• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Top navigation bar links not working...

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Merida

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 12:26 pm Reply with quote
Just tried running FF in safe mode, doesn't make a difference, so it's probably not caused by an add-on.

This is a really weird problem, especially since not everybody seems to get it...
Northlander

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 2:49 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
I'm using Firefox 38.0.5 and I'm not having any trouble. Just saying.

So am I, and I am having trouble. (As noted.) Given how utterly random this situation is, and how the site is only guaranteed (at least for now?) to work with Chrome, it's a really random, bizarre event.

Here's a weird suggestion: since you guys removing the auto pop up function is what marked the starting point of this selective event, how about reenabling it, at least for a couple of days just to see what happens? If it's not a ton of work, I mean.
Touma

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 2:52 pm Reply with quote
Merida wrote:
Just tried running FF in safe mode, doesn't make a difference,

Did you empty the cache?
I have seen situations where a cached page would continue to cause problems even after the browser configuration had been changed.
Just a thought.

It is strange that some of us are using Firefox without problems.
I am using Firefox 39 beta on Windows 7.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 4:57 pm Reply with quote
Northlander wrote:
Here's a weird suggestion: since you guys removing the auto pop up function is what marked the starting point of this selective event, how about reenabling it, at least for a couple of days just to see what happens? If it's not a ton of work, I mean.

Removing the auto pop up was over 2 weeks ago. This is more recent, and it seems to coincide with a different update, but I can't easily roll it back. And since there are plenty of Firefox users without a problem, we know at least it's not directly tied to that update.

BTW, to check for javascript errors in Firefox, open the console with ctrl-shift-K and then (re)load the page.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Northlander

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 11:19 pm Reply with quote
*sigh* Then I don't know what it could be.

The java console shows three things.

1. Something about a SHA-1 certificate and a recommendation to use something stronger.
2. "TypeError: p[6] is undefined". (This is the only one I get in English. 1 and 3 is in Norwegian.)
3. Something along the lines of "Usage of getPreventDefault() is not adviced. Use defaultPrevented instead."

I talked with a friend of mine who is much more competent about this sort of thing, and this was one of the things he asked me to do. He basically said that neither of these errors should cause the mystery shenanigans about the site. Basically, he's as stumped about this as I am.
Merida

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 4:37 am Reply with quote
Tried it on a completey "naked" FF at work, ANN has never been openend in it before and i ran into the same problem. I'm at my wits end as well now. Sad
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 5:30 am Reply with quote
If it was affecting everyone I could understand, but this problem is striking people seemingly at random. Some have it, others don't, and even people with the same operating system and version of Firefox are getting differing outcomes. That like shouldn't be possible. And what does Chrome do (or doesn't do) that makes it immune?

I'm officially baffled.
Dessa

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:45 am Reply with quote
FF users with No Script, can you compare specifically what scripts on the main page are being blocked with my list from the previous page? If having it full and on doesn't work, and having it completely off doesn't work, it may be that there's a script messing things up and a script allowing things to work, and that one needs to be blocked and one allowed.
Touma

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 1:19 pm Reply with quote
^
The only difference in my NoScript is is that I am allowing google-analytics.com and scorecardresearch.com.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 3:59 pm Reply with quote
I'VE SOLVED IT. I've actually solved it.

The only script I had allowed was googleapis.com. I turned that off and once the page refreshed I could not access the navigation bar. Turned it back on and refreshed and I could access it once more. Hallelujah.

FYI, it may be called ajax.googleapis.com.
Touma

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 4:11 pm Reply with quote
^
I was able to duplicate the results that dtm42 got, so I think that he is on to something.

I do not know if this is significant but before this little experiment the url was definitely "googleapis.com." Now it is "ajax.googleapis.com."
Dessa

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:23 pm Reply with quote
I've seen both of those urls in my script list, I'm assuming it's different servers.
Merida

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:11 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
I'VE SOLVED IT. I've actually solved it.

Well, since you didn't have any problems before, it makes sense that fiddling around with the settings would make a difference. Unfortunately enabling/disabling scripts (i've tried all sorts of combinations now...) doesn't seem to change anything for me...
Northlander

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:50 pm Reply with quote
It might be a hint, yeah. Unfortunately, it won't work with me regardless of whether it's open or blocked.

I noticed the site was down for a while, and when it returned, that big image rotation thing (that didn't show any images since the "happening") is gone. Menu selections and links still don't work. Just the articles themselves.
egozi14

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:24 pm Reply with quote
I think that at this point it proven that many have issues

Did someone tell it to the site admins?

I suspect Flash update may cause it (since the update was in the day the issue started) but again I don't know anything about this sort of things so I have no clue
Only chrome seem to be uneffected

Navigating in the site atm is nightmare... hope it will be fixed soon
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3