• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
On Moderation (& *being* moderated)

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:24 am Reply with quote
{Placed here so as to avoid derailing the intended thread. ~nbahn}

Being part of the Kill la Kill problem, I'm posting this here. It'd be interesting to see if it actually gets posted. From a PM response:

Quote:
*sigh*
You are certainly intelligent enough to realize that that being told that insulting forum users is unacceptable is a signal that sanctions might be issued. Stop insulting people -- either directly or indirectly. Make your posts as boring as possible. If you need drama in your life, then either take up sky-diving &/or bungee-jumping.

{I'm just posting this because I was called "intelligent"... somehow forgot the "not"}

I'm having a problem with the mods as his/her reply has gone from "don't post blanket statements" to "stop insulting people" in zero posts from me.

What I said was that fans supporting that show do so by either disregarding certain aspects, ignoring them altogether or finding other shows they consider worse and this is against "Teh Rules" somehow. I have evidence, should I have used that? Not that I got the chance...

I did not insult people for liking the show.
I did question how people liked it and if they only could do so by ignoring the more exploitive aspects of it, ie "trash" movie genre aspects, all that violence, sexism and racism, as the sleaziness is one of the things I like about it.

If I was misundertstood {repeatedly by mods at that; I saw the other Feedback thread and couldn't respond to it, how nice, never been part of a lynch mob before. Could have sent me a pm, maybe?}, fine, I get that all the time but allow me to respond, don't cut me off.

While I am blunt {my username is not "Mr. Anime Niceguy" for a reason other than the Anime eigo one}, I'm only ever fully serious when the subject matter calls for it {rape, that's one of them. Please don't throw it around lightly}. If you don't like what I say, ignore it. I've kept my posts with an avatar or margins to place them in the background for a reason.

Last thing: There's no way my words should have an effect on the enjoyment on your show {Now there's a blanket statement} unless my opinion strikes a nerve {if it makes you think, even better). I offer up analysis/ counter-analysis based on what I saw {going back to Ai Yori Ayoshi and my first problem with the mods; After being a poster here for more than two years somehow} and I have the techniques and talents to do so constructively. As for tact, there's only so much I can do in a paragraph, plus it lessens the impact.

My point? Overmodding, when did that kick in? And why isn't it consistent?
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:22 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
And why isn't it consistent?

Emerson wrote:
A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds

I just had to quote that.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Also this: http://www.enotes.com/homework-help/what-does-this-mean-foolish-consistency-hobgoblin-109167

My takeaway? We can only do the best that we can do, with no malice aforethought.
Touma

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:14 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:

Maybe we just have different standards for what constitutes an insult, and I am not saying that sarcastically. I know that it is possible for a person to inadvertently insult somebody because he would not be insulted if the comment were directed at him.

To me " its ok for people to like bad things for bad reasons", "the trash that it is" and "it's ok to like trash" all count as insults.

They are certainly not the worst of insults, but they are insults.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Errinundra

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:27 pm Reply with quote
3 suggestions, Animegomaniac.

1. Post about anime without reference to other posters. Compare the following:

Quote:
Anime AAAA has excessive XXXX.

Quote:
How can anime fans not see the garbage that is the excessive XXXX in anime AAAA?

The latter is sure to offend.

2. Say what you mean. Be Clear. Don't muddy posts with allusion or inference. People have sensitive bullshit radars. Obfuscation makes offending point 1 seem even worse.

3. Don't waste emotional and intellectual energy on something you don't like. Say clearly what you think about anime AAAA then move on. Channel your energy into the really important subjects - the shows you love. Tell us, in detail if you like, why they are so good.

Last edited by Errinundra on Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Crisha

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:07 pm Reply with quote
Additionally, if people have to constantly interrupt themselves to put in snide little asides, it:

1. Ruins the flow of the discussion and argument the poster is making.

2. Obfuscates the argument.

3. Does not make for pleasant reading.

For example:
Quote:
If I was misundertstood {repeatedly by mods at that; I saw the other Feedback thread and couldn't respond to it, how nice, never been part of a lynch mob before. Could have sent me a pm, maybe?}, fine, I get that all the time but allow me to respond, don't cut me off.

The bolded words are unnecessary gobble. This isn't a manga, we don't need a constant stream of your inner thoughts on the matter. They break the flow of the sentence and the attitude they often convey is rude and likely to make people stop reading. I often just end up skimming over your posts trying to look for the relevant parts if I even put in the effort.

It reminds of the bad habit I've seen novice fanfic writers make where they write an author's note in the middle of a sentence to clarify something they said or to just make a comment.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:04 am Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:

...hmm...

Animegomaniac wrote:
...The damn fandom and this show; Is there a blindness involved with Kill la Kill? I noticed the same thing with Hope Chapman's reviews, it's being revised as people rewatch somehow. "It's not fascist here or sexist here because later in the show..." ...

Gee, that doesn't sound like an insult *at all*.

At least I had the sense to apologize to the moderators for the entire mess on my behalf. YOU don't seem to have learned a single thing. You aware that you might be the one at fault in some regards, right? In fact, I recall you bullying me in regards to my opinions on certain animes several times in the past. I believe Tony can vouch on my behalf, as I believe he had to delete an entire post of yours that consisted of mocking MY post.

As someone who has been bullied by the poster, I wanted to share my side of the story. I'd also like to have permission to bring in other members to testify. (Mr. Oshawott, for example, was mocked for liking Ai Yori Aoshi a while back.) That is all I have to say for this issue.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:12 am Reply with quote
Akane the Catgirl wrote:
I'd also like to have permission to bring in other members to testify.

Is Judge Judy a mod here? Twisted Evil
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:22 am Reply with quote
Animegomaniac, if you think you were told to stop insulting people just based on this one incident, you're wrong. In general your behavior here sucks - you're rude, insulting, condescending and generally pretty crappy to other posters and the staff. I think you know that - you seem pretty proud of being that way. We get complaints about you pretty often. None of this should come as a surprise.

We don't ban you because you usually just skirt the rules - walking right up to the line without ever really crossing it, which is a big pain and it makes life difficult for the mods and staff, because you're always pushing the spirit of the rules, but not the letter. So we generally let you continue.

This time you were asked to stop insulting people. Naturally, that means you want to split hairs over whether or not you ever insulted anyone, reframe your obvious insults as "just your opinion", and then accuse everyone of overmoderating, because of course that's what you're doing. I wouldn't expect any other behavior from you.

Generally I get pretty miffed myself when people act like someone expressing a negative opinion of a TV show they like is a personal insult - it's a big pet peeve of mine, a smokescreen for oversensitive people who want to make sure no real discussion or debate ever happens. They feel threatened by opinions they don't agree with, so they turn it into an argument over their feelings, which makes it a personal issue and casts the person complaining about the show as a "bully". It's unfair, anathema to conversation and I'm right there with you in pushing back against that line of thinking.

But in that isn't usually what you do - every time you express a negative opinion you have to cast whoever disagrees with you as an idiot. It can't just be "I dislike Kill la Kill because XYZ", it's "I dislike Kill la Kill because XYZ, and [this reviewer/the forum users I'm arguing with/everyone except me] is a hypocritical moron for defending it". That's where the problem is. That's what you're being called out for doing. I get a metric ton of manure dumped on my head when I do that. I learned to stop doing it. You should stop doing it too.

The thing you need to do is stop being a dick to people. You being warned for your garbage behavior isn't anyone's fault but yours. Stop being confrontational and condescending and crappy to other forum users, the mods, and the staff. Stop doing it. That's all you have to do. It's very simple. I doubt 100% you'll listen to me or take this extremely easy-to-follow advice. But you could, and then you'd never have the mods on your case again.

~fin~
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:26 pm Reply with quote
Touma wrote:
To me " its ok for people to like bad things for bad reasons", "the trash that it is" and "it's ok to like trash" all count as insults.

But those aren't actually insults, even if you mistakenly take them as such. I mean obviously context is important, and all three lines can be used as part of insults. But in and of themselves the lines in question are not personal insults at all, although obviously the first one could be worded a lot better. They are aimed towards the show in question, not the fans of said show.

I personally love Dragonball Z, for example, but I'd be the first to admit that it's a trashy show. Because it is a trashy show. Hugely enjoyable nostalgia trip, yes, but in numerous ways it's garbage, made primarily for young boys and pre-teens with little to no standards, and that's a simple indisputable fact. But that doesn't mean that I have bad taste in anime, or I have low standards, or that I'm somehow wrong or foolish for liking DBZ. It's just one title out of the many hundreds that I've seen.

Anyway, enough about me. My point is Touma that you should stop being so overly-sensitive and instead divorce yourself from the shows you watch and enjoy. Someone labels a show you like as trash? That doesn't mean that they're saying that you're trash, or that you're wrong for liking it; just that the show is bad. If that's their genuine opinion or conclusion upon watching it, then there's absolutely no justification for you to take it as a personal insult when it so clearly isn't.

If someone only says a show is bad in order to piss off its fans or to otherwise get a reaction out of people, then call in the mods. What they're doing is trolling by way of flame-baiting and you shouldn't have to put up with that harassment. But people's genuine opinions about a show should not be censored just to spare your blushes. And don't take everything so personally. If some random stranger on the internet hated something that you liked then that doesn't invalidate your enjoyment one little bit.
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:38 pm Reply with quote
^ For all that you said about "context being important", you yourself just pulled what Touma said out of context. This isn't about people being butthurt because X didn't like Y anime. This is about someone who's repeatedly been proved to be an unpleasant jerk and bully. Please pay attention to what we've been saying before you post. What you just said had nothing to do with what's going on.

Speaking of which, have you had any negative experience with Animegomaniac? Please tell. It would be very helpful for the sort-of-trial going on currently. Anime smile
Touma

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:55 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Touma wrote:

But those aren't actually insults ... although obviously the first one could be worded a lot better. They are aimed towards the show in question, not the fans of said show.

Having "bad reasons" to like something is definitely about the fans rather than the show.

Those were all given as examples of things that can be seen as insults even if they were not intended as such.
I see now that the way that I worded my post made it seem like I was taking those more personally that I really was.
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:05 pm Reply with quote
Akane the Catgirl wrote:
^ For all that you said about "context being important", you yourself just pulled what Touma said out of context.

He didn't even give any context for the quotes except to say that they are insults in his eyes, so that's the context that I used.

Akane the Catgirl wrote:
Speaking of which, have you had any negative experience with Animegomaniac? Please tell. It would be very helpful for the sort-of-trial going on currently. Anime smile

I don't want to have to write an essay on Animegomaniac - which I could do - but more importantly, the "trial" is over and he's already been talked to. No new evidence I can bring to light would change anything right now, so there's no point.

Touma wrote:
Having "bad reasons" to like something is definitely about the fans rather than the show.

Okay, I'll concede that. But the other two were perfectly fine.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:51 pm Reply with quote
^
I won't say that that Animegomaniac is the best flame-baiter on these fora/forums, but he is clearly one of the best. Period. The fact that he's managed to get a rise out of Akane the Catgirl and Touma should be considered prima facie evidence of this.

By the way (just for everyone's information); Animegomaniac has not been banned -- he is, rather, under moderation. (I was the one who -- after consulting others -- placed him under moderation and that's my PM that he's quoting in the OP.)
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:00 pm Reply with quote
Right. An official decision has been made and the guy is on moderation. We don't have to worry about him anymore. Therefore the mods have dealt with this matter (thank you nbahn) and the case is closed.

Should the thread be locked now? No point keeping it open.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2