• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Plastic Memories (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Extremely disappointing. I did not expect Mikgagura to be my favorite Dogakobo show this season but the writer/director for this show have no clue whatsoever where to take this show. Did they do any planning for this series whatsoever?

Please, Dogakobo, never do an original series again if this is the lackluster result. I'm done with this.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 2:30 pm Reply with quote
How spoiler[Isla lost her human partner]..
No wonder she is so withdrawn.
spoiler[Tsukasa really cares about him & she is starting to open up a bit.]
Still, it was hard to deal with the Marcia aftermath..
spoiler[Isla's lifespan] is just too short...
That fact will make their relationship better, but will also be a burden.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 2:49 pm Reply with quote
Episode 6 is actually one of the better episodes of this mess. The characters are beginning to talk out their feelings.

So the question for the viewer is: when you think of Isla is it how cute she is or how dead she is?

Last edited by HaruhiToy on Sun May 10, 2015 10:01 am; edited 1 time in total
TRNielson

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 3:04 pm Reply with quote
Episode 6:

What started off as a great followup to the Marcia incident went downhill shortly after before building back up.

The whole spoiler[stalking Tsukasa] part of the episode really brought it back down to Episode 3 levels. While it might be funny the first time you see it, it's an already overdone anime trope that has more than worn off it's welcome in what could be an entertaining drama. Only bright side to the whole sequence is spoiler[seeing how badass one of the other Giftia, Sherry, is. Throwing a pen into a set of binos from who knows how far away? Why are we only seeing her now? I want more of her!]

A fairly good feels episode. spoiler[Tsukasa and Souka] and spoiler[Tsukasa learning how long Isla has left, and still wanting to stick with her] had quite an emotional effect on me.
st_owly

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 3:33 pm Reply with quote
I can't help but feel the phrase "wasted potential" applies to this show. When it gets it right, it's very good, but it can shoot and miss so badly too. This week's episode was one of the better ones, but it has done better. It's nice to see Tsukasa and Isla getting closer.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 8:07 am Reply with quote
I don't feel as negative as some of you, it is not as strong as it was at first, but there are still some good stuff here. Great that spoiler[he finally found out how long she has left so that it is not some surprise to him near the end]. spoiler[1000 hours] works out to spoiler[5.95 weeks], which is spoiler[keeping up with the episode count.]

The episode also showed at the beginning why she was so set on going despite injured, and spoiler[worried that she ruined another relationship or got him hurt]. She seems to be changing a little, just a while ago she spoiler[spent all off time ignoring everything else on off time, and then she really wanted to see him].
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 1:00 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
So the question for the viewer is: when you think of Isla is it how cute she is or how dead she is?

To me she is a likable and tragic character. She is one of the few highlights from this inconsistent show.
fizix

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 4:25 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
Episode 6 is actually one of the better episodes of this mess. The characters are beginning to talk out their feelings.

Neither, she is part of an enjoyable show, is likeable and provides some decent humour. Her tragic situation of course is central to her character, her impending death and the way moe is applied to her are just a part of that.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Episode 7:

Well that was cute. We get to see Tsukasa and Isla out on a date. I think an important part for this episode is to let Isla experience what human emotions are. Because at this point, she hasn't really become attached to anyone yet. The date allowed her to explore what it's like to have a friend, go out and have fun, and just in general make her feel at ease when not working.

Plus, she only has a month left (according to her database) so it's nice to experience something new.

And I also thought her outfit looked adorable this episode :>
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 1:36 pm Reply with quote

spoiler[Tsukasa was all awkward..
He actually asked Isla on a date LOL
Everything was revolving around that date.
In the end it went sideways due to Tsukasa collapsing..
He totally overworked himself.
At least their bond is even stronger now.]
TRNielson

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 1:48 pm Reply with quote
Episode 7:

This episode, to me, did almost everything right.

For once, most of the humor was spot on. Tsukasa freaking out over Isla washing his underwear was well done and perfectly understandable. Isla having feelings of holding them back and trying to compensate was very relatable. She's such a dunce and I love her for it. The part where she got them lost because she didn't use the navigation was perfect.

We see Tsukasa go through the turmoil that is trying to ask a girl on a date for the first time. Surprisingly, it didn't turn into a "trying to ask her out and sleep with her kind of thing". For all the sexism that men are pigs, here we see all the men accept that it was a friendly date and not an attempt to get Tsukasa laid. Thankfully all the women went along with it and didn't start offering anti-rape advice.

The amusement park scene was very well done. We see Isla actually open up without holding anything back. For a character that has usually spoken only as much as possible, seeing her open up with Tsukasa was heartwarming. The Ferris Wheel and the montage before it perfectly capturing an enjoyable day with someone you care about.

Everything had gone perfectly! And then...Tsukasa passes out into Isla's breasts. Granted, did I find it slightly funny? Yes. Did it ruin the perfect mood the episode had established? Yes. He could have simply passed out into her lap or the floor and it would have worked just as well. Instead, had to get a small fanservice/awkward sexual moment in.

At least we got a good final laugh as Isla experiences the horror of staying up all night. Hope she gets her batteries recharged.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 8:50 pm Reply with quote
I am in the "disappointed where this is going" camp. The tedium of the Isla and Tsukasa starting a relationship is really grating. Normally, I try not to indulge in "this is what I would have done if I was in control" comments, but I can't help it: to me, this show would have been so much more palatable if they had gone the route of where Tsukasa was determined NOT to fall for Isla but just ultimately couldn't help himself. Watching all this faux-dating, faux-couple crud is so boring with an overlay of creepiness.

Also, I'm wondering if we are being prepared for a Tsukasa dies first ending? He seems to have some sort of health issue.

@ ookamigirl - you no longer have to spoiler tag your episode summaries. Read this:

Link that explains the above and other stuff about how to use spoiler tags correctly
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 9:18 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Watching all this faux-dating, faux-couple crud is so boring with an overlay of creepiness.

I have been waiting for someone to complain about the creepiness of working up a dating relationship with an 8-year-old virgin. Is that what you are referring to?

I have to agree this story is making a lot of mis-steps that I would like to re-write. When they were at their best was when they were with three-girls-sitting-on-a-bed-talking-about-dates thing. Probably the worst was with the totally ungracious wrestling match with the guy's underwear. (get over yourself dude) And I see the falling-unconscious thing as totally unnecessary.

Yet I do have a feeling of where this is going. They are going to save Isla through some breakthrough and the Power Of Love (POL) or something like that. I put the odds of that at .58922 at this point.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 9:50 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
I have been waiting for someone to complain about the creepiness of working up a dating relationship with an 8-year-old virgin. Is that what you are referring to?

Not really. For me, the creepy aspect is that Giftias are machines. "Dating" one is akin to treating it like an AI sex doll. I know that Tsukasa has no sexual designs on Isla, but wanting to go out on a "date" with one seems kind of icky. Again, I know we are supposed to be focusing on the fact that Tsukasa wants to give her as many good memories as possible before her time is up, but there are ways of doing that that don't involve being a faux-couple.
kinghumanity

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 12:52 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
HaruhiToy wrote:

Not really. For me, the creepy aspect is that Giftias are machines. "Dating" one is akin to treating it like an AI sex doll. I know that Tsukasa has no sexual designs on Isla, but wanting to go out on a "date" with one seems kind of icky. Again, I know we are supposed to be focusing on the fact that Tsukasa wants to give her as many good memories as possible before her time is up, but there are ways of doing that that don't involve being a faux-couple.

He likes her. He also wants her to have as many good memories as possible. What do you think should happen if not go on a date?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 8 of 12