• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Splitting up the Higurashi Manga

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:15 pm Reply with quote
manga#10497

So, this desperately needs a treatment similar to the Alice in the Country of series. There are different artists for each arc. I'd like the go ahead to undertake the task of splitting it up and moving the releases to the appropriate arcs.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:19 am Reply with quote
We've had a thread about this before somewhere, and I thought we already had multiple entries... yes there's also manga#6838

The thread I was thinking of is here: animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=323111
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:28 am Reply with quote
So, uh what's the difference between these two manga entries?
manga#6838
manga#10497

I mean other than the fact that one only includes the English title and the other one only includes the Japanese titles?

This looks like something that should have been merged a long time ago.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dessa

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:43 am Reply with quote
The newer one definitely has more/better info (like the summary), but I don't see any difference in what they cover.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:33 pm Reply with quote
I'd say an anthology is required to collect different adaptations; let's start with listing titles in Japanese and US English (a relationship tree is welcomed).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:43 pm Reply with quote
Okay, great. Should I make individual entries and then we'll collect them in an anthology?

Edit: For now, I'll rename the first entry (with all the releases attached) as the first one. I'm going to ignore the older one with less information. I'll make a tree based on the thread Shiroi shared.

Question Arc + Answer Arc (Answer Arc marked as the "sequel") of its corresponding question arc.

Each Question Arc will be marked as an "alternate retelling" of the first entry.

The Question Arcs can then be marked as part of the When They Cry: Higurashi manga anthology.[/code]
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 3:08 pm Reply with quote
The releases list gives a pretty good breakdown of the English arc names thus far:

Abducted by Demons
Cotton Drifting
Curse Killing
Time Killing
Beyond Midnight
Eye Opening
Atonement
Massacre
Festival Accompanying
Dice Killing

I believe "Demon Exposing" was a one-off side story?
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 3:16 pm Reply with quote
There are a few that are side-stories or sequels, so those won't be marked as retellings. Once the anthology entry is made, if someone would be kind enough to go to the less-information entry and change the greenlinks, that'd be very helpful.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:35 pm Reply with quote
Update: All licensed Higurashi manga now have their own entries, releases are moved, and a relationship tree is established. The "Curse Killing Arc" was used as the main entry more or less since it follows the "correct" time line in the manga, with the others marked as alternate retellings, etc.

manga#16879
-----
What still needs done:
Volume reviews need linked to the correct arc
Release dates need purged/moved
So do chapter titles
An anthology needs made
News items need moved to said anthology

animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/manga.php?id=10497&page=28

Unless this entry can be repurposed for the anthology entry, it needs hidden because it's a duplicate: manga#6838
Dessa

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:22 pm Reply with quote
I actually object to the "answer" arcs being listed as sequels to the "question" arcs, and the other "question/answer" arcs being listed as "alternate retelling"

If you know the story, while yes, the question and answer arcs do go together, you'll also know that the arcs ARE sequential to each other. While it is a bit of a Groundhog's Day loop, the information revealed in each one is vital to the final solution. Also, the relationships between the "question" and "answer" arcs aren't the same between arcs, nor do any of them even take place in the same time line as their question arc.

Spoilers for story spoiler[Literally, each arc is sequential, in that Rika is resetting time every time that things end up going wrong. Each time, something new is learned, so that a mistake can be avoided. This eventually culminates in an "everybody lives" world. It's very much like what Homura did in Madoka. Had we gotten arcs about each of the previous worlds in Madoka, would you consider those "alternate retellings", despite the fact that Homura continues in a linear line through them?]

Plus, you have a number of arcs that don't have a corresponding "question" or "answer" arc. Or could be seen as alternate endings to later arcs (Beyond Midnight is an alternate epilogue to events that happened in the Atonement Arc, though not specifically an alternate epilogue to the Atonement Arc).

I would treat each arc as a sequel to the preceding arc, as presented by Yen's release.

Also, there already is a anthology entry, including the manga, the anime, and the live action.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:35 am Reply with quote
If you check the link above, you'll see that I didn't list them as sequels like I originally said. The answer arcs are just listed as related to their respective question arcs.

"Alternate retellings" is currently the most accurate way to describe the question arcs relations to each other. They're basically alternate timelines of the same story, although technically in the game the information gathered from each one leads to the ability to get the correct ending. But we don't have any kind of relationship to describe that.

Re: Homura example doesn't work in this case. For that example to work all of the books would need to follow Rika while she knows that she's hopping through timelines, but that's not how the arcs are presented at all.

I also strongly disagree with presenting the answer arcs as sequels to one another instead of coupling them with their respective question arcs. I think displaying them this way is the most informative to the reader, especially given how confusing all of it can be.

Quote:
(Beyond Midnight is an alternate epilogue to events that happened in the Atonement Arc, though not specifically an alternate epilogue to the Atonement Arc).

It's currently represented that way in the tree. We have to allow some wiggle room given how the franchise works.

Re: another anthology
Dormcat has already said he intends to make another Anthology for the manga, so that was his decision.
Dessa

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:23 am Reply with quote
octopodpie wrote:
Re: Homura example doesn't work in this case. For that example to work all of the books would need to follow Rika while she knows that she's hopping through timelines, but that's not how the arcs are presented at all.

spoiler[Except for the fact that she does.]
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:26 am Reply with quote
Right, but the majority of the books don't follow her. They're from Keiichi's perspective. It isn't until we get into one of the answer arcs that things switch up a bit. The rest of the arcs are written from Keiichi's perspective and presented as him in alternate timelines.
Dessa

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:57 am Reply with quote
It still doesn't change the fact that they are a completely sequential story, just because the POV character isn't the character aware of the loop. These aren't alternate retellings, they're a sequential Groundhog's Day loop, with each arc leading into the next one.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:27 am Reply with quote
I believe all the review topics are updated now.

I think it would have been better to merge the two entries before splitting, since the orphan manga#6838 already contained a number of the artists.
I don't believe I'm actually capable of splitting and merging titles however.

--edit--

The problem with the current layout is that the anthology links to Abducted by Demons Arc, but you can't actually see the whole "tree" from that title; if you're trying to navigate the manga titles it's not obvious that you have to start with Curse Killing Arc since that is actually the 5th and 6th volumes.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2