• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Eccentric Family Sub.Blu-Ray

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MangaRocks!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:36 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
This show bothered me because of its premise. If a magical tanuki is captured by humans, he is supposed to just accept it and let himself be eaten, even though he could escape with minimal effort. What the hell?

Actually, it was rather pointedly shown that almost every tanuki instantly reverts back to their (basically-powerless) animal form when startled or scared (and all it takes is a second of distraction for a human to catch a startled animal), and further that they can't control their transformations when they're not in the right state of mind to do so; also, it was outright stated that most of them instantly revert/can't transform around Benten regardless. And who was shown to be in the room with spoiler[their drunk, captured father?] You guessed it, Benten.

Really the only tanuki able to break this rule was spoiler[Yasaburo], because of his innate personality.
ATastySub
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:54 pm Reply with quote
Man am I jealous of your ability to put your thoughts into words on this one. Absolutely love the show, and you spell out the reasons why far better than I could hope to.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:55 pm Reply with quote
That's exactly the point that bothered me. They have a way to escape, but can't use it if they are afraid. And they are afraid because they can't escape. Why the heck are they still afraid when they know they could escape if they stopped BEING afraid?

Also, Benten wasn't there ALL the time, and the tanuki just has to shrink to get out of the cage. It was way too forced.
phia_one

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:37 pm Reply with quote
I pretty much agree word for word with the review. This series was just so easy to love. It's also the my favorite PA Works series.
lizardking461

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:07 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
That's exactly the point that bothered me. They have a way to escape, but can't use it if they are afraid. And they are afraid because they can't escape. Why the heck are they still afraid when they know they could escape if they stopped BEING afraid?

Also, Benten wasn't there ALL the time, and the tanuki just has to shrink to get out of the cage. It was way too forced.

You don't really get that emotions are illogical, do you?
kotomikun

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:45 am Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
Why the heck are they still afraid when they know they could escape if they stopped BEING afraid?

This is a common sort of thing that people say about real-life situations. "Why are you so shy? Be more social!" "Why are you so upset? Calm down!" It rarely works, because most people can't just flip their emotions on and off whenever they want to. But when you're not the one experiencing the feeling, it's surprisingly easy to think that they should be able to just turn it off.

I think this was even discussed in the show, but I don't remember the details.
StevefromManagement

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:36 am Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
This show bothered me because of its premise. If a magical tanuki is captured by humans, he is supposed to just accept it and let himself be eaten, even though he could escape with minimal effort. What the hell?
The show regularly demonstrates that under severe stress or duress, the tanuki lose the necessary composure to hold their transformations, as seen in the final episode where everyone untransforms after seeing Benten, or how the youngest brother continually lets his tail pop out because of his nervousness. Also, the show demonstrates that the tanuki need a specific referential object to transform into (like when Yasaburo hides from Benten by transforming into one of those red head things on the table). If they're stuck in a cage, the only way they'd be able to escape is if a mouse scurries by that they can imitate.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2