• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tron: Legacy Director Joseph Kosinsky In Talks to Direct Gran Turismo Film

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Escaflowne2001

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:08 pm Reply with quote
Need for Speed was cheesey fun but Gran Turismo? A serious racing film....
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:26 pm Reply with quote
Is Gran Turismo the driving simulator that doesn't even allow for physical damage of the cars or am I thinking of something else? I had the first one for PSX but it got lost with all the other driving simulators along the way.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:30 pm Reply with quote
Hopefully they don't pigeonhole a romance in this, I want pure racing with maybe an underdog story as well.
varmintx

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:38 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Is Gran Turismo the driving simulator that doesn't even allow for physical damage of the cars or am I thinking of something else? I had the first one for PSX but it got lost with all the other driving simulators along the way.
Damaged was introduced in 5.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:12 pm Reply with quote
So, I guess we can give the Tron Legacy sequel and Black Hole reboots up for dead? Sad

Last edited by EricJ2 on Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
configspace

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:12 pm Reply with quote
There are a couple of fantasy cars sponsored by real manufacturers if I recall. So I wonder they'll actually build a real prototype for those cars in the movie.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:05 am Reply with quote
Now Need For Speed at least has plots, somewhat, in their games. Some semblance of a story to follow through. So making a movie, maybe more, off of that franchise I can understand. Gran Turismo though....I don't see how they can do it without the product being completely unrelated except in name. I mean Gran Turismo, and it's counterpart Forza, are racing simulators. There's no real story mode there. Unless the latest changed that (I have not played them).
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:49 am Reply with quote
Now, how it that gonna work? Random scenes of serious-looking drivers racing? What the plot will be? Will it be Speed Racer-esque?
I don't think that will be a good movie.
Fedora-san

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:29 am Reply with quote
I'm banking on it being Fast and the Furious-esque since those apparently made money.
kevinx59

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:23 am Reply with quote
This is like making a movie based on Microsoft Flight Simulator. I mean Gran Turismo is nice but it doesn't have any story (or action for that part). How exactly is this going to work? Maybe if it's a drama film about professional racing but... At least the director is decent but this doesn't seem like it'll give him much to work with.
ninja noir

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:50 am Reply with quote
...Why is this happening? Who thought of this? No matter what they do, nothing about this is going to scream "Gran Turismo".

It's a game where you drive cars around a track, and that's it. No plot. Nothing to distinguish it aside from gameplay. Just take any film that has a car in it and call it Gran Turismo. What's the point?
varmintx

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:32 am Reply with quote
Since it's not mentioned in the article, and many of you seem perplexed, Polyphony Digital (the studio behind Gran Turismo) teamed up with Nissan to form the GT Academy which, through a series of competitions, finds a player each year and turns them into a real racecar driver, many of whom have gone on to great success.

The movie is said to be based around a fictionalized version of the first of the GT Academy winners, Lucas Ordóñez, and his journey from virtual driver to professional driver.
Banken

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:23 am Reply with quote
varmintx wrote:
Megiddo wrote:
Damaged was introduced in 5.

Damage is still completely irrelevant and you can still use your car as a battering ram in order to win.
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:35 am Reply with quote
Shocked After reading this, I'm wondering how is this going to work. Confused
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Primus

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:54 pm Reply with quote
There are reports that the story outline for the film will have a video game player become a professional race car driver. Before you roll your eyes, it's supposed to be a biopic based on the life of Lucas Ordonez, the first graduate from the Gran Turismo Academy.

If you had to make a Gran Turismo film, I think this is the smartest way to do it. Though I'm sure there's going to be a lot of people who'll find this movie to be more unbelievable than your average blockbuster. Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2