haven't seen that either, but lots of people want it licensed.) which if I remember right they were negotiating for it. It's popularity rivals Madoka, and is really expensive to license as well.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:52 pm Reply with quote
I think I was only providing reasons why people would and do by releases like Blue Exorcist after seeing it for free.

Sentai didn't dub anything at first but gradually got into dubbing some shows right off the bat.
Aniplex USA is not Sentai. They may not be equally able or willing to dub more than a few shows immediately. Ever show you mention has circumstances around it that are different from Blue Exorcist. For example Xam'd is completed and had time on PSN to prove interest was there for a physical release with a dub. Blue Exorcist hasn't even completed a half-season and is not confirmed to continue past episode 12 yet. So yeah. The jury is still out on BE regardless of your infatuation.
kaizoku00

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:03 pm Reply with quote
YES! Been waiting for Madoka Magica! Blue Excorcist is ok and I might buy it up, but Madoka is the obvious Must Own here for me.
Saturn

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:06 pm Reply with quote
tenebrusmke79 wrote:

really? That seems like a *colossal* mistake. Blue Exorcist could be the next Fullmetal Alchemist in the States if they played their cards right. Which I guess they're not going to try.

Anyway, yay for both of these series. I want them both, but considering how expensive they're likely to be, I'll probably have to choose just one ~_~
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:43 pm Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
I think I was only providing reasons why people would and do by releases like Blue Exorcist after seeing it for free.

Sentai didn't dub anything at first but gradually got into dubbing some shows right off the bat.
Aniplex USA is not Sentai. They may not be equally able or willing to dub more than a few shows immediately. Ever show you mention has circumstances around it that are different from Blue Exorcist. For example Xam'd is completed and had time on PSN to prove interest was there for a physical release with a dub. Blue Exorcist hasn't even completed a half-season and is not confirmed to continue past episode 12 yet. So yeah. The jury is still out on BE regardless of your infatuation.

I can agree with that then as one of many reasons.

Huh, even if I didn't like it it doesn't change that Blue Exorcist is a big show, my point is the same as Saturn's.

Last edited by DangerMouse on Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:01 pm; edited 3 times in total
Sanosuke_Inara

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:52 pm Reply with quote
I think it's pretty funny that, despite the fact that it's a pretty damn popular show and a big license for them, Aniplex has already managed to spell Madoka Magica wrong twice: once on the teaser site(Magina, instead of Magica), and the other on their homepage(Modoka, instead of Madoka).

Keep fightin' the good fight, guyz. Laughing
Kohii

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:57 pm Reply with quote
Madoka!!!!

Although AofA is gonna ask an arm and a leg for it and guess what, people will pony up for their beloved mahou shoujo.
Renaisance Otaku

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:01 pm Reply with quote
Had to happen eventually with Madoka. Here's hoping it gets a BD release. Timed with Rightstuf's rescue of The Dirty Pair and Nadesico, and this is a good day.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9