• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Dragon Ball Z: Fukkatsu no F Film's Trailer Previews Frieza's New Form

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FlyGuySempai

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:21 am Reply with quote
Just reading the comments, (i know, why right?) anyway, reading the comments and .....you can NEVER please an anime/manga fan, trailer was surprisingly badass, Frieza's form was pretty boss. Ya'll Just spoiled rotten.
fuff

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:34 am Reply with quote
i just hope future trunks makes an appearance in the film that would be awesome! especially the interaction with his younger self, and he doesnt even know goten!

seriously though instead of freeza they should have made it cell or kid buu
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:37 am Reply with quote
I like how Frieza's canonical new form looks closer to that of his non-canon brother, Cooler.
NJ_

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:11 am Reply with quote
the-antihero wrote:
Hurry up and dub this FUNimation! Waiting for Battle of Gods was a killer wait!

The wait for Battle of Gods was long I agree but it was worth it in the end since FUNi was able to pick up both the theatrical & extended TV versions (which in the case of the latter, had aired in March of last year which was two months before FUNi's license announcement) so I don't care if we have to wait another year for them to get this movie, if Toei & Fuji TV plans to do the same thing here that they did with Battle of Gods then it would be wise for FUNi to wait as long as they want so they can get that version too.
ZetaZaku

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:48 am Reply with quote
They used the Maximum the Hormone song?! Hope it's in the actual movie as well.
synaia

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:16 am Reply with quote
is it just me or did every time Goku and Frieza showed up fighting in the trailer, that goku was just fighting in his normal state (blue ki aura opposed to gold for super saiyan and red for super saiyan god)? while Frieza was in his golden transformation?
thelastgogeta

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:52 am Reply with quote
synaia wrote:
is it just me or did every time Goku and Frieza showed up fighting in the trailer, that goku was just fighting in his normal state (blue ki aura opposed to gold for super saiyan and red for super saiyan god)? while Frieza was in his golden transformation?

It isn't you. The power scaling is going to be stupid (see Roshi taking on Frieza's men with a Kamehameha) and Goku is either going to be more stupid or has a good reason not to transform connected to his training... Somehow Fukkatsu Form Frieza (do we have a name?) is bruised despite only fighting the base form of Goku as far as we can tell.

Given that Toriyama's work typically has characters power up to maximum almost immediately with even Battle of Gods wasting no time on that front, it is a shame to see such a classic movie trend.
VegettoEX

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:46 am Reply with quote
thelastgogeta wrote:
It isn't you. The power scaling is going to be stupid (see Roshi taking on Frieza's men with a Kamehameha) and Goku is either going to be more stupid or has a good reason not to transform connected to his training...

Why is it suddenly not possible for some people to be strong, some people to be weak, and any mix thereof in between?

Like, Freeza's bringing a ton of people along for the ride. Maybe some are lowly minions that the ol' hermit can take on. Others Piccolo needs to battle it out with.

I seriously cannot figure out why people make up these scenarios to be so upset. Go back and read/watch the series and view countless examples of this same kind of stuff happening. My theory is that people are so used to what happened before, that they can't even make the appropriate comparisons. If Majin Buu were to come out today as a new villain, fans would flip their shiz.

I mean, heck, the last time Kame-Sen'nin got a chance to shine (DBZ Movie 2), they had him fight weak things (Bio-Men) before he fought strong things (Kishime / Ebifurya / Misokattsun).

What I love about this film so far is that every time fandom comes up with these self-defeating questions, the new spoilers and marketing materials literally answer all those same questions back at them. Like, yeah. Toriyama and the production crew are aware. Give them some credit.

thelastgogeta wrote:
Somehow Fukkatsu Form Frieza (do we have a name?)

Yes, it's Kyūkyoku no shinka: Gōruden Furīza ("the ultimate evolution: Golden Freeza").
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:29 am Reply with quote
Guys guys guys...

You're all missing the most important reveal of this trailer.

spoiler[JACO GALACTIC PATROLMAN!!!!!!!!!!!!]
Greed1914

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:48 am Reply with quote
I suppose I can understand why Frieza's new form wouldn't be as drastically different as his other transformations since those were natural forms for his species, rather than the result of training. I can also get behind Roshi taking on the minions since we've seen some that accompanied Frieza to Namek that were weak enough that they needed guns in place of their own energy attacks. It's entirely possible that some are weak enough that Roshi can beat them.

The thing that bothers me is that Goku is sticking to his normal form, even after Frieza transforms. If it took a Super Saiyan to beat Frieza before, I don't know why Goku wouldn't at least start there. Hopefully there is a plot-related reason, and it isn't something as simple as Goku trying to prove how weak Frieza is compared to him now.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:52 am Reply with quote
I personally prefer these less elaborate transformations. SS1 Goku was okay, but things just started getting stupid after that. Goku's figure is iconic, there's no need to clutter that up with more hair.

The red haired Super Saiyan God form, and this new Golden Frieza are a lot better the anything else they could have gone with. Change the aura, not the figure. That's enough.
thelastgogeta

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:23 pm Reply with quote
VegettoEX wrote:

Why is it suddenly not possible for some people to be strong, some people to be weak, and any mix thereof in between?

Like, Freeza's bringing a ton of people along for the ride. Maybe some are lowly minions that the ol' hermit can take on. Others Piccolo needs to battle it out with.

This isn't only the range of weak and strong (vague terms - but I can buy that named guys are stronger), but also the range of characters who have been irrelevant in fights and never shown fighting in canon nor training since the 16th Volume.

Is it impossible for there to some Frieza soldiers who are weaker than Roshi decades after Frieza's defeat which jump to the front when approaching a planet? Nope.

It is still highly implausible at best and raises questions about what planet they were conquering and why they wouldn't improve themselves.

I seriously cannot figure out why people make up these scenarios to be so upset. Go back and read/watch the series and view countless examples of this same kind of stuff happening. My theory is that people are so used to what happened before, that they can't even make the appropriate comparisons.
Quote:
If Majin Buu were to come out today as a new villain, fans would flip their shiz.

I may need to see the series in full again, but Buu would definitely pass just fine if he popped up as a new villain in this movie. I would be on edge about why any writer who hold back a concept decades after a series ends sure but each villain that Toriyama introduced had a good reason not to appear, not to be mentioned prior and a decent reason to be strong (well the androids are a bit out there but still).

Buu's excuse being tied to a long span of time being sealed works just fine.

Quote:
I mean, heck, the last time Kame-Sen'nin got a chance to shine (DBZ Movie 2), they had him fight weak things (Bio-Men) before he fought strong things (Kishime / Ebifurya / Misokattsun).

I definitely like to see him fight, but not in canon material without a decent justification. Movie 2 and the implication that he would fight in a Broly movie had some charm but it doesn't do the series any favours if it just throw in fights for the sake of doing them.

If they had a world tournament where he got a chance to shine or we had another OVA like the Tarble one, those would be nice.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:13 pm Reply with quote
I'm really digging Jaco the Galactic Patrolman, of all characters, joining the fight.

It also almost makes too much sense for a bunch of henchmen of a killed off villain to go gather the Dragon Balls to wish their leader back if they like them that much. That being said, does this mean that Sorbet and Tagoma had surpassed Frieza in strength? I mean, the bio for Sorbet says that he is a tactician or something, but the trailer had a shot of him firing a laser, so it looks like he fights too.

Then again, from what I've read, Babidi's power level was 1 million, equal to Frieza's second form, and Babidi was not a fighter by any means (except to try to take control of his opponents), so I think after some time, Akira Toriyama stopped caring about power levels relative to anyone but the heroes.

Vaisaga wrote:
According to the manga version, Freeza spoiler[has never trained in his life. He was already so powerful he didn't need to. After being revived he decides to do some serious training and thus his powerup.] I was wondering how they were going to make Freeza not a chump, and this explanation makes sense.

I suppose that means the rest of his family was like that too, considering Cooler was not that much stronger than he was. It makes me wonder what his species is like, which, to my knowledge, has never been revealed.

Takamachi Ryoko wrote:
And this takes place 3 years after Battle of God but the characters don't seem to age much.

Biggest WTF moment for me probably how Master Roshi kamekameha the Frieza's soldiers Laughing

At least in Goku's case, Saiyans age slower than Earthlings, though yeah, it doesn't explain why the Pilaf trio haven't grown older.

And it'd make sense for Roshi to use the Kamehameha Wave. He invented it, after all. I didn't expect him to shoot it out of his stick though. It's kind of funny how much fodder Frieza brought with him when everyone seems able to effortlessly blast them away, Dynasty Warriors style.

WeskerGriff wrote:
Trailer looks like a lot of fun!

Little sad though that the Ginyu Force isn't in this. I was hoping they would show up or get wished back since they are trying to revive Frieza's empire. That would have been amazing. The Ginyu Force were always highly entertaining and underrated.

I'd bet the Ginyu Force is so far behind everyone else that there's really no point in bringing them back. The only two whose powers would still be useful are Guldo (whose time-stopping powers, admittedly, could give Frieza the advantage he needs) and Captain Ginyu, who can't be wished back because he's still alive.
kurowa-san

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:21 pm Reply with quote
This could also mean that Cell has a form beyond his last one, seeing as he has Frieza cells.
moua_kong_90

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:42 pm Reply with quote
all i like to say is, Marron still haven't age a year since the buu saga. and if this is really 3 years after BOG baby Pan look nothing like a 2/3 year old.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3