• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Blood-C (TV).

Goto page   Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Raftina

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:22 pm Reply with quote

Blood-C (TV)

Genres: action, horror, psychological, supernatural
Themes: gore, monsters, vampires

Plot Summary: Saya is a seemingly normal girl living with her father in a shrine. During the day she goes to school and spends time with her friends at a local cafe. But when night falls Saya is called upon to protect her village from strange monsters.
----------------------------------

Well, the third entry into the Blood franchise, Blood-C, is set to premier on July 8th. It will stream on Nico Nico's International Site. ANN reports that it will be available outside of Japan. Still no big logo on the series page though (because it's not streamed by one of ANN's ad partners?).

You might've noticed the anorexic design of Saya--yes, the main character is still named Saya. Well, there is a reason for that.

Yep. CLAMP got their dirty hands on the Blood franchise. It's not just the character design either, as they were also behind the story concepts. Well, maybe Saya Kisaragi will turn out to be the alternate timeline clone of the daughter of Saya Otonashi and the Saya from Blood: the Last Vampire. Then we can have a lot of yuri angst.

Looking forward to it anyway. Just one more week. If you're going to follow it for free, make sure you watch the episode within 1 week of its premier, because the episodes will be moved to premium afterwards. [1]

Episode Discussion Index
Episode 01
Episode 02
Episode 03
Episode 04
Episode 05
Episode 06
Episode 07
Episode 08
Episode 09
Episode 10
Episode 11
Episode 12

Last edited by Raftina on Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:26 pm; edited 12 times in total
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:17 pm Reply with quote
It will also be found that the Saya at the beginning of the series is actually a clone of the original Saya, who is in turn the daughter of the Saya from Blood+. However, she wont know this because during events that occurred before the start of the story, Clone Saya sacrificed her memories in order to have the power to travel dimensions! Er... or something.

At least she'll be wearing nice clothes and have cool hair.
swienke

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:30 am Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
It will also be found that the Saya at the beginning of the series is actually a clone of the original Saya, who is in turn the daughter of the Saya from Blood+. However, she wont know this because during events that occurred before the start of the story, Clone Saya sacrificed her memories in order to have the power to travel dimensions! Er... or something.

Is it bad that that actually makes total sense to me? Shocked Laughing

I apparently read way to much CLAMP to be healthy.
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:16 am Reply with quote
I might be completely wrong, and I know the premiere is supposed to take place next week, but... I am quite sure that while browsing different websites, I have already seen the first episode out?

I gave it a quick glance, and Saya does not seem to be Saya- similar but different, quite strange.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:56 am Reply with quote
Very much enjoyed the first eppie. I'm a huge fan of all the Blood stuff, regardless of incarnation. There is a sweet tone in this one that I'm sure will grate on some peeps, but I like it - especially since it's clear the light will be contrasted with the dark. But it's got all that usual Production I.G visual sweetness so I'm happy as a clam so far.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:53 am Reply with quote
Yes, behold Blood-C and despair is right. I was planning on watching it on Niconico, but happened across first ep. It was pretty terrible to me, all the way from the art to the character of Saya. Maybe the first ep is supposed to be a big fake out, so I'll give it another episode or two and see if anything changes. If not this is a big disappointment to me.
bravetailor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:59 am Reply with quote
I don't know, I kinda like the designs from what I've seen. Sure, maybe this franchise shouldn't be remade to death so often, but a shoujo-esque artistic take on Saya and co isn't necessarily bad by itself.
Raftina

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:57 am Reply with quote
Huh... interesting that the first episode is already floating around. I couldn't resist going to take a peek. There are some interesting trends across the 3 series:

Saya 1: berserk killer
Saya 2: high school jock
Saya 3: dojikko
Conclusion: The Sayas have been getting less badass at first glance.

Saya 1: vaguely Asian girl in Vietnam with a Japanese sword
Saya 2: apparently Japanese high school student living in Okinawa
Saya 3: Yamato high school student training to be a miko
Conclusion: The Sayas have been getting more and more Japanese.

Saya 1: spoiler[berserk]
Saya 2: spoiler[gradually learns to be a vampire slayer]
Saya 3: spoiler[apparently life long training to be an exorcist]
Conclusion: spoiler[The Sayas have been getting more and more professional about slaying evil.]

It's hard to form an impression of the series from just one episode, though CLAMP's character designs are already grating on me. Then again, Code Geass suggests that the CLAMP designs are certainly not an insurmountable barrier for me to like the show. The substitution of bat-like monsters for... whatever that statue was supposed to be is annoying though.

bravetailor wrote:
maybe this franchise shouldn't be remade to death so often

Er?
Blood: the Last Vampire: 2000
Blood+: 2005
Blood-C: 2011
Is that too soon? I suppose, if they were remakes, but these are really tangentially related titles sharing a franchise name and a heroine named Saya who fights monsters with a katana-like weapon. This is a common practice in video games with much closer title spacing, e.g. Legend of Zelda, Final Fantasy, etc. It's also been done in anime, e.g. Gundam. I don't see it is a problem.
A Mystery

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 1:52 pm Reply with quote
Juuust a small question: I don't need to watch the other series in order to like/get this one, right? ANN doesn't list it as a sequel.
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:23 pm Reply with quote
@A Mystery
No, the new series has got nothing to do with the previous one except for the name of the main character and the fact that she is good with sword.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:56 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Saya 1: berserk killer
Saya 2: high school jock
Saya 3: dojikko
Conclusion: The Sayas have been getting less badass at first glance.

At first glance Blood+ had Saya trouncing though a village during the Vietnam war killing soldiers and random civilians. I am not sure if Saya- will have a berserk past or reason for having 2-3 personalities that she readily switches between.

I don't know i CLAMP will have more similarities to the movie Saya in later episodes. All I can say right now is that CLAMP has a fetish for twins.
Mister V

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:22 pm Reply with quote
This version of Saya is definitely on my "characters I want to strangle" list; though to be fair, it's the writers' fault. It's simply incredible to see Production IG turn the franchise that started with a (pretty average, but still not bad at all) movie by Mamoru Oshii into this.
Clamp designs, too... consistently skimming uncanny valley.
Eivion

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:15 am Reply with quote
Wasn't fond of Saya's clumsiness, but otherwise I didn't have too much of a problem with her. Thought the designs were ok. I've generally been ok with everything I've seen from CLAMP so far aside from the X movie so I'm curious to see where this one goes. Anyways didn't think this was a terrible episode, but not a particularly good one either. I was expecting more plot or something a little more interesting as far as world building goes.
anime racket

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:31 pm Reply with quote
Blood-C as in Blood-Clamp eh?

Well I've been pretty happy with their work so far and I don't see
anything to make me feel as if this is going to be any different.
Still, I would like to see them making another megafranchise along
the lines of Cardcaptor Sakura or Tsubasa rather than working on
someone else's story.
John Casey

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:47 pm Reply with quote
Well, now I'm convinced that this is just another CLAMP shitfest.

The power of Christ compels you! The power of Christ compels you! *hiss*
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 12