• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: A Certain Magical Index: The Miracle of Endymion BD+DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:05 pm Reply with quote
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:

Isn't this the staple of the Index and Railgun franchises?

Not in Railgun, no, but it is a problem with Index, and even then, it never got as bad as in this movie.

the movie's storyline is not that complicated if your catholic. put it simply its kind of like the modern day versions of the main villain trying to recreate the tower of babel which according to religion history is the reason why god alter the speaking language of some people. could they have done better yea. but this is a filler movie after all. it would only have been a problem if some of those characters including styil's students were cannon characters from the light novels. and compared to other movies based of anime series (I'm talking to you Hetalia & Blue Gender) this movie is kind of a blessing. sure its a rental at best just like some others , but its definitely will be a good rental. especially fans of the series.

{Edit: Please don't over-quote. Thanks. ~ Psycho 101}
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
natchu96

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:09 am Reply with quote
Izanagi009 wrote:
Yeah, this movie is a bit of a mess

I kind of like it but while with even the most complex magic in Index, I am able to understand the inspiration and mechanics of it, this one got so little explanation the joke "because magic" is literal here.

It's not magic though, so it isn't "literally" because magic. If it was spoiler[Arisa would've died the moment Touma touched her even once.]

It's a (few dozen) miracle(s) Very Happy

Yeah, still lame but hey, considering how religion-based magic systems and personal realities work, brutally skewed but apparently natural dumb luck is probably a given existence.
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:32 pm Reply with quote
To me I was fine with about 2/3rds of the movie in just being popcorn entertainment, but not only was the last act too fast moving for it's own good (resulting in only one good action sequence (which was just Misaka rolling in with my least favorite character ever) the "explanation" we got for for Arisa was so stupid it actually made me mad. Yeah this series has had TONS of cases of hokey writing and mechanics but it never really annoyed me before! It is the best the index side of things has ever looked (which of course gets poured into railgun because that's all anyone gives two shits about Rolling Eyes) and I hope it gets continued into it's constantly delayed but *hopefully* inevitable 3rd season.... ugh I'm depressing myself...
OH&S

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 3:36 am Reply with quote
Urgh. I can't say I was looking forward to this review. I remember Theron saying over a year ago about how it was the worst entry in the anime franchise and the review shows that his opinion has stayed the same. I can't say much to disagree with him; this movie has a buttload of problems.

While it was a nice gesture to the fanbase to squeeze in as many side characters in as possible, it didn't do a great lot for the film. There were some nice references to the light novels and manga continuity-wise with Kuroko in a wheelchair and Kongou referencing an event that occurs in the Railgun manga not yet animated.

Unfortunately, the scenes in the film didn't flow properly. There were clearly some scenes and explanation taken out. In fact, the manga adaptation does a better job felshing out some of the details; though only slightly.

When I watched it the first time around, I truly enjoyed it but only because I hadn't seen these characters animated or in the story for a long time. Now I treat this movie in the same league as the Silent Party Arc in Railgun S: a showcase of the series it represents' problems all lumped together; Endymion for Index and Silent Party for Railgun.

I guess I'll just address negative point:

Quote:
− Tries to juggle too many balls, weak on explanation, development, and logic.

The thing is, there is a logic to the story. As long as you know how the magic in the series works, most of it makes sense. The problem is that the film does a terrible job of portraying it. It tried to go with a "show, don't tell" approach to the movie but didn't realize that it directly clashes with Kamachi's style. In fact, the Index anime as a whole is terrible at explaining things. It wasn't until I read the light novels that I understood how magic worked and why everything in the series made near perfect sense.

Things like what Ladylee's motivation was, how she became immortal, why she needed Arisa, what the purpose of those two aides was, why Endymion was important to the magic side, why the saint number that was assigned to Arisa was important, why Kanzaki could defy logic in space, what Shutaura's esper ability was: all of this is information that fans know the answers to through knowledge from the source material and movie interviews that the movie should have explained properly; but didn't.

Lastly, the whole ending is probably the most confusing event in the entirety of the franchise. Still not sure what happened there because once again, the movie tried a show, don't tell approach and failed at it. What makes this worse is the whole concept of the miracle at play. That was something that the director and staff introduced themselves from which Kamachi wrote around. The entire concept is just completely incompatible with the series. The result is: as has already been said: ...weak on explanation... and logic.

As for whether this is canon... Yes with an IF...; No with a BUT... Just think of it as canon, with potential for a few namedrops here and there, but ultimately won't be touched upon again.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:11 am Reply with quote
SquadmemberRitsu wrote:
Quote:
except Mikoto's Brittney Karbowski, who was apparently giving birth the day it was recorded.

I know this is off topic but this is legitimately surprising. And here I was thinking that finding out about Youko Honna being pregnant six months in was crazy.

It's easy to forget that they have lives outside of acting, especially since things like this don't exactly make the headlines. I think one of the most surprising things to come out of a commentary for me was finding out that Chuck Huber has six kids.
BringBackUzume

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:29 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
SquadmemberRitsu wrote:

I know this is off topic but this is legitimately surprising. And here I was thinking that finding out about Youko Honna being pregnant six months in was crazy.

It's easy to forget that they have lives outside of acting, especially since things like this don't exactly make the headlines. I think one of the most surprising things to come out of a commentary for me was finding out that Chuck Huber has six kids.

You should hear some of the stories he tells at Conventions. Chuck Huber also used to be a principal of a school. And that was while he was recording for Android 17.

Aside from that, I haven't really delved into the RailDex series yet, so should I watch those before getting to the movie, or can the movie support itself? Honest question. I've seen about 4 episodes of A Certain Magical Index Season 1 all together.
OH&S

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:35 am Reply with quote
BringBackUzume wrote:
Aside from that, I haven't really delved into the RailDex series yet, so should I watch those before getting to the movie, or can the movie support itself? Honest question. I've seen about 4 episodes of A Certain Magical Index Season 1 all together.

The movie definitely can't support itself. Best to watch the anime series first.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:10 am Reply with quote
BringBackUzume wrote:

Consider the movie an Expert Fan Only view. You will have a hard time following it or keeping track of all of the characters if you have not seen at least the first entire seasons of both Index and Railgun. (And why Kuroko is in the wheelchair or the references to her just getting out of the hospital won't make sense if you haven't seen at least the first half of S2 of Index.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2