• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sound! Euphonium (TV + movies + OAV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GeminiDS85

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 7:59 am Reply with quote
Finally got around to watching the first episode and I burst out laughing when I heard the story takes place in Uji. For anyone that doesn’t know, the Kyoto Animation studio office is in Uji in Kyoto Prefecture, so most of the scenes in the first episode are literally within walking distance of the studio.

Here is a link for some 聖地巡礼 (seichi junrei/ pilgrimages to holy places) for the first episode.

Another fun fact: The station the girls are shown in, in the first episode, is Rokujizo, which is on the Keihan Line. The Keihan Line ends at Demachiyanagi in Kyoto City, which is the location of the 商店街 (shoutengai/ shopping district) that Tamako Market is based on.

Shikiari wrote:
Episode 1The scene with the cherry/ plum blossoms was wonderful.

Just for your general knowledge, plum blossom are blooming in late February and early March in most areas of Japan while cherry blossoms bloom in the last week of March and first week of April. Therefore, the timing of the first episode was perfect because it aired last week when the new semester starts for schools in Japan and it also coincided with the cherry blossoms blooming in Kyoto/Uji.
Stark700

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:47 pm Reply with quote
Episode 2:

Interesting episode overall as it introduced the spoiler[adviser/teacher. I really wonder how much the series will explore Kousaka/Kumiko's relationship though and their past.]

I think it was obvious that spoiler[Kumiko would have to play the euph though given the nature of this series. And regarding the Nationals, I think perhaps the first half of the series will concentrate on their training? I smell competition and that will probably bring the best out of these characters.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shikiari

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:29 pm Reply with quote
Episode 2

I think it's almost certain that spoiler[Kumiko and Kousaka] will bond closer together over the next few 'training' episodes.

spoiler[Asuka is absolutely 'off her trolley'] which makes me like her quite a bit as a character. Definitely had some laugh out loud moments this time.

The art design and scenery is mighty fantastic, it looks as though KyoAni have continued where they left off with Amagi Brilliant Park. I'm looking forward to hearing some music next week, if training is on the cards.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:13 am Reply with quote
Episode 2

I like Asuka, she is a good kind of crazy.

Kumiko is a really interesting female lead, her umming and arring really match a teenager who wants to maybe do something a little different but ends up being drawn back in. I do continue to think she shares more in common with characters like Kyon, Oreki, Yuuta, Akihito and Tomoya, than she does with characters like Tamako, Yui, Chitanda, Mirai, and Rikka.
Stark700

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:47 pm Reply with quote
Episode 3:

Yup, this band definitely needs a bit of room for improvement.spoiler[ I think their teacher was being honest and harsh at the same time. Anyways, I want to see how much they will improve over the course of the series especially Kumiko and Sapphire.]

Kousaka's playing for spoiler['From New World' is quite something though this episode.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:51 pm Reply with quote
Ep 1-3
Brr...Sensei is way colder than I imagined him to be. *shiver*

This show is going to be the next Hyouka for me; way more interested in character and themes than just being cute. The whole 'have fun' vs 'gets serious' in music anime (or even sports) has never been so heavily focused on before so I truly appreciate how Sound! is handling such delicate emotions for high school students.

Hearing spoiler["From the New World"] from Kousaka makes me wonder if she'sspoiler[ pinning for her friendship with Kumiko since they explained it about a man longing for his home country.] Still feel bad Kumiko can only play Euphorium (total opposite of how Haruka only wanted to swim freestyle) but perhaps that will change later on. Hopefully the band can get truly get together on some solid ground.
A Mystery

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Ep 1-3
Brr...Sensei is way colder than I imagined him to be. *shiver*

My new crush Twisted Evil. Show them naughty kids!

Kinda like this show, the characters seem somewhat layered, skills and playing in a 'team' need hard work and all.
TRNielson

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:04 pm Reply with quote
Episode 3:

That teacher spoiler[is one hell of an ice cold hardass. It's a different kind of man that can literally tell you how much you suck while still keeping a sincere smile on his face. His interactions with the band are gonna be worth keeping an eye on.]

This episode left me torn on who my favorite character is: Asuka or Kousaka. Asuka is just straight up entertaining, always stealing the show whenever she's on. But spoiler[seeing how much Kousaka wants to excel and be the best and how torn up she gets when no else wants to, really can't help but sympathize with her.]

Overall, an absolutely solid episode that pushed Sound! Euphonium as my top show of the season.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Filthy casuals, always ruining everything Laughing
Shikiari

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:11 pm Reply with quote
Episode 3

What a great episode and those last few minutes with spoiler[Kōsaka playing 'From New World']... just wow!

As for Noboru-sensei, well he's just so cool I bet he keeps milk in his back pocket. Why waste the energy to spoiler[change your expression when you can just tell the class how much they suck with a smile on your face.]

Still, my favourite is still currently Kumiko and her gloriously mesmerising curls of hair.

xifeng.hu
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:33 pm Reply with quote
As a band geek I can totally feel for them. spoiler[A lot of the members don't want to put in the effort in to be good. A few do and they just have to get along.] It was the same for me in high school. Only about 15 or so people in the band really cared about being good (and this was in the top ensemble in the school). We were able to go out and do solo competitions and audition for other youth music programs though. spoiler[I was extremely surprised they were teaching circular breathing. Most professionals I know don't even do it. I think the clarinet great Eddie Daniels (one of the best clarinetists in the world) didn't learn how to circular breathe until AFTER he went pro. I've been playing clarinet for over a decade at up to the state level and no one I have met can circular breathe.]
spoiler[I find it interesting how two anime in two seasons used "largo" from "From the New World" aka "New World Symphony" (the other being Cross Ange). They both used the english horn melody too.]
Also the detail in the animation of when their playing surprises me. spoiler[In the opening and when they show the trumpets they show them using the left hand tuning slides]
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:45 pm Reply with quote
If they don't want to put the effort in, why join the band at all?

It is an interesting mirror to K-ON. In K-ON the girls mostly just goofed off and rarely practiced, but they were still decent enough. Here goofing off has consequences.
TRNielson

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:56 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:

It is an interesting mirror to K-ON. In K-ON the girls mostly just goofed off and rarely practiced, but they were still decent enough. Here goofing off has consequences.

I imagine most of them just wanted something fun to do.

I highly doubt that all but one of them want to go for Nationals. It's more likely that when many of them started raising their hands for it, the ones who didn't want to go for Nationals raised their hands anyways for fear of being seen as outcasts. It has been scientifically proven that people are likely to agree to something they don't like simply because everyone else does.
meiam

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:25 am Reply with quote
Glad the anime quality didn't degrade following the first few episode, still solid.

That teacher, we really need more like him in schools. Although I'm not quite sure how teacher and club activity are handle, but doing more ground work would help.

Seems to me like the obvious solution is to kick out anyone who half ass it even if it means missing key piece. From there you can rebuilt by slowly re-admitting people, few at a time and with a form of audition over the years. If the core is enthusiast and never skip practice, the more casual will feel the pressure to keep up. But if they stay in the half-ass state, it'll be hard to leave it.

Really at this point my only wish is that they don't magically turn into amazing player and make the national.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:02 am Reply with quote
TRNielson wrote:
Vaisaga wrote:

I imagine most of them just wanted something fun to do.

I highly doubt that all but one of them want to go for Nationals. It's more likely that when many of them started raising their hands for it, the ones who didn't want to go for Nationals raised their hands anyways for fear of being seen as outcasts. It has been scientifically proven that people are likely to agree to something they don't like simply because everyone else does.

Pretty much. Nobody wants to be that person who stands up and says: "No, I don't care, let's just screw around". Especially when a bunch of others are really serious about things. But yeah, the truth is that's how a ton of people are gonna feel. They really don't care if they're any good. They aren't really interested in working hard to develop their musical ability. They're just there to hang out with friends, have some fun and generally to have something to do. And I don't actually think that's wrong to be honest. It's an unfortunate conflict with those who are interested in seriously developing their musical ability but I feel like it's actually pretty unfair for those serious people to claim the moral high ground like everyone is wrong for not taking this as serious as they do.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 22