• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Valvrave the Liberator Sub.Blu-Ray [2015-03-04]

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:39 pm Reply with quote
Story... B.... HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

That was a good one. The story is one of the worst train wrecks in recent history, with most of the characters carrying the idiot ball like it's some sort of life saving shield. The ending is especially insulting to the viewers and was probably written after an all night crack smoking session.
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:50 pm Reply with quote
^
It does seem very generous. I dropped the show in disgust after the first season - and not because of the rape scene either, though that didn't help - so I'm not up with the play on what happened in season two. But from reading the review, the story certainly sounds awful. So a B is puzzling.
Cyclone1993

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:28 pm Reply with quote
A B sounds about right, I probably would have given it something a bit higher. I absolutely love this series, but there was one major issue in the second season that kind of lowered it a bit in my eyes. I was hoping they would fill in more details in the time skip gap, but that's pretty much my only complaint. Almost everything else worked out perfectly, and it's easily one of the best mecha series I've watched. I'd love to buy it someday...
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:53 pm Reply with quote
For most of Valvrave's run, I was drinking its Kool-Aid really hard, no matter how silly and outrageous it got. It was poised to be one of my favorite shows of 2013, until I watched the wretched episode 21 (or episode 9 of season 2), which was like seeing the show self-destruct before my eyes.

In one fell swoop, that incredibly stupid script (credited to Psycho-Pass 2's Jun Kumagai, although I suppose Ichiro Okouchi deserves some of the blame since he supervised it and probably rewrote it) ruined most of the New JIOR characters to me and made me stop caring about Haruto and Shoko as a couple. After that, the show just went through the motions and ended in the most predictable way possible.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Predictable? I don't know about you but spoiler[ Shouko coming back in Haruto's suit to be met by some gelatinous space things with guns (?) for arms isn't something I would call predictable. I don't even know what those WERE. ]
Cyclone1993

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:23 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
Predictable? I don't know about you but spoiler[ Shouko coming back in Haruto's suit to be met by some gelatinous space things with guns (?) for arms isn't something I would call predictable. I don't even know what those WERE. ]

You weren't supposed to know, spoiler[ they were an alien species that the people of New JIOR came into contact with. She was greeting them instead of chasing them away. While bringing up a line that Haruto would often use.]
GalicianNightmare

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:37 pm Reply with quote
I dislike how Valvrave wasn't dubbed. Aniplex makes the dumbest decisions on what not to dub. KNK, this, the Gurren Lagann movies(which is especially dumb, since Gurren Lagann was a hit in the US) and even making us wait a YEAR to get Fate/Zero dubbed, when it could have been dubbed back in mid 2012. Le sigh.
sainta

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:54 pm Reply with quote
If there is a character I came to like is Audrey and ELISA (wait, singers don't count?)

Also, there were some dumb moments like when Shoko

spoiler[betrays Haruto and gives him to the enemy alongside Eruerufu.] Then spoiler[the princess' death was so predictable and it made Eruerufu a worse character once he starts punching Haruto endlessly.]

[/spoiler]
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:57 pm Reply with quote
Besides the rape scene, what made the series controversial? If we go by how the series ended, you could say a lot of series are controversial in that aspect.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:00 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
Besides the rape scene, what made the series controversial? If we go by how the series ended, you could say a lot of series are controversial in that aspect.

Not all series even get anything resembling an ending either. Hello Venus Versus Virus or Claymore. At least Claymore has the manga.
Calculus20

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:28 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:

Also add on the fact that most anime script writers and mangaka don't even know how to make a good ending.
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:33 pm Reply with quote
Calculus20 wrote:
Also add on the fact that most anime script writers and mangaka don't even know how to make a good ending.

Your comment reminds me of Naruto, and how a manga that enjoyed sixteen years of serialisation ended in a rushed and disappointing way. All that time to prepare for the ending and Kishimoto still screwed it up.
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:37 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
Well I hated it because the writing was godawful and of course because of how the the show itself along with Cross Ange is a prime example of everything that's wrong with Sunrise these days.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:55 pm Reply with quote
Say what you will about Cross Ange, but at least I don't have to go "Why the hell are they doing/did they do that?" or "What the hell are they doing?". At least it's straightforward in its stupidity.
Cyclone1993

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:09 pm Reply with quote
At least Cross Ange, and Valvrave aren't Buddy Complex. While people will complain about Valvrave and Cross Ange (and I like them both quite a bit) they are at least entertaining. Buddy Complex doesn't even really have that going for it, nor does Reconguista in G for that matter.

I have no problems with the narrative structure of Valvrave, (everything makes complete sense to me, but of course I'm weird) and while Cross Ange does have some moments that could be considered offensive, they are both watchable.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2