• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain Listed for September 1 Worldwide

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greed1914

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:31 pm Reply with quote
Kind of a lot of wiggle room on whether this is the "final" Metal Gear, but since Kojima claimed he wanted to move on to other things ever since MGS2 on 2001, I don't take him too seriously on these things. However, he does have a point in that this basically brings Big Boss's story pretty close to when Solid Snake's story starts, so I don't know how much room there is for more.

Even if it does end up truly being the last Metal Gear, I would be ok with that. The series has been going for a long time, dealt with retcons, and taken some turns lately that I really disliked, such as Rising being a hack n' slash game, or recasting Kiefer Sutherland as Big Boss without so much as letting David Hayter know he was out.
KH91

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:47 pm Reply with quote
We'll see if this is truly the final Metal Gear story-wise. He can still remake MG1 and 2 though.

Anyway, bring the band back together for ZoE3.
Themaster20000

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:50 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
Kind of a lot of wiggle room on whether this is the "final" Metal Gear, but since Kojima claimed he wanted to move on to other things ever since MGS2 on 2001, I don't take him too seriously on these things. However, he does have a point in that this basically brings Big Boss's story pretty close to when Solid Snake's story starts, so I don't know how much room there is for more.

Even if it does end up truly being the last Metal Gear, I would be ok with that. The series has been going for a long time, dealt with retcons, and taken some turns lately that I really disliked, such as Rising being a hack n' slash game, or recasting Kiefer Sutherland as Big Boss without so much as letting David Hayter know he was out.

Kojima is going to milk this for as long as he can. I didn't have an issue with Rising since it's a spinoff(a great one too). I had more of a issue with 4,which other than it's graphics;failed me gameplay-wise.
EmberJune

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:01 pm Reply with quote
Not the last of the FRANCHISE?
Doesn't that further prove that MGR 2 is totally happening? (Along with the hint at the Taipei Game Show).
SUPER HYPED FOR THAT.
MGR might not have been for everyone, but Platinum knows what it's doing, and I really enjoyed it, even if it's not a MGS game.
jdnation

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:24 pm Reply with quote
Kojima has indeed seriously tried to move away from MGS. Of course Konami is never going to abandon the franchise, but as an end to the 'Solid Saga' it makes sense.

Kojima does have Silent Hills lined up for him to work on next so he'll finally be stepping away from MGS. The investment into the FOX Engine demanded a large money-maker game to cover the costs so obviously that is Metal Gear. But now that it's nearly done, Kojima is looking to revive Silent Hill as another tentpole franchise for Konami.

Whether another RISING happens doesn't depend so much on Platinum Games as it does on whether it was worth it to Konami. In fact Platinum was brought on board to rescue RISING at the last minute because the staff Kojima left the task up to couldn't handle it. So considering the wasted resources and having to pay another developer to salvage what they could, Konami would have to decide whether green-lighting another game is worth it or whether the money would be better invested on some other in-house Metal Gear or other project.

I'm hoping after Silent Hills, Kojima can convince Konami to do another Zone of the Enders that he teased concept ides for earlier.

Personally, I hope there'll be another Metal Gear Ac!d for Vita as I loved the first two games. But chances are really slim as those weren't hot sellers, but you'd think in this age of phones and tablets and touch screens that Konami could easily put it out on Vita/mobile/tablet and try and tap into that large audience (at least on mobile/tablet, though Vita does have a high attach rate and fanbase).

I'm guessing there'll be an MGO Beta announced at E3 to stress test the servers before the launch in September.
blessed

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:48 pm Reply with quote
Well I hope it's true caz that'll give me time to have the perfect set up. And whatever Kojima does from there on will always peek my interest.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:26 am Reply with quote
Greed: I'm sure if Miyazaki still had Kojima's health and youth, he'd be 'retiring' as often as Kojima keeps claiming he's 'done' with the series. Laughing

Anyway, while I appreciate it being available on the PS3, not making it an exclusive takes away the incentive for people to upgrade to a PS4. But, personally, I just hope it's not an imbalanced micro-management mess like every other MGS focusing on Big Boss.

jdnation: What Kojima should be doing is giving us new effing ports of Snatcher and Policenauts already.
Kyoshinhei
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:42 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Both games will be released for PC via Steam in the future.

Actually Ground Zeroes has already been released on Steam in December (though it was not very advertised)
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:19 pm Reply with quote
MGS' synopsis wrote:
Snake has lost a lot of his abilities, and must crawl through a hospital to escape.

Yep, that's MGS all right.
I hope that both Metal Gear Solid V games will be united/merged into one game (even if it's just a launcher app), since Ground Zeroes is the prequel/prologue to The Phantom Pain.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:32 pm Reply with quote
Phantom Pain 5/10 was the ONE canon MGS/Kojima game i can´t stand and i like the non-canon Acid 2 (one was ok and had a decent story when compared). GZ was 45 minutes long (!?!) and misused rape/torture like nones business while skipping the ending. A disgrace but PP could be one of the best entries. I certainly know when i will take a few days of as i finished IV and Rising (then will the trailer for 2 come out i wonder?) in one sitting.
I am of the school of though that the lead is not Naked Snake so grab your tinfoil hat´s and of to the google you go. Let´s see if Quite (she should just be naked as her the cloths only look creepy) is a good female lead or not as there are only truly bad and straight out amazing female characters exist in the Kojima-verse.
Remember when people though that Chico is her 'Confused' but Kotaku also analyzed the new Links chest to find out i he was secretly a girl. Is it trap season and none told me?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1