• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - Cover Story

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
varmintx

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 1:58 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:

Two others that I often point to in this kind of discussion are Madoka Magica and Daphne in the Brilliant Blue. The former did not really impress me much until the pivotal event at the end of episode 3, while the latter was only corny and mediocre until its true and surprisingly compelling plot finally kicked in around the middle of the series.

Madoka would be the big one for me. Despite having no interest in a magical girl show, I watched the first episode on the strength of the recommendations from the Preview Guide. My reaction to it was exactly what I thought it would be: very well made, but obviously not for me. It was months later after finishing Penguindrum, the show that I assumed would be getting all the high praise while people were still going on and on about how good Madoka was, that I decided to give it another try.

After my second time through the series, I changed my score from a 9 to a 10. I assume I'll be making such a score change to the aforementioned Penguindrum whenever I get the time (and courage) to re-watch it.
Roxas4ever

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 2:00 pm Reply with quote
Samurai Flamenco was such a weird series, but I can't help but look back on it fondly. I really liked the beginning of it, when it was just an idealistic fanboy trying to become a super hero, and I was super put off when there started to be random monsters and what not, but the show kept evolving even beyond that. It was such an interesting show that took a ton of tropes of the genre and embraced them before dumping them on their heads. The last episode was particularly fantastic.
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 2:39 pm Reply with quote
Wow, thanks for the Mizushima shout-out! Sometimes I feel like the only person out there who loves almost everything that guy does. Glad to know there's somebody else out there who appreciates him! I had no idea that "Girls Und Panzer" was by him, though, so I'm going to need to check it out.
Touma

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Mikeski wrote:
I'll add "Cat Planet Cuties" and "Bodacious Space Pirates". Even without those corny English titles ...

I think that "Cat Planet Cuties" is a good title for a show featuring cute girls from planet Catia. And it is no more corny than the alternative Japanese title of "Bombshells from the Sky." And it is more descriptive and meaningful than "We've Come to Play."

"Bodacious Space Pirates" actually is the alternative Japanese title. It even appears, in English, as part of the logo for the title in the anime and on the Japanese web site for the show.

Both of the titles in question make me want to watch the show. Unfortunately I have not had a chance to see either of them yet.
But I want to even more because of this:
Quote:
... there's some decent sci-fi in there.

Cute girls and science fiction is a winning combination for me.

As for the article, it does make me want to check out the shows that are featured. I have not tried any of them yet.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 4:16 pm Reply with quote
Great choice in mentioning Kiddy Grade, Splitter. That show really became something special.

Tweeny Witches was great, the title might make it qualify but yeah thankfully the awesome art style hinted at what a good show it would be.

I too was hooked on Scrapped Princess right from the start, loved that show, actually the spoiler[amnesia bit ] was really the only part of the entire show I didn't care for. Thanks to that great show I also ended up really looking forward to Chaika - The Coffin Princess, which I also really liked a lot outside of the sadly super-rushed ending which was made even more ashame by how well they'd been able to do the ending of the first season of the show.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 4:41 pm Reply with quote
I've learned to stay clear of anime with that balloony font in the title card, especially if it's rendered in rainbow colors. Sometimes I get fooled, but I can always go back and correct that. Madoka, which you'd think would be an exception to the rule, actually turned out to follow it. I couldn't make it past the "game-changing" episode 3, tried again with the movies, hoping a condensed form would help me get through it, but I just never got the appeal. C'est la vie. Smile

Girls Und Panzer is another one that really seems like it's not my thing, but I still intend to give it a look one day, given how many people love it whose opinions I respect.

I watched all of SF, but since I'm not a tokusatsu fan anyway, all its parody and commentary on the various genres it tripped out into still never managed to win back my love lost after the disaster of episode 8.

Toradora also never seemed like my thing, but this article makes me want to put it in my to-watch backlog. Smile
KH91

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 5:30 pm Reply with quote
Awesome for mentioning Samurai Flamenco. GG is the GOAT. I still laugh at that.
unready

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Mike Toole wrote:
One of her teammates wears a German army desert jacket and officer's hat; before her character is named, I started mentally referring to her as “Rommel-chan.” Then I learned her real name: Erwin.

Her real name wasn't Erwin. They called that her "soul" name. Just like the team lead wasn't really named Caesar. Basically the StuG team were military history geeks and gave each other soul names. (Yes, they call them soul names, too.)

In the Anzio OVA, we learned that Caesar's real name was spoiler[Takako.] I don't think we ever learn the real names of the other history geeks in the TV series. The Wikipedia article has their real names, presumably derived from the follow-on manga.

Anyway, my reaction to Girls und Panzer was similar. I gave up after the first episode and had to be coaxed back into watching it. The characters are (mostly) a collection of stereotypes seemingly designed to guarantee at least one of them would be your "type," no matter who you are. The plot is a straight line. But the tank battles are cool. Watch it for the tanks. Eventually, the fact that they're driven by high school girls becomes irrelevant.
Random 21

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 6:08 pm Reply with quote
Glad to see the Samumenco love, sometimes I need to be reminded that I'm not the only SamFlam fan in the world. The show was always the highlight of my week, and sits comfortably in my top 20. I can understand why there's a lot of hate for it, but it's a shame, since I adored every moment of it.

Other shows I brushed off at first would be this season's Maria The Virgin Witch, which was a surprise hit for me, and even Death Parade, since I really didn't think much to it when I first saw it, but was hooked the moment I saw episode 1.
princess passa passa

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 6:42 pm Reply with quote
Samurai Flamenco is clearly one of those polarizing shows. I have yet to find a review that feels meh about this show, is either they flat out hate it or love it. I still have it on my to watch list for some time now, still debating whether I should take the plunge.
Mikeski

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 7:01 pm Reply with quote
Touma wrote:
Mikeski wrote:
I'll add "Cat Planet Cuties" and "Bodacious Space Pirates". Even without those corny English titles ...

I think that "Cat Planet Cuties" is a good title for a show featuring cute girls from planet Catia. And it is no more corny than the alternative Japanese title of "Bombshells from the Sky." And it is more descriptive and meaningful than "We've Come to Play."

"Bodacious Space Pirates" actually is the alternative Japanese title. It even appears, in English, as part of the logo for the title in the anime and on the Japanese web site for the show.

No disagreement. A title can be simultaneously good, accurate, and corny. (And it's not like more-accurate versions for BSP are any better... "Go-getter space pirates", or "Miniskirt pirates" to match the light novels.)

But if you told a non-anime sci-fi fan the title of either show, would they be more likely to mentally file it with "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress", or with "Plan 9 From Outer Space"?
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 7:34 pm Reply with quote
Samurai Flamenco was great until the actual monsters showed up, ruining a great premise for just an ordinary animated toku show.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
eely225

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:34 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The classic Kimagure Orange Road, while never a personal favorite, was weirdly good at making me nostalgic for my youth in Yokohama, an impressive feat considering I've never been there.

I won't lie; I laughed out loud.

All the titles Mike mentioned are great examples. Another title I tend toward in the not-cover-judging category is Infinite Ryvius. Just looking at character designs, descriptions, stills of the mecha and battleships, and the set up from the first episode, it seemed like it would be really cheesy and predictable. But that show turned the tables a lot of times in a lot of ways, and ended up being one of my favorites.
phia_one

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:06 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised that I made it six episodes in to Samurai Flamenco. The characters were just too annoying for my tastes. The only thing that got me through Girls und Panzer were the tank battles.

I definitely agree with the few posters that brought up Tweeny Witches. The series had a charming quality to it from the characters to the animation. Thought I do admit that I was a little disappointed that it spoiler[didn't just stick to catching all the different types of fairies.]

I'd also like to mention Pumpkin Scissors. I kept putting it off for years and then finally decided to watch it. I finished it in two days. I loved the post WWI atmosphere and found the characters to be very likable.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:06 pm Reply with quote
Michael Toole wrote:
[...]is much more of a sports show than a “cute girls with alarmingly realistic munitions” show

Pretty much hit the nail on its head with that one.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4