• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
My Love Story (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:51 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I guess it would have been unfair to Takeo with his position and how he thinks of her. Hopefully she let go a bit.

Oda really is not that bad, he actually stepped in to stop the hypnotism on Ai so she would not reveal more personal information, and looks like he might have been compelled to settle the Takeo situation because he that it was causing her pain, making her cry.
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:59 am Reply with quote
Episode 15:

Well it's about time but they are introducing Mariya Saijou into this show. While not as pretty as Ai imo, I think she is still cute and it looks like she developed a crush on Takeo. I don't think she is much of a competition though. So far, Takeo seems her more like an apprentice rather than a girlfriend.

Good episode overall. Loved the way the expressions and comedy were done.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:38 am Reply with quote
That girl is crushing on Takeo, well more girls had to find out how great a guy he was, but his own interest is very loyal. At the very least she does not seem bad, no need for some crazy fight with them.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:10 am Reply with quote
Takeo & Yamato sure are opposite, but thy're great together!
That relay opened up new possibilities.
It sure was fun watching it!
Looks like Yamato might get some competition.
Saijou developed some interesting feelings.
And here come the doubts and worries..
Luckily everything nicely fell into place.
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:28 pm Reply with quote
Episode 16:

That was fun. Takeo, Yamato, and Saijou out for some fun while enjoying food. I just loved Saijou's chemistry with the both of them.

Lost count the # of times that Takeo admitted to himself that he loves Yamato lol. Saijou is an interesting character though, at least in trying to build relationships with others in particular with Takeo. I think the answer he gave to Saijou was obvious though from the start.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:37 am Reply with quote
Episode 16

That was handled maturely. Saijou was able to straight out say that she indeed had a crush on Takeo. It clearly was not going to happen for her, but the way things were was not only not quite fair to the couple, but it was bad for herself. Suna was a man for helping move the situation on. And really I do like Saijou's character, her with Yamato was a good part.

Takeo kind of realised that his reassuring that he is not popular with girls really was not the right the answer to Yamato's worries. Instead he needed to say it was that he loved her fully, and that even if someone else liked him, Yamato is his choice.
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:32 am Reply with quote
Blarmb wrote:
What in the world are you going on about? If the show has never at all shamed sex/sexuality. Certainly Takeo himself is something of a conservative stiff in that regard but it's only ever been framed as a problem.

Also how in the world can morality be "fake"? I can't even figure out how that statement would make any sense.

There is not much simpler than that statement, and it makes perfect sense. Whole narrative of this show about "purity" in Takeo's mind and actions is brainwashing of viewers into this harmful "morality" that manipulates youth into thinking that sex is impure. And yes, this "morality" is fake, because only things that are harmful to others can be immoral. Sex (let alone thoughts of sex; lust in general) is the purest, perfectly moral thing.

I have already mentioned that I hate when almost all girls in anime depicted to have cub-feet syndrome (this illness is not that wide spread at all) just because someone weird thought it was cute, but by Episode 15 the show went to another cliche curse of anime -- it is when authors make to girls to fall for no reason (I have seen a lot of girls during physical exercises and none of them ever fell just out of the blue).

Both things are quite insulting (though, of course, most probably not intentional), but due to Japanese society's conservatism authors feel it is all right to use those cliche.

Big lad's male friend is the one of the saddest characters I have seen for some time.

He is said to be popular among girls, but besides being cute truly popular lads must have charisma. But this one is just introvert that does not want relationships (like many in Japan), nor he wants casual sex; or he is not really interested in women at all.

So the way this show presents the lad is not believable, what subtracts from a story (but not much since he is a side character).
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:31 pm Reply with quote
I read an article on The Mary Sue that suggested Suna might be asexual, and was grateful for the representation. I personally think he's just young and wants to focus on school. In either case, I don't think he's unrealistic at all. He's a great character and adds a lot to the show.

The only thing that bothered me about this arc is that Rinko said she and Mariya Saijou can no longer be friends. Why? Sure, it'd be a little awkward at first, but there's nothing to keep them from being friends, especially if Saijou wants to continue a platonic relationship with Takeo. C'mon, show! You've skewered so many tropes! Destroy the one that says "two girls attracted to the same guy can't be friends!"
marakoneczek

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:37 am Reply with quote
Gonna watch all this anime <3
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:28 pm Reply with quote
Episode 17:

Holy, this episode was beautiful. The confession at the end was casual and amusing just like I had expected from a guy like Kurihara. However, the setup of the episode with the Christmas mood and execution was phenomenal.

Nice to see the show focus more on just Takeo/Yamato this week.

Wonderful.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:46 pm Reply with quote
Christmas party!
A new love story in the making.
spoiler[Kurihara x Nanako].
Felt kinda one sided...
That is until spoiler[Takeo interfered and gave a wake up call to Kurihara.]
Sweet episode end ^^
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:14 am Reply with quote
Episode 17

Felt kind of embarrassing to watch the whole Kuriha and Nanako thing, but I think that was kind of the point. They were kind of awkward and quite different from Takeo and Yamato, but that is completely fine. Kuriha's loud mouth thing was indeed a part of what was embarrassing. But it was classic guy acting like that because he is afraid of coming across like he is being sneaky, so he loudly telegraphs to show interest without feeling exposed. From my understanding is done so able to backtrack if called out as unwanted interest, but I guess it gives insecurity over it to her. Nanako I found quite entertaining, kind of stoic, but I thought her fun, especially with how she clashed with Kuriha.

Also, loved that when Suna got the wooden bear my automatic response was that it had to be from Takeo.
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:07 am Reply with quote
Agent355:

"Asexual" -- great option to explore. If this is the case, I wish authors would explicitly develop this theme, at least at certain point. People should not be compelled to be any type of sexuality or asexuality or whatever, and others have to learn that people who asexual are not some weird creatures but basically usual people except for this specific aspect. Then it would be for all sides to be accepting and not judgemental.

But if authors would go that route my concern would be that some viewers might conflate asexuality with apathy/introversion, which are not really connected at all. This has to be handled very carefully.

Judging by the mood and tone of this project, though, such development would be unlikely. It is light romantic story that seems not fit for such unusual things.

Episode 17:

The story of the second pair was genuine to the core, realistic on how guys can be awkward and cowardly in taking first step and how girls, despite it being irrational, would sometimes want to see braveness in those whom they like (events themselves are not quite realistic, though).
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Episode 18:

That was beautiful. From the comedic first half with Ai and the Suna's recent memory with Takeo (lol, the attempted kiss anyways), to the emotional second half, this episode nailed it.

Happy Birthday to Takeo as well.
The spoiler[kiss looked very sweet imo delivered by Yamato to Takeo.]
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:44 pm Reply with quote
spoiler[Kissing] dilemmas.
Looks like both of them are on the same wave length ^^
Guess no surprise there.
It's a bit unusual that Suna isn't into girls or dating.
He seems to be totally uninterested in the matter.
Very nice spoiler[birthday party] ^^
spoiler[Shame Takeo didn't notice the kiss].. he can be so dense sometimes..
It was nice to see him rectify that mistake <3
Sweetness overload!!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 9 of 11