• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha ViVid (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 1:49 pm Reply with quote

Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha ViVid (TV)

Genres: Action, Adventure, Magic
Themes:

Plot Summary: Set four years after StrikerS, Nanoha finally has time to get off her feet. Now explore the Nanoha world in Vivio Takamichi's shoes and her device, Sacred Heart.
----------------------------------

Latest CMs are out now. Wow, it's been awhile since I've seen the Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha franchise (not including the movies I guess). Pretty excited about this one since I hope it will be a 2 cour (there is enough material).

The CM looks cute but of course, there's action in it as well.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 2:04 pm Reply with quote
Looking forward for this one,
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 2:51 pm Reply with quote
Wonder if they'll take the fanservice as far as the manga does.

So full disclosure: I don't believe Nanoha and Fate are a couple so all of my comments will be from that perspective. People tend to get extremely upset when I say that, so if it's going to be a problem let me know and I'll avoid the thread.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 2:58 pm Reply with quote
I'm cool with that. wish something would be done with the metric ton of ship-tease found in all three seasons though
Raftina

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 3:26 pm Reply with quote
Eh, my impression of StrikerS and what I've read of subsequent materials suggest that Nanoha and co were overpowered to the point of making things boring. I'm skeptical about whether shifting focus to Vivio would help anything--StrikerS has a sort of new generation, and Nanoha's (and less so Fate's) looming presence ruining any suspense.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 3:43 pm Reply with quote
Well, Nanoha and Fate are pretty much just background characters in Vivid. However the main plot of Vivid is a spoiler[martial arts tournament] so the stakes are pretty low.

Vivid's meant to be more of a cutesy slice of life fanservice vehicle do don't expect much. Force was the manga that actually took risks and told a serious story. Guess which one got cancelled. Rolling Eyes
Plasmaeclipse

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 4:13 pm Reply with quote
Full Disclosure I have not at all liked the franchise moving forward from StrikerS. I will more than likely end up being the rambling insane wet blanket that hates everything as this series progresses.

That said I am probably going to hate-watch the heck outta this series.

As for Nanoha and Co. being OP. The franchise has always had ways of writing around that. And all things considered every subsequent sequel has always found new and creative ways to completely change the rules of magic so that we have no idea how it actually works so they can pull enemies right out their butts (see I'm already doing it)

Not that it matters since they're minor characters in this series anyways. Honestly I thought changing focus to Vivio was a good way to steer the franchise in a new direction away from the trainwreck of StrikerS. We'll see if they manage to ruin that somehow.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 4:18 pm Reply with quote
StrikerS was the best installment of the franchise, but Vivid is more like season 1 than StrikerS so you might not have a huge issue with it.
Plasmaeclipse

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 4:29 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
StrikerS was the best installment of the franchise, but Vivid is more like season 1 than StrikerS so you might not have a huge issue with it.

I actually have read the manga I just didn't want to be completely negative right off the bat because the series started off okay. But recent chapters have fallen into the same pitfalls StrikerS did. Also citing S1 isn't really that great of an endorsement considering that season meandered around and did nothing until Precia and the TSAB was introduced.

And sorry but I am firmly in the StrikerS was a trainwreck camp. (In hindsight A's was the only series that I really liked although the 1st movie made me turn the corner on S1 by cutting out all the nothing that happened)
MysticMew

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 5:33 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Vivid's meant to be more of a cutesy slice of life fanservice vehicle do don't expect much. Force was the manga that actually took risks and told a serious story. Guess which one got cancelled. Rolling Eyes

Personally out of the two choices. I am glad Vivid was chosen. Not necessarily because it is great. It's pretty much just what you say. Very leisurely, very laid-back. But compared to Force, I'd take Vivid any day. That one undermined so many of the principles that makes the Nanoha series into my absolute personal favorite that it's a crime (and among fans I'm certainly not alone in that opinion). I'd rather still have that third movie which was promised to us for last year already. That six year gap can still be fleshed out a lot.

That being said, as a big fan, I'll watch. But knowing what I am getting into, I do not set the bar too high (which is probably a blessing after my experience with Crystal).
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:27 pm Reply with quote
Vivid is the better manga than Force. serious doesn't mean it's good. Tons Slice of Life anime better than your serious anime.

Last edited by Spotlesseden on Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Plasmaeclipse

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:38 pm Reply with quote
Well allegedly Force hasn't been doing very hot. From what I hear it's reception has always been lukewarm at best. (unfortunately I don't have any hard numbers I don't normally search for this kind of stuff so I would't know where to look). I assume Vivid is doing better since it's being adapted (the series is before Force chronologically but it is a spinoff so who knows). Maybe it'll mean that Force is gonna fizzle out and die like BetrayerS did (I can certainly wish for that). Then again I wish that the 3rd movie, whenever it comes out, would just go completely off the rails and completely invalidate everything post A's.

If someone would like to put up some hard numbers to either verify or rebuke these rumors please do.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:55 pm Reply with quote
Force has been on indefinite hiatus for a long time now. The artist is currently doing yet another retelling of the first season.

Force dared to be different which is always going to make a ton of fans hate it on general principle. Despite claims of wanting something original, people really just want more of what they're familiar with. Having a male protagonist alone sent most of the fandom into a rage. In terms of quality Force was pretty solid and had the leg up on Vivid because there was an actual plot with stakes.

But yeah, Vivid has always sold better than Force, but that's not surprising given the large amount of fanservice in the former. Plus each major retailer had unique covers for the books and you know hardcore collectors made sure to get them all.
Plasmaeclipse

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:06 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Force has been on indefinite hiatus for a long time now. The artist is currently doing yet another retelling of the first season.

Force dared to be different which is always going to make a ton of fans hate it on general principle. Despite claims of wanting something original, people really just want more of what they're familiar with. Having a male protagonist alone sent most of the fandom into a rage. In terms of quality Force was pretty solid and had the leg up on Vivid because there was an actual plot with stakes.

But yeah, Vivid has also sold better than Force, but that's not surprising given the large amount of fanservice in the former. Plus each major retailer had unique covers for the books and you know hardcore collectors made sure to get them all.

There's a large world of difference between being new/fresh and being so different that it might as well be it's own series. Most of the criticism I've seen leveled at the series (as well as reading summaries I don't care enough to actually read it in full) gives me the impression Force had weak characterization, a nonsensical plot, and characters who completely break the rules of magic (though this happens every season frankly) and just an overall feeling that this should have been something new because it just didn't capture what people actually liked about the series.

I can see the situation with Vivid being true it does have more wide appeal (I would still level all the same criticisms except the last at it though)
MysticMew

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 2:40 am Reply with quote
Pretty much that, Plasmaeclipse. Force felt like some different world altogether with the old crew tagged on later. Yes, it has a plot but it is so stock-full of clichés and disrupts other things that make Nanoha likeable... If it had staid with just an original cast, then it could have been somewhat acceptable but like this it just doesn't fit. A friend of mine sent me a funny analyis once which hit it right on. I see if I can find the link again later.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8