• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Seven Seas Games Announces Space Dandy Deck-Building Game

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NegativeZero

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:59 pm Reply with quote
For reference, 'deck building' card games are not anything like trading card games. The way they work is that everyone starts with a fixed set of ten or so cards and there is a supply of extra cards in the center of the table. Players use their starting cards to acquire new cards from that central supply, building up a deck as they play. It's all about managing probabilities in your deck and usually about acquiring more point cards than everyone else before a certain number of cards in the supply are exhausted. The game should contain a large, fixed set of cards and while most popular Deck Builders offer expansions, again, you'd only need one copy of that to play. There's no blind, randomized packages or anything - you get everything you need to play in the box.

I'd probably have backed this if they hadn't made the ludicrous decision to restrict the regions they're going to ship to the Americas. Though they're asking for so little that there's no way this Kickstarter will fail, they're never going to be successful long-term in the board game arena if they can't sell stuff to the biggest board game markets (i.e. Europe).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:29 pm Reply with quote
Card games not bad but its got nothing on Black Jack
IanC

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:33 pm Reply with quote
And of course the UK doesn't exist to them. Rolling Eyes
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:47 pm Reply with quote
To add on to the nice summary by NegativeZero… I mentioned it on page 1, but if you don't get deck-building games, a perfectly good place to get started is with Tanto Cuore, which takes the basic deck-building mechanics introduced by Dominion and dresses them up in frilly anime maid outfits.

Quick summary: all players start with the same 10 cards: 7 "1-Love" cards and 3 "Collette"s. Collete is worth one victory point (VP), so the game starts in an all-way tie with 3 points. Each player draws a hand of 5 cards from their deck. On your turn, you have one "serving" and one "employment". Each serving means one maid in your hand can use her special abilities. An employment means you can use the accumulated "love" in your hand (heh heh) to buy the services of one maid in the town, provided you have enough love points. You then put your cards in a discard pile, which will later be shuffled into your deck once you need to do so to draw a hand.

The idea is that there's a cycle of hand to discard to deck to hand, and you want to start introducing cards that will help you later. Some maids let you draw extra cards or provide additional servings or employments, and these are used to create combos where you burn through far more than five cards in a hand. There are also higher-value love cards which you can buy, which is crucial because most of the cards that deliver victory points have a high cost, and it's challenging to get a single hand with the 9 love you'll need to buy Marianne and her 6 victory points.

Yes, this is as entirely maid fetishy as it sounds. Although after the imouto craze and now anthromporphized weapons as moé girls, maids don't seem so bad.

Anyways, it's easy and cheap to get a feel for it. There's a really well done iOS version of Tanto Cuore on the App Store, it only costs $3, and it has competent AI play, plus online play (look me up, I'm "invalidname").
Conner Crooks

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:03 pm Reply with quote
NegativeZero wrote:
I'd probably have backed this if they hadn't made the ludicrous decision to restrict the regions they're going to ship to the Americas. Though they're asking for so little that there's no way this Kickstarter will fail, they're never going to be successful long-term in the board game arena if they can't sell stuff to the biggest board game markets (i.e. Europe).

IanC wrote:
And of course the UK doesn't exist to them. Rolling Eyes

As we mentioned across our social media feeds, and on our Kickstarter's FAQ, we had originally approached this project with the hope of obtaining worldwide distribution rights. Unfortunately, we were unable to get permission and are limited to distribution in North/Central/South America.

While I cannot say for sure that we'll have worldwide distro for our other projects, it is something we will continue to seek out as the Seven Seas Games division advances. It isn't our intention to leave out wanting-players, and we will do what we can to make them available in the future.

We will also hopefully have more news on our distribution & retail plans for Seven Seas Games in the coming weeks.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:15 am Reply with quote
Already funded
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2