• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: A Certain Magical Index: The Miracle of Endymion BD+DVD

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:09 pm Reply with quote
Theron Martin wrote:
− Tries to juggle too many balls, weak on explanation, development, and logic.

Isn't this the staple of the Index and Railgun franchises?
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:25 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
Theron Martin wrote:

Not in Railgun, no, but it is a problem with Index, and even then, it never got as bad as in this movie.
Stiles

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:49 pm Reply with quote
I dunno, I've never had a problem following the plot of Index, be it in the anime, the novels or this movie.

As I understand it, this movie is indeed part of the established canon. So other than that, I'd say this is a pretty fair review. It's not a perfect work, but at least it does a better job of staying on track than Railgun usually does, even if it does have a bit too much on its plate.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:52 pm Reply with quote
I'd probably rate the movie a little higher, but yeah, this is essentially a serviceable movie for existing fans, but that is about it. I just hope that this isn't the last animated Index content that we'll see.
Izanagi009

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:16 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, this movie is a bit of a mess

I kind of like it but while with even the most complex magic in Index, I am able to understand the inspiration and mechanics of it, this one got so little explanation the joke "because magic" is literal here.

As for the characters, Touma was still his stupid but heroic self, Index remains mostly useless, Misaka's gang is fun to watch and the Academy city tech still impresses especially the space elevator for someone who plans to do carbon nanotube research for cables.

Honestly, I would only recommend this for people who love the Indexverse because this really doesn't make any sense.

P.S. I noticed there was no section discussing the Japanese dubbing. May I ask why especially since there is a rating for the sub.
Izanagi009

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:17 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
I'd probably rate the movie a little higher, but yeah, this is essentially a serviceable movie for existing fans, but that is about it. I just hope that this isn't the last animated Index content that we'll see.

Yeah, we haven't gotten to the really insane stuff from the novels like spoiler[a magic god rewriting the universe over and over to break Touma and implications of gods invading Academy City]
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:19 pm Reply with quote
If one views the film as an independent piece of work, then yes, the logic and exposition will appear as lackluster and confusing. But if it is viewed as part of the To Aru-verse, then the backstory and explanation is already there.

Now, one can argue that as a self-contained IP, it needs to be able to provide all the necessary information to its viewers, so they won't be lost in the plot and context of the events, and that is a valid point. However, (and I don't try to absolve the film for it) this film was never stated as being set in a difference place, or focusing on a different group of people, in the To Aru-verse. It's no different than most other franchise-related films (like The Last: Naruto the Movie or Psycho-Pass: The Movie) - the film-makers aim to existing fans of the franchise, and expect them to come with enough knowledge on the setting and characters of the established world so they don't (and won't) need an elaborate explanation, but maybe just a quick refresher.

On the flip-side, movies like Sidonia no Kishi: The Movie, Aoki Hagane no Arpeggio: Ars Nova DC, or the Berserk movie trilogy are meant to attract new fans by recapping the previous events and the overall plot to bring them up to speed - usually towards a new entry in the respective series.

On the issue of the lack of clear plot on the actions of the new characters: while I agree that their development could've used a little touch-up, it was sufficient for me to somewhat understand their motives - and staying true to the franchise's nature of not revealing all the cards, and that the author considers the film to be a canonical entry in the franchise, I wasn't as hang-up on the somewhat nebulous backstories as I would've with other shows. Call it not-minding-the-details since i'm a fan, or because I'm optimistic that more will be revealed later Razz

My opinion is that if someone is a fan of the franchise, they'll find the movie enjoyable, understandable, and logical within the established universe, and they should buy it. If someone is a occasional watcher of the series, or someone who lost interest due the relatively slow release schedule of new entries in the franchise (come on J.C. Staff, Index III needs to happen!), then a rental would be the better choice for them. As for the rest - those who lost interest due to the story, characters, settings or other as well as those without prior knowledge of the series - shouldn't watch the movie, it probably won't win back those who left, and it is too engrossed in its pre-established story and characters for uninformed people to understand the plot.
Izanagi009

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:19 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
Theron Martin wrote:

To reiterate, even with the most convoluted and insane arcs, I can still understand what the characters are doing, the motivations, the mechanics of how the powers and magic work and the growth that they go through.

This has none of that and makes people go blank.
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:19 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Most of the Extras are a collection of trailers and promotional videos for the movie, but it does have a full audio commentary featuring all of the lead English cast except Mikoto's Brittney Karbowski, who was apparently giving birth the day it was recorded.

Oh snap! Congrats to her then!
malvarez1

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:33 pm Reply with quote
I agree with everything this review said. I found the film to be a huge disappointment, and I'm a huge Index/Railgun fan.

Still, I hope it sold well. I still need Index III.
Calculus20

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:47 pm Reply with quote
Well, there was a light novel released with the movie that Japanese moviegoers obtained called Road to Endymion. It acts as a sort of prequel novel to the movie and fills in some of the loose ends the movie doesn't really explore. I think there's a fan translation floating somewhere on the internet.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:10 pm Reply with quote
Hey. I could have written this review. Except I would have given even higher marks on the background artwork. In some places on super-high-res display gear it is quite stunning.
Hameyadea wrote:
My opinion is that if someone is a fan of the franchise, they'll find the movie enjoyable, understandable, and logical within the established universe, and they should buy it.

This sums it up pretty well.
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:40 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
except Mikoto's Brittney Karbowski, who was apparently giving birth the day it was recorded.

I know this is off topic but this is legitimately surprising. And here I was thinking that finding out about Youko Honna being pregnant six months in was crazy.
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:49 pm Reply with quote
SquadmemberRitsu wrote:
I know this is off topic but this is legitimately surprising. And here I was thinking that finding out about Youko Honna being pregnant six months in was crazy.

I noticed some veteran voice actors have lately been getting either married or pregnant. I know Colleen Clinkenbeard was pregnant while recording fr Season 6 of One Piece and Cherami Leigh got married right after auditioning for a part on Sailor Moon. Off-topic, I know. But it's an interesting series of coincidental events.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:48 pm Reply with quote
Hypeathon wrote:
SquadmemberRitsu wrote:

I noticed some veteran voice actors have lately been getting either married or pregnant. I know Colleen Clinkenbeard was pregnant while recording fr Season 6 of One Piece and Cherami Leigh got married right after auditioning for a part on Sailor Moon. Off-topic, I know. But it's an interesting series of coincidental events.

Damn. I have been getting beaten out of the picture. Every time.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2