• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Right Stuf Inc. & Nozomi Entertainment Industry Panel

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Moonsaber

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:06 am Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:

Moonsaber wrote:
I replaced my original Nadesico DVDs with the most recent thinpak box set that has MUCH better subtitle fonts then the original release that literally filled the screen with huge blocky subs on a consistant basis. Lots of dialog in the show, and ADV was critisized on it's sub fonts widely at the time.

The hard subbed overlays of on-screen text were more of an issue and stuck out like a sore thumb against the grain of the video.

Quote:
I would be very interested to see a Blu Ray release of Nadesico with pretty blu ray subs. The English track, by the way, was never that bad, but you HAVE to hear Ruri Ruri in Japanese at least once, in my opinion.

Nozomi still aren't doing bluray. Personally, as soon as Ruri started talking I switched to the Japanese track and never switched back.

I remember the overlay issue too, but from my perspective the subtitle issue was worse. I was spoiled by the VHS subtitle release before I saw the DVDs, the commercial VHS subs were very pretty and well done. The DVD subs were a horrible shock, and I hated myself for getting rid of my VHS of Nadesico.

And I agree, unless I have someone that is really big on dubs, the Japanese audio on Nadesico is the best one for me.

Too bad TRSI/Nozomi don't do BD, but their DVD releases are nice.
Takeyo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:41 am Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
Did anyone ask them about the prospects of blu-ray releases?

Looks like:
Quote:
14:26:42 <bay> Q: Blu-ray? A; right now, no plans
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:12 am Reply with quote
I remember Shawne talking about how BD just didn't move enough to be viable, but I have to question that. I did some searching on Amazon and I found that

High School of the Dead BD Rank: 75
DVD Rank: 184

Eden of the East BD: 760
DVD: 14,655

Evangelion 2.22 BD: 105
DVD: 688

Samurai Girls BD: 1,742
DVD: 9,165

It seems to me that BD is moving A LOT better than DVD, so I don't know how much longer Shawne can say that. It's one thing to put Dirty Pair on just DVD, but to release the remaster for Nadesico that was MADE FOR BLU RAY just pisses me off.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Takeyo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:36 am Reply with quote
Hopefully, the next time Shawne pays a visit to the ANNcast, Zac can ask him for a BD market update.
bravetailor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:57 am Reply with quote
Unfortunately, amazon is not a reflection of the real world, much like the internet in general. Going by the number of internet sites devoted to anime, you'd think this was a multi billion dollar industry. Of course, we all know what's the reality of that thinking. Laughing
Moonsaber

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:30 pm Reply with quote
bravetailor wrote:
Unfortunately, amazon is not a reflection of the real world, much like the internet in general. Going by the number of internet sites devoted to anime, you'd think this was a multi billion dollar industry. Of course, we all know what's the reality of that thinking. Laughing

No kidding. Truly, I am humbly thankful there is enough profit left for a company like RightStuf to still survive. I've given up trying to buy my anime from much of anywhere else but from them, partly to show them support, partly because they have very competitive prices, and are producing it as well.

It's become a niche market again on us.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:37 pm Reply with quote
bravetailor wrote:
Unfortunately, amazon is not a reflection of the real world, much like the internet in general.

How can you say with a straight face that the number one online retailer in the world is not a good measuring stick for how well something is selling?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:36 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
I remember Shawne talking about how BD just didn't move enough to be viable, but I have to question that. I did some searching on Amazon and I found that

The rankings may not tell the whole story though. Particularly absolute numbers. A lot more stuff are sold in DVDs than in Bluray. DVD rankings are a lot more competitive.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:10 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
The King of Harts wrote:

The rankings may not tell the whole story though. Particularly absolute numbers. A lot more stuff are sold in DVDs than in Bluray. DVD rankings are a lot more competitive.

They're being ranked by the same thing (Amazon Bestseller list in TV and movie), Bluray sells better than DVD.

I think what Shawne is saying is that since Rightstuf can't make their own blurays like Funimation can, than the anime that Nozomi licenses doesn't move enough to justify making both Blurays and DVDs. High School of the Dead sells enough to make a Bluray and a DVD but Utena doesn't.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:08 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:

It seems to me that BD is moving A LOT better than DVD, so I don't know how much longer Shawne can say that. It's one thing to put Dirty Pair on just DVD, but to release the remaster for Nadesico that was MADE FOR BLU RAY just pisses me off.

That's just one retailer. And just because the blurays are moving better in comparison to other blurays, doesn't mean they are outselling the DVDs. In fact, Anime Corner recently stated they were amazed by how much the HoTD and Daimao DVDs were outselling the blurays.

Anime watchers tend to be earlier adopters of new tech, so it's not surprising that blurays do better in comparison to other blurays, but that doesn't really mean anything for DVD sales. DVD sales overall stil outnumber bluray sales by a large margin.

And don't forget that Amazon still has a significant amount more DVD titles available than on Bluray, so the relative position of an anime bluray in their rankings doesn't mean that bluray is a viable medium for every release. They are competing against a lot less titles. And don't forget that it still costs more to produce and replicate and generally costs more to acquire the rights. Even Funimation still isn't putting everything out on bluray, and most of their titles greatly outsell those of Nozomi.

The rankings on Amazon are also greatly influenced by current sales. The HoTD bluray has been on sale for several weeks for $38, only $7 more than the DVD set. If it's price were higher, or at least closer to MSRP, it may not have done as well.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:54 am Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

They're being ranked by the same thing (Amazon Bestseller list in TV and movie), Bluray sells better than DVD.

I wasn't talking about that. My point was there's a whole lot more stuff released and bought in DVDs, so a lower ranking there may still beat a higher-ranking Bluray, in absolute numbers.
DavidShallcross

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:30 am Reply with quote
Take a look at the Amazon ranking in "Movies &TV". Both Blurays and DVDs appear in a single list. At this instant, the top 10 have 5 Blurays and 5 DVDs, with the top two being Blurays. The top 10 in the subcategory "Anime & Manga" have 6 Blurays, 3 DVDs, and one DVD/Bluray combo. I was surprised.

That said, I do support Nozomi, and suppose they have their reasons. For example, costs also matter: a raw ranking of which titles in which formats sell the most doesn't directly answer the question of which format or formats a title should be released in to make the most money/have the least chance of losing money.
agila61

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:18 am Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
bravetailor wrote:
Unfortunately, amazon is not a reflection of the real world, much like the internet in general.
How can you say with a straight face that the number one online retailer in the world is not a good measuring stick for how well something is selling?

Digital Entertainment Group Year End Report (pdf)

2010:
VHS/UMD: $0.0b
DVD: $14.0b
BD/Hi-Def: $2.3b
Digital: $2.5b

That's how. The BD/Hi-Def market is 17% the size of the BD market. Given that Nozomi specializes in niche titles that were passed on by other licensors, its not surprising that it is not yet looking at BD.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:42 am Reply with quote
I did not think this would be so complicated.

There is a master list that contain every DVD, BD, and million disc combo that's in print on Amazon. That is where those numbers come from. Not a DVD list. Not a BD list. Not the Anime/Manga list. The master list. That is where those shows rank compared to The Lord of the Rings, The Lion King, Madmen Season 3 BD, Beavis and Butthead Do America, and everything else in print.

So, according to that list, as far as anime goes in a neutral setting, the blu rays sell better than the DVDs. And in some cases, a lot better.

Quote:
That's just one retailer. And just because the blurays are moving better in comparison to other blurays, doesn't mean they are outselling the DVDs. In fact, Anime Corner recently stated they were amazed by how much the HoTD and Daimao DVDs were outselling the blurays.

No, it's the biggest online retailer in the world. RACS is minuscule in comparison. If I want to know how well something is doing stream-wise, I'm going to check Youtube or Hulu, not ANN's video section. And the original point was that on the ANNcast, Shawne said something along the lines of "Blu Rays aren't really moving all that well", seemingly inferring that BD wasn't doing too hot, but they actually do seem to be doing well for everyone, not just Funimation.

@agila61
I don't care about market size. Market size has nothing to do with this. It doesn't take a genius to figure that the (making up numbers here) 100 million movies on DVD have a bigger market share than the 25 million movies on BD. Now, if every single video in the world was released in both at the same time, that information would relevant. But as long as there are things like The Million Dollar Man, Galaxy Express, and The Aristocats that are only released on DVD with no BD, the DVD market size will be bigger.
agila61

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:27 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
I did not think this would be so complicated.

There is a master list that contain every DVD, BD, and million disc combo that's in print on Amazon. That is where those numbers come from. Not a DVD list. Not a BD list. Not the Anime/Manga list. The master list. That is where those shows rank compared to The Lord of the Rings, The Lion King, Madmen Season 3 BD, Beavis and Butthead Do America, and everything else in print.

So, according to that list, as far as anime goes in a neutral setting, the blu rays sell better than the DVDs. And in some cases, a lot better.
First, if all you have are numbers that say "BD rank" and "DVD rank", then, no, you don't know that. You're inferring it, but Amazon is not a news reporting business, they are a seller, and if they make more money on BD's, they'll set up their lists to make BD's appear more prominent.

And second, if the average price of BD's is higher than the average price of DVD's, then the unit sales of BD lag farther behind the unit sales of DVD's than the sales volumes do.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3