• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sony Sells 20.2 Million PS4 Consoles Globally

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AnimeAddict2014

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:29 am Reply with quote
This is good news.

Maybe games that left Playstation during the PS3 era will return to the PS4.

Anyone here think they will release a SLIM version in 2016 or 2017? at $300?

Last edited by AnimeAddict2014 on Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:40 am; edited 1 time in total
Fedora-san

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:37 am Reply with quote
Since I got around 2K from my tax refund I went ahead and got one and some games. Dead or Alive, Ground Zeroes, Naturine Docterine.
AnimeAddict2014

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:44 am Reply with quote
Fedora-san wrote:
Since I got around 2K from my tax refund I went ahead and got one and some games. Dead or Alive, Ground Zeroes, Naturine Docterine.

Tax Refund? Lucky you! Smile

for me and my co-workers, we hate tax season.

If you are contractors or business owners, you will understand. Wink
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:44 am Reply with quote
They have the software to keep people coming back, unlike the WiiU.
Fedora-san

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:20 am Reply with quote
Hameyadea wrote:
They have the software to keep people coming back, unlike the WiiU.

Actually that's why the Wii U was my first new console. It has a ton of games on it and I have way more Wii U games than PS4 games. I mainly got a PS4 because there's been games announced for it like Persona 5 and Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory II along with the few out now. Up until now it had zero games for it worth playing for me. I even resorted to getting a port like Last Round with how slim the pickings were since I never got around to playing DOA5 before now.

AnimeAddict2014 wrote:

Being a lowly number cruncher has its advantages at times.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:53 am Reply with quote
AnimeAddict2014 wrote:

As long as the production costs become that low too by then. Sony is done losing money to get market share. This year heading for its 6th net loss in 7 years, trying to return to profit by next 3 years. So they won't lower price just because of competitors; they can't afford it.

"In search of profit, Sony spins off audio and video"

• "Our strategy, from the next fiscal year onward, is to focus on generating profit and to invest in growth", [Sony CEO Kazuo] Hirai said.

Investors have reacted positively to this new strategy, as it could multiply profits by 25 compared to its current position. For this fiscal year, with full results published at a later time, Sony expects a net loss. Over the next three years, Hirai feels an operational profit of more than 500 billion yen (3 billion euro) should be feasible.
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:34 am Reply with quote
I heard about this. Big congrats to Sony for this milestone.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
the-antihero

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:47 am Reply with quote
I'll use my tax refund to get all the major consoles, except XBox One.
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:59 pm Reply with quote
I know the first-run consoles have fared much better than the last gen's, but I'd rather wait until they release a newer/revised version of the PS4. Also, I'm already content enough with the PS3 and there isn't much that the PS4 offers (console- or game-wise) that makes me want to purchase one. The day will come when it will, but that's not today…

I thought the Xbox One would have outpaced it, but some of its technological limitations and the (deserved) backhanding it received at Sony's E3 conference a few years ago pre-launch probably didn't help much.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
AnimeAddict2014

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:28 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
AnimeAddict2014 wrote:

As long as the production costs become that low too by then. Sony is done losing money to get market share. This year heading for its 6th net loss in 7 years, trying to return to profit by next 3 years. So they won't lower price just because of competitors; they can't afford it.

"In search of profit, Sony spins off audio and video"

• "Our strategy, from the next fiscal year onward, is to focus on generating profit and to invest in growth", [Sony CEO Kazuo] Hirai said.

Investors have reacted positively to this new strategy, as it could multiply profits by 25 compared to its current position. For this fiscal year, with full results published at a later time, Sony expects a net loss. Over the next three years, Hirai feels an operational profit of more than 500 billion yen (3 billion euro) should be feasible.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/02/19/sony-looking-to-playstation-for-profitable-future

I heard they started to make profits with the introduction of the PS4.

but their other products didn't do so well though. Their tvs and smartphones.

Fedora-san wrote:

AnimeAddict2014 wrote:

Being a lowly number cruncher has its advantages at times.

actually..

they just gave you back the money they took from you.. The money you lend them for the year--interests FREE - back to you :/

If you know your % it's best to adjust it, so you don't give them an interest free loan. It's nice to have more money in your pocket, since you might need it.

Last edited by AnimeAddict2014 on Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
KH91

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:44 pm Reply with quote
And Japan numbers will be contributing better this year.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:00 pm Reply with quote
I had one since summer (i paid 300 € on ebay) but buy a Vita for the love of god! We need help! Japan may jump on board in 2016 or when even FF XV (aka Vapoware Returns!) comes out. Dear Nipüon please stop doing PS3 games or PS4/Vita combos and cut the umbilical cord Sony.
I will buy the Xbone late this year after i sell the 360 i guess and my WiiU is in the closet again.
Le Sigh Big N and console wars are retarded.
Polycell

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:28 pm Reply with quote
They're used to doing PS3 games; even if the PS4 is simpler to develop for, it's still a radically different platform that still has a smaller market share. As for "cutting the umbilical", Sony's finally making a profit on the PS3(and always were on the PS4), so they have no particular reason to and all the reason in the world not to, given the incompatibility.
megazero

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 1:23 am Reply with quote
This should signal a Sony comeback.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1