• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Nintendo CEO Satoru Iwata: Report on Live-Action Zelda Series is Incorrect

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ReifuTD

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:47 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
My best guess: There actually WAS some effort to make a live-action Zelda series, but it was done without permission from Nintendo; there was a violation of a non-disclosure agreement; or they contacted Nintendo, Nintendo gave them some documentation, and it was misinterpreted as permission to go ahead.

I don't know, I think companies make proof of concept productions all the time. A few year back concept art for different Nintendo franchise based comics that Archie Comics was pitching to Nintendo came out.
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:45 am Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:

Or maybe they both had better things to do than comment on an obviously bogus rumor and thought people would be smart enough to realize it was bogus. Turns out people needed it to be said that there is not going to be a Netflix series because it's too much to ask for them to figure it out on their own.

No, they would've dispelled the rumor immediately. If a big news source announce something which wasn't true, you don't stay silent and denied it a month later. That would be like CNN doing a report of me being a terrorist and I wait a month later to deny and denounced CNN for that accusation.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:04 pm Reply with quote
ReifuTD wrote:

I don't know, I think companies make proof of concept productions all the time. A few year back concept art for different Nintendo franchise based comics that Archie Comics was pitching to Nintendo came out.

Yeah, pitches happen all the time without input in order to convince companies to let their IPs be adapted. Nintendo at this point is pretty much impenetrable when it comes to that as they've seen before that most companies wanting to get ahold of their IPs can't be trusted.
Polycell

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:49 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
As for why Iwata has taken so long to make a comment about this, well, it takes time for information to trickle on up, and this was concerning foreign streaming television, which is far outside of Nintendo's focus. Odds are Iwata didn't know about this until recently and likely needed some time to figure out exactly what to say. It's Nintendo's style to be very careful and calculated in everything it does.
Show or no show, I'm pretty sure what's "not based on correct information" is the Game of Thrones comparison. If there was something in the works, this delay could reflect Netflix being given a chance to beg for clemency, though it'd read equally well as Nintendo publically telling them the deal's off as announcing they're satisfied with the direction Netflix now plans to take the series.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 1:14 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, Iwata's wording is incredibly vague, and I don't know if the original Japanese was just as vague or not. It's these sorts of statements that give the impression that Nintendo bigwigs carefully pick every word they say.

AiddonValentine wrote:
Yeah, pitches happen all the time without input in order to convince companies to let their IPs be adapted. Nintendo at this point is pretty much impenetrable when it comes to that as they've seen before that most companies wanting to get ahold of their IPs can't be trusted.

I recall in one of the Nintendo Directs columns sometime in the first half of 2014 that Satoru Iwata plans to open up licensing deals, though I don't know which one it is and I can't just search through all of them because they're so long. I just remember it stood out to me as Nintendo is notoriously shut tight when it comes to licensing deals and has been since the NES days.

What incidents have there been that led Nintendo to not trust licensors? If it's regarding adaptations, companies like SEGA and Midway would let people adapt their IPs all the time in the 90's and never cared. Heck, Capcom let REALLY weird stuff like Novas Aventuras de Megaman happen (such as Roll being naked for most of the series), and the only real input given was to remove an editor who used the comic for jingoistic soapboxing.
mdo7

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:32 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:

What incidents have there been that led Nintendo to not trust licensors? If it's regarding adaptations, companies like SEGA and Midway would let people adapt their IPs all the time in the 90's and never cared. Heck, Capcom let REALLY weird stuff like Novas Aventuras de Megaman happen (such as Roll being naked for most of the series), and the only real input given was to remove an editor who used the comic for jingoistic soapboxing.

Wow that's really interesting, thanks for the info. Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:47 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, Novas Aventuras de Megaman was basically taking a bunch of 90's DeviantArt type illustrators, fanfiction writers, and a publisher and Capcom giving them all carte blanche.
mdo7

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:16 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Yeah, Novas Aventuras de Megaman was basically taking a bunch of 90's DeviantArt type illustrators, fanfiction writers, and a publisher and Capcom giving them all carte blanche.

Well if Capcom appreciate it then I guess I have no complaint. But I wish Nintendo could be more uh "open-minded" when it comes to this.
gloverrandal

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:15 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
I recall in one of the Nintendo Directs columns sometime in the first half of 2014 that Satoru Iwata plans to open up licensing deals, though I don't know which one it is and I can't just search through all of them because they're so long. I just remember it stood out to me as Nintendo is notoriously shut tight when it comes to licensing deals and has been since the NES days.

What incidents have there been that led Nintendo to not trust licensors?

Nintendo is only tight when it comes to western companies handling licenses. Nintendo likes to have creative control on their products, which is hard to with western companies. We ended up with results like the original live-action Mario movie, to things like Captain N, the 90s Mario cartoons, and the CDI games when Nintendo wasn't involved in the creation process. This is why Netflix producing a series seemed odd to me and unlike Nintendo.

In Japan, however, Nintendo has quite a number of adaptions and licenses over the years. There are dozens of manga based on properties like Mario, Metroid, Zelda, Pokemon, and Kirby, as well as anime series like Hoshi not Kirby and F-Zero Falcon Densetsu. Very few of these ever made it to America though, and those that did were altered heavily.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 11:39 pm Reply with quote
One western product that came out was Au'some Candies' Super Mario 3-D gummies, which, personally, are the single best gummy snacks I've ever had, and definitely, along with their Bob-omb sour powder case, their longest-running product. (I can now find those gummies in bulk in candy shops too.)

Something that I did find interesting was an increase in Nintendo-themed figurines shortly after that announcement by Iwata, though of course they're still all from Japanese companies, so you have a point there, one I never actually noticed.

Of course, I also think that there isn't as much interest in adapting Nintendo-themed properties in the west nowadays compared to in the 90's or even the 00's, as the video game landscape has changed a lot. Japanese games have fallen hugely out of favor--though Nintendo is one of the holdouts, and a major one at that, Nintendo doesn't have quite the street cred that Activision or Ubisoft have today. Something like Mario or Pokémon are seen as "babyish" (the kids object to the word "kiddy," because they don't want to be associated with family-friendly stuff), and the likes of Zelda would be less hot a property than Elder Scrolls or Fable, and same with Metroid compared to Halo or Call of Duty.
mdo7

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 11:50 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:

Of course, I also think that there isn't as much interest in adapting Nintendo-themed properties in the west nowadays compared to in the 90's or even the 00's, as the video game landscape has changed a lot. Japanese games have fallen hugely out of favor--though Nintendo is one of the holdouts, and a major one at that, Nintendo doesn't have quite the street cred that Activision or Ubisoft have today. Something like Mario or Pokémon are seen as "babyish" (the kids object to the word "kiddy," because they don't want to be associated with family-friendly stuff), and the likes of Zelda would be less hot a property than Elder Scrolls or Fable, and same with Metroid compared to Halo or Call of Duty.

Yeah let's not forget Nintendo has snubbed 3rd party titles (I think around 80% or 90% of them), that's why I haven't seen a GTA 5 for Wii U, and the same goes for Destiny. Even the recent Call of Duty and Battlefield games don't have Wii U releases at all.
Polycell

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:04 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
Yeah let's not forget Nintendo has snubbed 3rd party titles (I think around 80% or 90% of them), that's why I haven't seen a GTA 5 for Wii U, and the same goes for Destiny. Even the recent Call of Duty and Battlefield games don't have Wii U releases at all.
Actually, it's the other way around: third parties have been avoiding Nintendo for ages. When they first set up shop, Nintendo of America set restrictions on what content was allowed to be in games on their consoles, eventually causing a number of developers to flee to more liberal consoles when the customer base allowed. On top of the kiddy image they built, the N64 and Gamecube both had little storage for games, Wii was ridiculously underpowered for its generation and the Wii U has little market penetration compared to its peers.
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Of course, I also think that there isn't as much interest in adapting Nintendo-themed properties in the west nowadays compared to in the 90's or even the 00's, as the video game landscape has changed a lot. Japanese games have fallen hugely out of favor--though Nintendo is one of the holdouts, and a major one at that, Nintendo doesn't have quite the street cred that Activision or Ubisoft have today.
The decline in popularity of Japanese games was inevitable; the only reason they had a chance was that it was effectively a non-market after ET phoned home, so when Nintendo built it, they came to what was there. The rise of Sony's PlayStation meant that a game could be in violation of NoA's content restrictions and still be a contender(coming within a hair's breadth of an AO game at one point) and from there western creations slowly grew their own character.
Quote:
Something like Mario or Pokémon are seen as "babyish" (the kids object to the word "kiddy," because they don't want to be associated with family-friendly stuff), and the likes of Zelda would be less hot a property than Elder Scrolls or Fable, and same with Metroid compared to Halo or Call of Duty.
Actually, I'd say The Ocarina of Time is still a fairly hot property: it's family friendly without being kiddy and nostalgic as all get out. Make a good series that captures that and you'll probably have half a generation of gamers throwing money at you.
gloverrandal

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:09 am Reply with quote
mdo7u wrote:

Saying Nintendo snubed 3rd parties is kind of misleading. Nintendo has a lot of third party support, it's just they're all on the DS and 3Ds rather than the Wii and Wii U because console gaming has declined in Japan. The 3DS has plenty of third party titles and companies making lots of games for it. As far as American companies are concerned, they have tried making games on consoles but they don't sell. Nintendo fans don't buy Nintendo consoles for third parties. Call of Duty is on the Wii U but it sold terrible. Nobody who plays on the Wii U wants to play those kinds of AAA action games like Call of Duty or Assassin's Creed. They buy Nintendo consoles to play Nintendo games. EA and Ubisoft aren't going to bother releasing games to a fanbase that won't buy them.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:17 pm Reply with quote
Well, the Wii did catch on in Japan too. But like every other region, it was marketed outside of the normal gaming audiences. Most 3rd-party companies weren't sure what to make of this, and they interpreted the Wii's success, and of Wii Sports, Wii Play, and Wii Fit, as a fad of stripped down gameplay and minigame collections for dumb people. Hence, games that talked down to its players came out like Boogie (which practically plays itself) and Carnival Games (which was shovelware with good timing). In other words, Nintendo, and to a lesser extent SEGA and Capcom, were the only companies taking this expanded audience seriously (even if Ubisoft was trying desperately to make it work), and they were the only companies that found success on the Wii. That's why 3rd-party support dried up: They didn't know how to sell to this new audience, who turned out to be more savvy and choosy than they expected. You're seeing the very same thing happening on the mobile front: Whatever EA and Activision release for mobile systems tend to be rushed and condescending, whereas companies like Zynga and Gameloft (as much as I dislike their business practices) understand the mobile audience's desires and succeed.

On the other side, the already existing gaming audience saw the Wii's marketing towards other audiences and got turned off from it. The Xbox 360 and PS3 were the cool kids' systems, and Nintendo went from the system babies play to the system grandmas play. Nintendo's thoroughly uncool image persisted, which I don't think Nintendo can easily shake, since Nintendo strives for a family image, precisely the thing both Sony and Microsoft distance themselves from. Hence, I think GTA and Call of Duty games tend to sell worse on Nintendo systems not because Nintendo fans won't buy them, but because the people who WILL buy them prefer the other systems due to their image. And Nintendo-like games and IPs do sell well on Nintendo systems, like Sonic (until recently) and Rayman. I think it's the same deal as why The Black Cauldron was a box office failure: This was an animated film intended for more mature audiences. The people who would've otherwise gone to see The Black Cauldron didn't want to see a movie from Disney, and Disney fans didn't like how un-Disney it was.
mdo7

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:48 pm Reply with quote
After reading several of your post, I stand corrected and I will agree 3rd party are turning away from Wii U. But one thing I don't understand:

Quote:
Call of Duty is on the Wii U but it sold terrible. Nobody who plays on the Wii U wants to play those kinds of AAA action games like Call of Duty or Assassin's Creed.

Even if 3rd party AAA games don't get released on Wii U, I know sport games like Madden, 2K sports get released on all consoles (except Wii U) and they sell really well amongsts casual and hardcore gamers but giving Wii U is a family friendly console, I find it odd that several Madden games and 2K sports games are not being released on Wii U.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3