• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Plastic Memories (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 10:41 am Reply with quote
Episode 8

So despite Andie having no memories spoiler[of being Olivia, even having a quite different personality, for some reason she gets along with Andie despite bad a bad first impression]. Andie for some reason spoiler[got attached to the idea of the festival, and seemed to like her].

What was a good surprise part was Eru showing that the spoiler[reason extra person has to come on the date is because it was a painful thing for doing the same thing]. Also it looked like the truth was not entirely that spoiler[she brought him to show him the truth, but that she might have brought him for herself for the little bit of extra hope].

My theory about an ending to the series will be that in end we will see spoiler[Isla with new OS and different personality, perhaps his new partner, there will be no evidence that any memory remains]. But then she will sspoiler[ay something that sounds familiar, something that says that she is different but something still continues on], which will probably be spoiler[saying "error"]. I think I saw that in a movie once, or at least reminding me of one I can't remember.
Raftina

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 12:00 pm Reply with quote
I saw the speculation on a blog that the reason Tsukasa is shown being a sickly person is that the writer intended for him to die before Isla to give a surprise ending. Some other users speculated that it would be used as a together in death device.

Having been exposed to the idea, I must say I am oddly attached to it, so I will place my bet on that outcome.

I am opposed to the idea that DuskyPredator proposed. Having Isla's successor act in a way that is reminiscent of Isla is too contrary to the premise of the series. The setup is a bit too much like real world planned obsolescence for that kind of miracle.
TRNielson

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 1:34 pm Reply with quote
Raftina wrote:
I saw the speculation on a blog that the reason Tsukasa is shown being a sickly person is that the writer intended for him to die before Isla to give a surprise ending. Some other users speculated that it would be used as a together in death device.

Those people need to rewatch the episode, then. Tsukasa isn't a sickly person. He merely overworked himself at the office, then spent an entire day at the fair with Isla. I'd be exhausted, too.

If we saw Tsukasa pass out multiple times during the show, then I could see that as a possibility. But it's only happened once. Jumping on the "he's gonna die!" theory is way too premature.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Yes, after a couple of lackluster/irritating episodes, eppie 8 was a return to form, imo. I have always known that this was a show about death and that the Giftia retrieval was just an analogy about dealing with death, but this episode really drove it home. Eru's, er, "bosom" buddy Olivia is dead. She no longer exists. Andie may look like her, but she is not her. Eru has the right idea: treasure the memories she has, but focus on making new ones with a person who isn't simply a replacement for her dead friend, but a different person in her own right.

In these cases, I'm of two minds. There's the softie me who wants these two crazy kids (Tsukasa and Isla) to somehow make it. So that side of me sort of wants the, "Isla is gone, but here she is again, long live Isla!" However, the side of me who appreciates story-telling that sticks to its guns rather than take the easy way out and throw a sop to the audience sort of wants the show not to flinch. Isla will be gone. She's not coming back. Tsukasa, deal with this. There was another show a few years back that had kind of a similar situation in that you liked the couple and wanted them to be able to remain together, but there was something that should have made it impossible. The show basically wimped out at the end and said, "yeah, we know we've indicated this is impossible, but we're doing it anyway!" I was kind of happy and kind of let down.

If you happen to recognize the show I'm talking about, please put any reference to it in spoiler tags and identify it as speculation so that someone who hasn't seen it doesn't get the ending ruined.

I'm not really expecting the show to be hardass, though.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 4:20 pm Reply with quote
Nope, not that one. Just so that I don't get spoiled by checking other people's speculations, I'll just put the title in spoiler tags below:

spoiler[The Dusk Maiden of Amnesia]
Yamstarch

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 7:25 am Reply with quote
Isla angry/jealous/frustrated face is one of the best things ever.

I can't wait to see how this series ends, but I'm not ready to be sad either.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 1:42 pm Reply with quote
Episode 9:

Cute episode although I think there are some obvious things:

1) Isla likes Tsukasa based on her reactions and..
2) Michiru has a sort of crush on Tsukasa but she is willing to cheer up for Isla and him instead.

Now I wonder about...the dissolution of their partnership announced by Kazuki at the end. How will this affect their relationship? Isla's only got a month to live...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 2:09 pm Reply with quote
Shame he got turned down.
Yup, Tsukasa has it bad...
spoiler[spoiler[All and any attempts to cheer him up were in vain.
Well, at least Isla wasn't indifferent about the confession.
Their relationship was all everyone could talk about.
That bombshell at the end was not that unexpected]
]
.. but still..
TRNielson

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 2:20 pm Reply with quote
Episode 9

Riding off the high that the last episode brought, it wasn't too surprising that this episode didn't reach nearly as high.

The start absolutely killed me with shocked-Tsukasa working across from Isla. Every time he popped up in his Shocked Mode, I started laughing.

Isla in a bunny outfit was pretty funny, too. Isla actually had plenty of entertaining faces throughout this episode.

This episode seemed to place Michiru almost in the spotlight as she tried to act as the mediator between the two. And, honestly, I wish she hadn't. Of all the characters in the show, Michiru is the one I like the least. It's obvious she has a thing for Tsukasa and tries to hide it by pulling an Asuka from Evangelion and constantly berating her love interest.

Michiru nearly climbed up my character list, however, during the steps scene with Tsukasa. Although Tsukasa didn't get the response he had hoped for, his resolve to stick with Isla till the end hasn't faded one bit. And that determination against Michiru's hopelessness for the situation played perfectly off of eachother. It was going so well...then she ruined it by "puffing her chest" and saying how she was gonna get the two together. Instantly killed the moment for me.

Of course, has to end on semi cliffhanger as Kazuki announces the end of Tsukasa and Isla's partnership. Is it gonna stick, though? I have a feeling it's gonna be a showdown next episode.
12skippy21

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 3:47 pm Reply with quote
While the show has improved a bit over the last two episodes ultimately the focus on humour and fanservice in certain episodes has done it a massive disservice. It feels tacked on. One of my favourite series of last season, Death Parade, did the same but with a level of panache and emotion this show has lacked despite the brilliant first episode and simply has not recovered.

One of my irritations with anime in a nutshell. Not every show has to have fanservice in it (or at least not fanservice for the sake of a fanservice).
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 5:32 pm Reply with quote
Am I the only one shipping Kazuki x Yasutaka?

Anyway, not a bad eppie. Just three left until the waterworks, folks. Very curious how this is gonna get wrapped up.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 9:38 am Reply with quote
TRNielson wrote:
This episode seemed to place Michiru almost in the spotlight as she tried to act as the mediator between the two. And, honestly, I wish she hadn't. Of all the characters in the show, Michiru is the one I like the least. It's obvious she has a thing for Tsukasa and tries to hide it by pulling an Asuka from Evangelion and constantly berating her love interest.

It has seemed pretty clear in her character that ironically for what she says, she is the actual amateur, especially with the opposite sex. I would not say she has been getting in the way because she is pining for him, it does seem mostly from her wanting to protect Isla. Yes she does seem to have a thing for him, we know that she has an interest in having him be as helpful to clients as possible, and she is protective of Isla, before now that has led her to act one way, but now she thinks another.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 1:38 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Just three left until the waterworks, folks. Very curious how this is gonna get wrapped up.

Care to put money on it? I have already posted my prediction. The what -- not exactly how.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 1:44 pm Reply with quote
Episode 10:

GRATS. It came sooner than I had thought but congrats to Isla and Tsukasa. I wonder how far they can go with this relationship though. I mean, Isla does have a limited lifespan...

Also, I think Isla's VA did the OST song near the end. Someone want to confirm this? I'm just guessing though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 2:03 pm Reply with quote

spoiler[Tearing those two apart with so little time left...
Not a very nice thing to do.
Kazuki was just being cruel..
Even with new pairing things went fine.
Kazuki seemed to be freaking out more that anyone.
Facing deep feelings is never easy.
Isla finally faced hers & confessed.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 10 of 12